U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, having a relative here should not be a sole factor nor even give one a priority, IMO. As for going back to their homelands and waiting to come here legally I do agree with that just as long as they aren't given priority over potential immigrants that never came here illegally in the first place. I especially agree that their relative who is a citizen of this country should be made to care for them their whole existence in this country without government handouts.
The I-601 process is almost exclusively used for the spouse of a U.S. citizen. Mexico has had a "pilot program" section run from the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez for years now, generally processing those petitions faster than any other country (a unique shortcut is that a U.S. citizen and former illegal alien not from Mexico can marry there, then file through CDJ as it were their "home country"). I'm sure that there are potential immigrants that haven't been born yet, that will be siblings to U.S. citizens (for those quota categories in the Philippines, it is 20+ years wait), are you suggesting the spouse of a U.S. citizen be delayed 50 or 60 years to immigrate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Emily has posted a thread about the NPR segment at "Immigrate 2 U.S." (which I can't link here), however you can listen to the audio here ("Launch Player", it starts at time 21:40, and ends at 44:50, it has some links to articles of her blog on the player page)...

EDIT: Added a better link to the start of the audio...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 07-30-2013 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,168,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm certainly entitled to my opinion and I think they need to clamp down on the green card marriage abuse and of course of government dependency of immigrants. I don't think any immigrant should be here that needs food stamps and Medicaid.

I also do not think that any illegal should be rewarded with quick easy legal status just because they managed to find someone to marry them so they could get around the laws. No illegal should be treated better than those coming here legally after doing things the right way.

So yes, I'm all for this 10 year stay in their own country. Then if the marriage works come back but I believe the sponsor needs to actually be obligated for the immigrant's financial support. Too often that isn't the case or they quit after a very short time and the immigrant ends up a government dependent.
Prove it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Emily has posted a thread about the NPR segment at "Immigrate 2 U.S." (which I can't link here), however you can listen to the audio here ("Launch Player", it starts at time 21:40, and ends at 44:50, it has some links to articles of her blog on the player page)...
I won't lie, I'm envious. I had my chance with 3 mexican women, but I wanted to "play the field" ugh.

Btw, her accent is fine, but her grammar and translation is bad.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Prove it.
USCIS - Affidavit of Support

The sponsor is only financially obligated to support his/her immigrant until the immigrant obtains citizenship -- then are off the hook and the immigrant can get on Medicaid, food stamps, and all kinds of welfare handouts.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 AM

No i dont mean that, i mean prove that hundreds or even thousands of immigrants do just that. Everyone needs help, especially in this economy. At this point, wouldnt they be a citizen?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
USCIS - Affidavit of Support

The sponsor is only financially obligated to support his/her immigrant until the immigrant obtains citizenship -- then are off the hook and the immigrant can get on Medicaid, food stamps, and all kinds of welfare handouts.
I agree that you haven't provided any support to your claim:

Quote:
...Then if the marriage works come back but I believe the sponsor needs to actually be obligated for the immigrant's financial support. Too often that isn't the case or they quit after a very short time and the immigrant ends up a government dependent.
You've said "a very short time", and alluded to the sponsor escaping the agreement before it is lawfully complete. Where is the data to show that? Stop moving your goalposts.

Back to the great topic you started, has anyone else looked over Emily's blog or listened to the NPR piece?...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Emily has had a tremendous response from people viewing her blog after the "This American Life" segment aired on NPR. More viewers since the radio broadcast than what she had in three years prior. Read the blog (it isn't all roses: The Real Housewife of Ciudad Juárez), look over the comments, this gal is fabulously strong.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Emily has had a tremendous response from people viewing her blog after the "This American Life" segment aired on NPR. More viewers since the radio broadcast than what she had in three years prior. Read the blog (it isn't all roses: The Real Housewife of Ciudad Juárez), look over the comments, this gal is fabulously strong.
I don't honestly see how she is "strong". I went and took off to mexico, no family, no friends, nothing. I lived there for 4 years and yeah I had my car break down 2 miles from work and I had to get a taxi to take me to the bridge and then walk across. I took cold showers for 3 months during winter, I had to figure out how to set that up, luckily I made friends quick. I was so stressed that my teeth started grinding, but I survived and I got over it...after that it was smooth sailing. She said that she gets a good salary, then she should get a good car.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I don't honestly see how she is "strong". I went and took off to mexico, no family, no friends, nothing. I lived there for 4 years and yeah I had my car break down 2 miles from work and I had to get a taxi to take me to the bridge and then walk across. I took cold showers for 3 months during winter, I had to figure out how to set that up, luckily I made friends quick. I was so stressed that my teeth started grinding, but I survived and I got over it...after that it was smooth sailing. She said that she gets a good salary, then she should get a good car.
Juarez is still where you (and your car) need to blend in. I've lived in some pretty primitive conditions before, including in Mexico. But most of that (other than Mexico) was in the military, and I knew a little of Emily's story before she moved to Mexico (which is why I offered to help her with the journey years ago, but she probably didn't want to involve anyone more than the two of them).

I have the opinion that she is strong, not just for living in Mexico, but the even worse place she was before (you'll need to read her blog to get the more complete story)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or