U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm certainly entitled to my opinion and I think they need to clamp down on the green card marriage abuse and of course of government dependency of immigrants. I don't think any immigrant should be here that needs food stamps and Medicaid.

I also do not think that any illegal should be rewarded with quick easy legal status just because they managed to find someone to marry them so they could get around the laws. No illegal should be treated better than those coming here legally after doing things the right way.

So yes, I'm all for this 10 year stay in their own country. Then if the marriage works come back but I believe the sponsor needs to actually be obligated for the immigrant's financial support. Too often that isn't the case or they quit after a very short time and the immigrant ends up a government dependent.
The ten-year ban is the longest, although in some cases bans can be cumulative. You are dancing around the reality that any marriage to a U.S. citizen - whether it is an illegal alien or to a potential legal immigrant - provides that most-likely eventual (and probable) "legal status". Great citizens can come from those that are naturalized, and just not born here. A vast majority of these marriages are long-term and legitimate, I've often said that the immigration process for a spouse - even proactively legal, like mine was - proves that you love each other.

Your opening words and last sentence need to be combined. People can realize if you never offer any supporting data, your statements just come out that you would rather talk trash about certain groups. Opinions, as the sayings of everyone having them, can sometimes have an output of the same material as the analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:06 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The ten-year ban is the longest, although in some cases bans can be cumulative. You are dancing around the reality that any marriage to a U.S. citizen - whether it is an illegal alien or to a potential legal immigrant - provides that most-likely eventual (and probable) "legal status". Great citizens can come from those that are naturalized, and just not born here. A vast majority of these marriages are long-term and legitimate, I've often said that the immigration process for a spouse - even proactively legal, like mine was - proves that you love each other.

Your opening words and last sentence need to be combined. People can realize if you never offer any supporting data, your statements just come out that you would rather talk trash about certain groups. Opinions, as the sayings of everyone having them, can sometimes have an output of the same material as the analogy.
So where is your supporting data for your claim that all these marriages last forever?

There are plenty of articles out there about US spouses of illegals being unwilling to live in the other country --- which shows that many of these are sham marriages that for some reason can only make it if the illegal remains in the USA --- but I will have to say that the one in this case because the wife actually cares enough for the husband to live with him over there is likely a lasting marriage.

All's well that ends well -- this couple could even decide to remain in Mexico, it sounds like she's really enjoying life over there. At any rate, it's proof that the laws can be enforced and adjustments can be made. He can wait his turn like others do.

One other irony -- she's enjoying her nice big salary only because there is some kind of border. How ironic if some illegal took her job from her.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
So where is your supporting data for your claim that all these marriages last forever?...
Ever the hyperbolic, I'm talking about real-world marriages that are lifetime, with their ups and downs, usually having children. If you want to see a sizable sample, go to the "Immigrate 2 US" forum. I can reference it, but not provide a link (I've cleared that with the upper management of this place before).

EDIT: I don't see anything about NPR among Emily's recent posts there, but I'll inquire so we can give some congratulations...

Quote:
...There are plenty of articles out there about US spouses of illegals being unwilling to live in the other country --- which shows that many of these are sham marriages that for some reason can only make it if the illegal remains in the USA --- but I will have to say that the one in this case because the wife actually cares enough for the husband to live with him over there is likely a lasting marriage...
But I thought that you have countered on other threads that those illegal aliens married to a U.S. citizen spouse would be able to "easily" claim legal status in the United States! I've even heard of spouses settling in a third country. An I-601 is a "hardship" waiver, it is based on the concept that there may be factors (medical care, employment, school, service, family) that the U.S. citizen component is not able to live outside the United States.

Quote:
...All's well that ends well -- this couple could even decide to remain in Mexico, it sounds like she's really enjoying life over there. At any rate, it's proof that the laws can be enforced and adjustments can be made. He can wait his turn like others do.

One other irony -- she's enjoying her nice big salary only because there is some kind of border. How ironic if some illegal took her job from her.
You still haven't touched on the aspect that some are able to complete the process in the United States, or without a lengthy ban...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM

So, did anyone else listen to the program?...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM

23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Quote:
It's time to wake up that these people do exist...
So do our laws. Sick of people crying crocodile tears for these lawbreaking idiots.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 AM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So do our laws. Sick of people crying crocodile tears for these lawbreaking idiots.
Agreed! What is the point of saying that these people do exist? Duh! So do other lawbreakers exist also. Does that mean we shouldn't prosecute them for their crimes and reward them instead?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This entire thread is put in the premise that these couples are now following a lawful immigration path. No one is commenting that it is great a former illegal alien is serving out a ten-year ban in his home country before he possibly legally immigrates back to the United States? Isn't that what is constantly posted, that illegal aliens need to go home and apply to come back legally?

Here is an example of that policy in effect, is everyone oblivious to what they have said before?...

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
This entire thread is put in the premise that these couples are now following a lawful immigration path. No one is commenting that it is great a former illegal alien is serving out a ten-year ban in his home country before he possibly legally immigrates back to the United States? Isn't that what is constantly posted, that illegal aliens need to go home and apply to come back legally?

Here is an example of that policy in effect, is everyone oblivious to what they have said before?...
I think it's great that they finally decided to respect this country's laws and it's also great that she is enjoying Juarez so much. Most of us believe in legal immigration, not a free for all. I believe more in employer sponsored immigration as long as it's not just to bring down wages and put americans out of work. Someone in another forum suggested a point system where having a relative here would count for something but wouldn't be the sole factor, ability to assimilate, English ability and of course ability to live here without government handouts like food stamps, WIC, medicaid would also be considered.

This example proves illegals can be deported and can start over doing it the right way.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I think it's great that they finally decided to respect this country's laws and it's also great that she is enjoying Juarez so much. Most of us believe in legal immigration, not a free for all. I believe more in employer sponsored immigration as long as it's not just to bring down wages and put americans out of work. Someone in another forum suggested a point system where having a relative here would count for something but wouldn't be the sole factor, ability to assimilate, English ability and of course ability to live here without government handouts like food stamps, WIC, medicaid would also be considered.

This example proves illegals can be deported and can start over doing it the right way.
Emily's husband Ray wasn't deported (the radio segment covered this, where Emily talked about being so nervous driving from Phoenix to El Paso), as common with I-601s the spouse leaves the country, then confirms they are back in their home country to start the processing. You seem to understand that the ban is a punishment phase, where the spouse typically can reenter the United States later as a Legal Permanent Resident, part of a lawful immigration process. I'm commenting on the fact that I routinely hear that illegal aliens should leave the country to legally immigrate back, and I wonder why there is disparity with the concept when an example case is presented.

BTW, you were the only member that brought up a "point system" in the Legal Immigration section, and it only received a couple replies (one from myself)...

Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:

Yes, having a relative here should not be a sole factor nor even give one a priority, IMO. As for going back to their homelands and waiting to come here legally I do agree with that just as long as they aren't given priority over potential immigrants that never came here illegally in the first place. I especially agree that their relative who is a citizen of this country should be made to care for them their whole existence in this country without government handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or