Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,315,248 times

Advertisements

For those who really want to understand what migrant farm workers go through here in the U.S. it would be good to read the following book:

Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States (California Series in Public Anthropology)
by Seth Holmes

Here is my own review on it:

"Very few books I read ever get 5 stars. I only wish I could give a 5 start review, but I can't. I have read other first hand accounts of what Hispanics go through while working in the fields and spent my time writing a protest poem about it. This book goes deep into all the aspects of being a migrant farm worker today.

I have heard so many people complain that white people don't want to work in the fields because they are lazy and want welfare or Mexicans are taking away their jobs. I have heard my Mexican friends complain that white people quit within a week and can't do the work. And I have heard white people tell me that they worked in the fields when they were kids, well, only for a day, and it wasn't so bad.

Once you read this book you will see just how bad it is to work in the fields and how Hispanics are the new indentured servants. You will even learn that even Hispanics can't work past middle age in most cases."

What you have to realize here is that the author went to Oaxaca and found that the Mexicans there were jobless and starving due to NAFTA. To stay would be death, to cross the border could also mean death, but at least there was hope. The author crossed the border with the Oaxacans and then worked along side of them in the States. He experienced the horrifying conditions that they had to work under. There is a reason they have jobs that Americans don't want and can't do. If you think slavery was bad, well, this isn't any different.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,159,253 times
maybe this thread should be moved to the migrant workers forum or something. Illegals have made a choice to violate our laws. Violate our rights as a nation. Criminal behavior is an unsafe behavior that leads to heart aches and misfortunes.
For the record I grew up on a Dairy farm. I worked 365 days a year. spring summer and fall a short day was 12 hours.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM

157 posts, read 136,794 times
Why are you making this about race? The US is the most diverse nation in the world and it also takes in more legal immigrants every year than any other country. There are more than "white people" here.

Also, you are aware that there are unlimited visas for agriculture work? Growers just don't like to use them because they have to follow the rules and it's easier to bring in illegals and shove the social costs onto American taxpayers. Then the middle class and wealthy in their own countries laugh all the way to the bank as they have managed to abdicate their responsibility in caring for their own poor.

Illegals aren't all here working the fields. Many have pushed American citizens (not just white!) out if jobs these citizens would like to do.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,127,872 times
Conditions for agricultural workers and illegal immigration are not the same issue.

I agree that conditions for agricultural workers are often horrific, and this is to maximize profit.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,837,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
For those who really want to understand what migrant farm workers go through here in the U.S. it would be good to read the following book:

Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States (California Series in Public Anthropology)
by Seth Holmes

"Very few books I read ever get 5 stars. I only wish I could give a 5 start review, but I can't. I have read other first hand accounts of what Hispanics go through while working in the fields and spent my time writing a protest poem about it. This book goes deep into all the aspects of being a migrant farm worker today.

I have heard so many people complain that white people don't want to work in the fields because they are lazy and want welfare or Mexicans are taking away their jobs. I have heard my Mexican friends complain that white people quit within a week and can't do the work. And I have heard white people tell me that they worked in the fields when they were kids, well, only for a day, and it wasn't so bad.

Once you read this book you will see just how bad it is to work in the fields and how Hispanics are the new indentured servants. You will even learn that even Hispanics can't work past middle age in most cases."

What you have to realize here is that the author went to Oaxaca and found that the Mexicans there were jobless and starving due to NAFTA. To stay would be death, to cross the border could also mean death, but at least there was hope. The author crossed the border with the Oaxacans and then worked along side of them in the States. He experienced the horrifying conditions that they had to work under. There is a reason they have jobs that Americans don't want and can't do. If you think slavery was bad, well, this isn't any different.
Maybe 3 to 5 percent of ILLEGAL aliens work in agriculture. Too; it's their CHOICE to come here and ruin themselves. The REAL reason many farmers like them is BECAUSE they can be overworked and can't fight back. Treat Americans or legal aliens like dirt and there WILL be problems.

Oaxaca: That ain't our problem; Mexico ain't poor like Haiti, let Mexico take care of its own.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,858,542 times
Simple solution, STAY THE HELL HOME WHERE they belong, PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

BTW these unscrupulous employers of Illegal aliens deserve to be prosecuted and bankrupted.

If these losers didn't pump out babies they can't afford or respected and followed US laws and sovereignity they wouldn't be in that position.

This is why their are laws in the USA for Americans AND LEGAL immigrants.

In closing, their choice, their loss....Oh well....

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,319,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post

by Seth Holmes

If the Mexicans don't like it they're free to go back to Mexico or remain there in the first place.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,494,270 times
Then the humane thing would be to send these poor suffering people home and have machines do the work.

Anyhow there are only about 1 million total jobs in agriculture including fish hatcheries, and about 25% are estimated to be illegals --- which accounts for about 250,000 illegals. So where are the sob stories for the other illegals?

Robotics is the answer, robots could do the harvest 24-7, wouldn't have tons of children that need expensive schooling and health care. Robots can do perform surgeries on the human body, they can build cars, it's time to expand robotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration