U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times

Advertisements

I prefer legal ones..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,216 times
If you look at other countries, or in history, you KNOW that "multiculturalism" never works - it creates tension, which is what is happening now in America.

It might be a nice dream, but it doesn't work in reality.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
you didnt answer the question. do you prefer smart immigrants or dumb ones? pick one of the two options.
Actually I did, just not in the manner you wanted me to. I perfer no immigrants at all until we end all poverty in this country. And there is a lot of it.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM

1,510 posts, read 708,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Actually I did, just not in the manner you wanted me to. I perfer no immigrants at all until we end all poverty in this country. And there is a lot of it.
oh my god.. ok, let me reword this yet again:

if your country was FORCED to accept a certain number of immigrants, would you prefer smart or dumb ones?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
oh my god.. ok, let me reword this yet again:

if your country was FORCED to accept a certain number of immigrants, would you prefer smart or dumb ones?
It's not an either or type situation. There are other options available.

If we are FORCED to either leave the border open and let illegals steal jobs our poor need, or close it entirely and protect our markets, I'd choose to close it.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
It's not an either or type situation. There are other options available.

If we are FORCED to either leave the border open and let illegals steal jobs our poor need, or close it entirely and protect our markets, I'd choose to close it.
you refuse to answer because any sensible person would prefer smart immigrants in their country, and that would be too much of a concession to the point that we need to help provide education to them rather than complain how much they are ruining our current educational process.

i guess if you dodge the question, the problem will go away, right?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
you refuse to answer because any sensible person would prefer smart immigrants in their country, and that would be too much of a concession to the point that we need to help provide education to them rather than complain how much they are ruining our current educational process.

That's not valid GHOST, because the vast majority of immigrants coming here are not educated. Besides, look at public schools all along our border. Test scores have dropped dramatically since public schools have had to begin spending millions and millions and millions of dollars on ESL courses.

Again, it's not an either or type of situation. No matter how many times you ask an invalid question. Educating foreign students at a time when we are struggling to educate our own simply doesn't make sense.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That's not valid GHOST, because the vast majority of immigrants coming here are not educated.
which is why i argue in favor of providing them with education.

Quote:
Besides, look at public schools all along our border. Test scores have dropped dramatically since public schools have had to begin spending millions and millions and millions of dollars on ESL courses.
i would love to see your source for the claim that our public school failure is due to money spent on ESL courses. until then, it's just an unsubstantiated claim with zero merit.

dont forget, it is OUR president that is responsible for no child left behind. we are responsible for the failures in our educational system. different times call for different educational means. our economy is weak, so we should be teaching personal finance classes. college is out of reach for many, so we should be providing technical/vocational training at a high school level. we need to uncensor our nation's true history in the classroom, and educate more kids about current political processes, laws, rights, and how they can affect them. math should be taught to the level of basic algebra. anything beyond should be optional. physical education should be mandatory. so should nutrition/health classes. the sciences should be optional. arts and music should be more readily available as options. and last, but not least, language studies should be mandatory and largely encouraged at the youngest of ages, especially.

Quote:
Again, it's not an either or type of situation. No matter how many times you ask an invalid question. Educating foreign students at a time when we are struggling to educate our own simply doesn't make sense.
reforming the educational system to accommodate both parties makes perfect sense.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Quote:
i do not understand people's desire to exile a group of people rather than help them. when are we going to be balanced globally? why does one group of people insist on having more than they need, even if it means denying the unfortunate from having just enough?
Yeah, I don't understand it either - I wish the Mexican government would start helping their group fo poor people instead of de facto exiling them to the US. Excellent point you brought up there, Ghost.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Quote:

Based on your comments throughout this thread, you seem to be operating on the premise that since they are all already here, regardless of our laws, that it is now our obligation and moral duty to take care of them. The fact is, we AREN'T obligated to foreign nationals who invade our country.

Any sensible person would prefer to keep unwanted people from entering their country to begin with. Just because they are already here (illegally) doesn't mean we are obligated to keep them. You need to let that idea sink into your head a bit.

There are reasons that the LEGAL immigration process takes more time than you seem to think is justified - one of the main reasons being that we want to REGULATE who can come and stay here. If you don't like the laws we have on the books, then direct your voice at the lawmakers and make your voice heard with them.

If you honestly think that those citizens who are unabashedly opposed to conceding to the demands of illegals are going to ever get the 'warm and fuzzies' about illegals through the rhetoric you espouse here then you are really wasting everyone's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or