U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

Giving them licenses is a good way to count them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
Reputation: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Pros (giving a license) and Cons (not giving a license):

Pros:
A recent picture of the person.
In many cases/states, a fingerprint is required.

Cons:
Nothing to identify the person.

Yeah in principle I can agree it isnt ďfairĒ to give an illegal immigrant a valid drivers license. However when you look at the estimates of illegals and all the reported crimes to be alleged by illegals, what is one thing you donít have, a recent photo of the person or any fingerprints in a database to access if a crime occurred. I think itís pragmatic to give them licenses to be able to identify them and Iím sure law enforcement would love to have them identified. Itís myopic to put your head in the sand and say they shouldnt be here and we shouldnt give them anything to identify them. Just because they are persona non grata, doesnít mean we shouldnít look for ways to be able to identify them.
A plain ole ID card will do the same thing too!
I would bet that none of the illegal drivers have insurance on their cars either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
Reputation: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
now honestly, and im asking you personally, do you think that the law regarding liquor sales to people with expired id's makes sense? you wouldnt change it if you were the lawmaker? even though it shows proof of age?
Ghost then change it!
It is the law and that is how it is! It does not matter if you do not like it or not. No reasonable person is going to jeopardize their business or be fined for it! Why would anyone risk being fined or loosing their business lic for someone who has a fake ID, multiple IDs (which if I saw that I would not sell even if they were good), or who has a expired ID. Believe me it is not only illegals which possess these either.
Allot of criminals have fake and multiple IDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,223,441 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Ghost then change it!
It is the law and that is how it is! It does not matter if you do not like it or not. No reasonable person is going to jeopardize their business or be fined for it! Why would anyone risk being fined or loosing their business lic for someone who has a fake ID, multiple IDs (which if I saw that I would not sell even if they were good), or who has a expired ID. Believe me it is not only illegals which possess these either.
Allot of criminals have fake and multiple IDs.
I noticed the first two sentences of your response also work on the subject of why illegal aliens should not be here. Why? "It is the law and that is how it is! It does not matter if you do not like it or not."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Ghost then change it!
It is the law and that is how it is! It does not matter if you do not like it or not. No reasonable person is going to jeopardize their business or be fined for it! Why would anyone risk being fined or loosing their business lic for someone who has a fake ID, multiple IDs (which if I saw that I would not sell even if they were good), or who has a expired ID. Believe me it is not only illegals which possess these either.
Allot of criminals have fake and multiple IDs.
its called civil disobedience. peaceful protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 2,490,525 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Did your birth-date change? Did they even make you take a test? What is the purpose?
Thje state updates the DL it's self every few years maybe that's why.I really don't care what the purpose is....It's also against Texas law to carry your current and expired DL on you at the same time....It's also against the state law to carry another states DL expired or current and Texas DL...You can not have both in the State of Texas, but I'll guess you'll think that's wrong to.

IT'S EXPIRED, ,GET ANOTHER ONE, NO BID DEAL...CAN'T DRIVE THAT'S OK, TEXAS HAS AN ID CARD THAT LOOKS JUST LIKE A DL, IT'S JUST MARKED ID ONLY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
Reputation: 2988
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Ghost then change it!
It is the law and that is how it is! It does not matter if you do not like it or not. No reasonable person is going to jeopardize their business or be fined for it! Why would anyone risk being fined or loosing their business lic for someone who has a fake ID, multiple IDs (which if I saw that I would not sell even if they were good), or who has a expired ID. Believe me it is not only illegals which possess these either.
Allot of criminals have fake and multiple IDs.

Ghost said:
its called civil disobedience. peaceful protest.


Ghost, Please explain to me how that is civil disobedience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
 
86 posts, read 130,446 times
Reputation: 52
Ghost is saying that business owners should protest because they can't sell alcohol to people with invalid ID's. Ghost also seems to think that a law that "doesn't make sense" is one that he shouldn't follow. Go ahead and try to enact what you say on these forums buddy, let's see how far you get.

You need a birth certificate to get a Driver's License. You need some other form of identification to get a DL (Social Security Card), and something the proves you are a US Citizen. If you are unable to provide those three things, you do not get a DL. Ghost, your mantra "Why punish the many for the crimes of the few?" comes into play here. You would be punishing all legal residents and born citizens by allowing Illegal Immigrants to have driver's licenses. If they are Illegal Immigrants, and they apply for a DL, they should be detained and deported immediately. They are here ILLEGALLY. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-12-2007 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: just make your point, the other posters will live their lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Ghost, Please explain to me how that is civil disobedience?
definition - refusal to obey governmental demands or commands especially as a nonviolent and usually collective means of forcing concessions from the government

meaning if you, as a store owner, accept expired IDs because they do indeed show proof of age, you are civilly disobeying government law because you feel that you have a justifiable argument against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
not for drug money. if they were robbing banks for food money, i would tend to be a bit more sympathetic. id be wondering why they have no food, and if the reason is beyond their own control, i would support measures to help provide them food through productive means, so banks wouldnt be robbed.
Wow. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top