U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 AM

24,805 posts, read 30,057,441 times
Post News, AP IMPACT: Border fence may cut property.

GRANJENO, Texas Founded 240 years ago, this sleepy Texas town along the Rio Grande has outlasted the Spanish, then the Mexicans and then the short-lived independent Republic of Texas. But it may not survive the U.S. government's effort to secure the Mexican border with a steel fence.

AP IMPACT: Border fence may cut property | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 AM

1,863 posts, read 2,103,818 times
Better we have a "virtual" fence that zaps people automatically when they cross the line. Just a bit of an electric jolt to show that we mean business.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 AM

8,972 posts, read 10,343,357 times
I saw this article too, and I guess I'm just getting "cynical" in my old age....the VERY FIRST thing that popped into my mind was "I'll bet they're just trying to 'enrage' the local people, get this story into the news, and turn public sentiment even more against the fence than it already is"...sorry If I just don't trust the authorities on this. (We ALL know, of course, how scrupulously up-front and honest they've been, up until now)...

I can see "having to" put a 300-foot-wide freeway through someone's backyard---freeways are huge, their curves and embankments extensive, and sometimes you just have no choice but to "make room" for them....but a FENCE?...give me a break !...You'll have to tear down your house so we can put a FENCE through it?...a fence that's ALREADY thousands of feet from the actual border?...sorry, but I'm not buying it. Fences can make corners...they can, and do, "go around" obstacles, if the fence-builder wants them to.

This is just one more childish, foot-dragging attempt to NOT build the fence at all---infuriate the "locals", get the story into the news, and "presto"...the public will DEMAND that the fence NOT be built.....pretty slick, I'd say...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,475,599 times
I really don't care where they build it, just get the darn thing up.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,947,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I saw this article too, and I guess I'm just getting "cynical" in my old age....the VERY FIRST thing that popped into my mind was "I'll bet they're just trying to 'enrage' the local people, get this story into the news, and turn public sentiment even more against the fence than it already is"...sorry If I just don't trust the authorities on this. (We ALL know, of course, how scrupulously up-front and honest they've been, up until now)...

I can see "having to" put a 300-foot-wide freeway through someone's backyard---freeways are huge, their curves and embankments extensive, and sometimes you just have no choice but to "make room" for them....but a FENCE?...give me a break !...You'll have to tear down your house so we can put a FENCE through it?...a fence that's ALREADY thousands of feet from the actual border?...sorry, but I'm not buying it. Fences can make corners...they can, and do, "go around" obstacles, if the fence-builder wants them to.

This is just one more childish, foot-dragging attempt to NOT build the fence at all---infuriate the "locals", get the story into the news, and "presto"...the public will DEMAND that the fence NOT be built.....pretty slick, I'd say...

You may just have something there, I just wish they would stop bickering about the fence and build it... get it over with and done.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,475,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
You may just have something there, I just wish they would stop bickering about the fence and build it... get it over with and done.

I agree, just get the thing up. But I wish they would stop with the virtual fence nonsense. Virtual fences don't work. Virtual fences are nothing more than vast gateways.

I've seen too many border patrol agents say in interviews that the real purpose of the border fence is not to stop the terrorists, drug runners and illegals, but to slow down them down long enough to catch them. Virtual fences don't accomplish that.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:19 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,947,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I agree, just get the thing up. But I wish they would stop with the virtual fence nonsense. Virtual fences don't work. Virtual fences are nothing more than vast gateways.

I've seen too many border patrol agents say in interviews that the real purpose of the border fence is not to stop the terrorists, drug runners and illegals, but to slow down them down long enough to catch them. Virtual fences don't accomplish that.

I read an article a few months back about the border fence and it said much the samething as the Border Agents say, it's only an obstacle to slow the people down.

I have to agree on the virtual fence, I think one would be useless along the border. They may be ok for animals like cattle and dogs etc., I really don't know how effective they are at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration