U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times

Advertisements

So how about robbing elementary schools to get the kids' SS#s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,124,135 times
Pros (giving a license) and Cons (not giving a license):

Pros:
A recent picture of the person.
In many cases/states, a fingerprint is required.

Cons:
Nothing to identify the person.

Yeah in principle I can agree it isnt “fair” to give an illegal immigrant a valid drivers license. However when you look at the estimates of illegals and all the reported crimes to be alleged by illegals, what is one thing you don’t have, a recent photo of the person or any fingerprints in a database to access if a crime occurred. I think it’s pragmatic to give them licenses to be able to identify them and I’m sure law enforcement would love to have them identified. It’s myopic to put your head in the sand and say they shouldnt be here and we shouldnt give them anything to identify them. Just because they are persona non grata, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look for ways to be able to identify them.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:28 PM

447 posts, read 706,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Expired ID...the principle of it is a money making maneuver, to keep the DMV lines full.

Your birthday is still the same no matter if your ID is expired or not.

What clerks should be trained in, is identifying fake ID's.
what a concept...do you think we arent trained in identifying fake id's?
an expired id is just as useless as a fake one...still just as punishable by law if it is discovered a clerk sold to someone in possession of either.
and texas isnt the only state following suit...new mexico does this practice, also.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Yeah in principle I can agree it isnt ďfairĒ to give an illegal immigrant a valid drivers license. However when you look at the estimates of illegals and all the reported crimes to be alleged by illegals, what is one thing you donít have, a recent photo of the person or any fingerprints in a database to access if a crime occurred. I think itís pragmatic to give them licenses to be able to identify them and Iím sure law enforcement would love to have them identified. Itís myopic to put your head in the sand and say they shouldnt be here and we shouldnt give them anything to identify them. Just because they are persona non grata, doesnít mean we shouldnít look for ways to be able to identify them.

if they are identified as an illegal, the law should be upheld.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
what a concept...do you think we arent trained in identifying fake id's?
an expired id is just as useless as a fake one...still just as punishable by law if it is discovered a clerk sold to someone in possession of either.
and texas isnt the only state following suit...new mexico does this practice, also.
now honestly, and im asking you personally, do you think that the law regarding liquor sales to people with expired id's makes sense? you wouldnt change it if you were the lawmaker? even though it shows proof of age?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM

i think alot of laws are ridiculous, but it doesnt mean i would break them...and i thinki've answered the questiona s to whether giving an illegal a drivers license is a good idea...or didnt i make myself clear?
the moment an illegal walks into any dmv, and requests a license or id, making the claim he or she is here in this country illegally, ins, and ice should step in, and that illegal should be deported....
laws are created for reasons, and if a law is unjust it is the americans duty to change the law , but it is also the americans duty to uphold it until the law is changed..

Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Yeah in principle I can agree it isnt ďfairĒ to give an illegal immigrant a valid drivers license. However when you look at the estimates of illegals and all the reported crimes to be alleged by illegals, what is one thing you donít have, a recent photo of the person or any fingerprints in a database to access if a crime occurred. I think itís pragmatic to give them licenses to be able to identify them and Iím sure law enforcement would love to have them identified. Itís myopic to put your head in the sand and say they shouldnt be here and we shouldnt give them anything to identify them. Just because they are persona non grata, doesnít mean we shouldnít look for ways to be able to identify them.
why not just an id card? You can still identify them and lock them up for bein thugs but they still cant drive (legally)

Old 11-10-2007, 05:08 PM

96 posts, read 250,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree 100%, Crittersitter!

We need to eliminate all the incentives that encourage anyone to enter this country ILLEGALLY . . . NOT add more!

Once the incentives are eliminated, ALL of them, . . . many ILLEGALS will self-deport!
Hi,
Just my opion but GIVE THEM NOTHING Just a ticket out of the

country...Sorry for inserting this here but it seemed like the place to do it..

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,118,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
illegals are going to drive. do you want them licensed?

illegals are going to come to the united states. do you want them to be easily identified?

denying them licenses is going to do more harm than good.
Illegals are not going to buy insurance (Spitzer's idea of safety) They will find a way around getting the 3rd tier of licenses ( the one "no one will want") so they won't be identifiable. They will also find a way to motor voter.

I live in NY. They DO NOT need licenses.
This will also make them beholden to the political party which gave them this illegal benefit.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Illegals are not going to buy insurance (Spitzer's idea of safety) They will find a way around getting the 3rd tier of licenses ( the one "no one will want") so they won't be identifiable. They will also find a way to motor voter.

I live in NY. They DO NOT need licenses.
This will also make them beholden to the political party which gave them this illegal benefit.
Beholden to the political party= millions of voters. That's all the politicians are after is the hispanic votes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration