U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,653,400 times
Reputation: 880

Advertisements

Recently in Charlotte NC a gang threatened police...

Charlotte Observer | 11/04/2007 | Police threatened by gang after shooting (http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/348049.html - broken link)

This is what can worsen without something being done about the illegals here...

And, I know the first question form the pro-amnesty group will be..."How do you know they're illegals?"...And, my answer to that is...If they are here legally, things are even worse than we thought!...

Historically, there have been other gang threats against the police...By other newly arrived ethnic gang members, and even deep rooted Americans (gang members).

But, that does not diminish the fact that the threat can be lessened with proper immigration controls, and enforcement of immigration laws...

And why are threats against the police more severe than threats against civilians?...Because the police are doing the job of protecting society as a whole...keeping law and order, preventing anarchy....

And, every group feels that the police are targeting them, or being unfair to them...Even me, a white guy...I had experiences where I was treated unfairly by police...And, no...I was not shot at by them...Probably because I never had a gun in my hand when I was confronted by them, and because when they told me to do something (like stand still), I followed their instructions...They were the police, they had their protocol, and common sense told me that in any time of confrontation, they were in charge...

This is a serious issue, not just in Charlotte, but in Houston and other areas where these gangs operate...Let's face it, this is one of the problems that come with lack of immigration law enforcement...And, even the Hispanic population (for their own safety) must recognize the severity of this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 711,895 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
And, I know the first question form the pro-amnesty group will be..."How do you know they're illegals?"...And, my answer to that is...If they are here legally, things are even worse than we thought!...
which doesnt answer the question at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,166,442 times
Reputation: 138
Parts of the United States have a lot of Gang problems such as L.A for example.. I think its mostly Latino on Latino warfare. I believe most of the people who are in those Latino gangs are in fact troubled youth citizens. Very unfortunate indeed. Its not really the Illegal Immigrants themselves joining these gangs, its their LEGAL sons and daughters (for the most part). They're giving their parents and Latinos in general a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,653,400 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
which doesnt answer the question at all...
I think it does...It says that if they are immigrants admitted under the present system, the screening process is completely flawed...

Who is supposed to be admitted into the country?...People looking to find a better way of life, people that are supposed to be contributing to their new society as a whole (no matter what their work skills are)...Certainly not someone that is a gang member...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:02 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 711,895 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I think it does...It says that if they are immigrants admitted under the present system, the screening process is completely flawed...

Who is supposed to be admitted into the country?...People looking to find a better way of life, people that are supposed to be contributing to their new society as a whole (no matter what their work skills are)...Certainly not someone that is a gang member...
so how do you screen for "gang member"? how do you screen for the potential to be a gang member?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,653,400 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Parts of the United States have a lot of Gang problems such as L.A for example.. I think its mostly Latino on Latino warfare. I believe most of the people who are in those Latino gangs are in fact troubled youth citizens. Very unfortunate indeed. Its not really the Illegal Immigrants themselves joining these gangs, its their LEGAL sons and daughters (for the most part). They're giving their parents and Latinos in general a bad name.
That's a tough one to determine...

There certainly is a large number that are carrying their gang membership into the country with them...And, this is not unique to the Latinos...In the old days it was the Irish gangs, the Mafia and more recently the Russians and Albanians...

The significance of the Latinos is the numbers...It's a far greater number than any other group...And, if the probability (%) of gang members is the same, that is also a far greater number...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,653,400 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
so how do you screen for "gang member"? how do you screen for the potential to be a gang member?
Number 1 - Actually do some screening, correctly and on equal par...Right now for Latinos it's just an open border, isn't it?...There are no controls, and haven't been for almost 20 years now...

Then screen for employment history, references, education, family, criminal records...You know, demand some cooperation from their own governments...Real cooperation...

I have business associates from Europe that have been going through nearly 8 years of pure hell to get in here legally...They are businesspeople, with real references (even with the banks here, who they do legitimate business with..), they have spent at least $10,000 for lawyers...They are people that can come here with their own (legally earned) money and create economic activity..But, they are following the rules...And getting screwed...

They are certainly being screened, aren't they...And, there is nothing wrong with their backgrounds...They are simply caught in the bureacratic system of INS...And that system is.. "See!!..We're screening people..Nobody get's in here so easily..Look at our numbers..."

..In other words, making scapegoats our of the people going by the rules....Rather than simply doing the job equally and efficiently...Which can be done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,669,573 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Parts of the United States have a lot of Gang problems such as L.A for example.. I think its mostly Latino on Latino warfare. I believe most of the people who are in those Latino gangs are in fact troubled youth citizens. Very unfortunate indeed. Its not really the Illegal Immigrants themselves joining these gangs, its their LEGAL sons and daughters (for the most part). They're giving their parents and Latinos in general a bad name.
And you are correct:

Typically; the first generation of Irish, Italians, generic Latinos and even the Blacks who had first hand knowledge of the Jim Crow laws in the old South-----all of the above try to 'fly under the radar' and avoid any trouble even if it means not defending themselves. Their 'present' condition was still light years better than back 'home'.

The first US born generation are the ones who tend to get involved in gangs because they did not have 'first hand' experience of what their parents endured------yet, culturally speaking, are not truly 'American' either.

Second and subsequent generations tend to be full on American due in large part because their former gangbanger parents do NOT want their children being 'Cholo's', etc.------and, those kids tend to intermarry with the 'dominant' culture whereupon they disappear as a specific race/ethnicity.

Even 60 years ago it was something of a scandal for Americans of Italian and Irish heritage to date let alone marry in New York City-------today: they are all Noo Yawlkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 711,895 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Number 1 - Actually do some screening, correctly and on equal par...Right now for Latinos it's just an open border, isn't it?...There are no controls, and haven't been for almost 20 years now...

Then screen for employment history, references, education, family, criminal records...You know, demand some cooperation from their own governments...Real cooperation...

I have business associates from Europe that have been going through nearly 8 years of pure hell to get in here legally...They are businesspeople, with real references (even with the banks here, who they do legitimate business with..), they have spent at least $10,000 for lawyers...They are people that can come here with their own (legally earned) money and create economic activity..But, they are following the rules...And getting screwed...

They are certainly being screened, aren't they...And, there is nothing wrong with their backgrounds...They are simply caught in the bureacratic system of INS...And that system is.. "See!!..We're screening people..Nobody get's in here so easily..Look at our numbers..."

..In other words, making scapegoats our of the people going by the rules....Rather than simply doing the job equally and efficiently...Which can be done...
all of the aforementioned screening processes do nothing to determine if someone is a gang member or a potential gang member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
 
Location: CA Coast
1,900 posts, read 1,715,512 times
Reputation: 350
You might want to research MS-13, not your typical gang, actually a product of the Reagan intervention in the El Salvador Civil War
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top