U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,014,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Anyhow Emily can't seem to keep her stories straight -- this is what she told NPR:

"I want everyone to know what it's like to live in Juárez. I would have never thought to come here before. But now that I'm on the border, I love these cities. The people of Juárez have opened their arms to me and are so warm. It's so different from anywhere else that I have lived," Cruz said.
And if you would read her blog, she is comparing living in Juarez to being in Phoenix - where she didn't know the neighbors around her. I heard similar stories about Phoenix after J.T. Ready killed four people, including a baby. Next door neighbors were unfamiliar with him, a couple even thought wrongly that he worked for the Border Patrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,170,281 times
Quote:
Apparently your pal Emily is one of those who didn't understand the process of sponsoring spouses legally. Now maybe they can get their act together and after 10 years do things the right way.

Spousal sponsorship is an extremely easy way for someone to come here legally --- they just never bothered with the legal process -- but now apparently they are. And she still gets a huge American kind of salary while she bad mouths Americans and pretends that she believes people in Mexico are friendlier and somehow better.
oh there is not belief..they ARE friendlier. I mean, do you think your post is oozing with friendliness, warmth and affection?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 AM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I had to laugh at the comment "immigration with a human face". First this isn't immigration but illegal immigration and second all law breakers are human but so what?
Yup. I'd rep you again if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's serving a ten-year ban, part of a legal immigration process...
Wrong. There wouldn't be a ban to serve if someone wasn't an illegal immigrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Somebody really doesn't understand the process of sponsoring of an immigrant spouse...
I do. I've done it before.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup. I'd rep you again if I could.

Wrong. There wouldn't be a ban to serve if someone wasn't an illegal immigrant.

I do. I've done it before.
Well -- the whole problem is that there are some who believe there should be no immigration laws of any kind for one particular ethnicity, they want nothing less than unlimited immigration. They don't believe there should be a legal process for these people to have followed.

These people in this blog chose the illegal route first. They thought they were above the laws that others do manage to follow. Now they're angry that they weren't moved to the front of the line, ahead of all others.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
Well -- the whole problem is that there are some who believe there should be no immigration laws of any kind for one particular ethnicity, they want nothing less than unlimited immigration. They don't believe there should be a legal process for these people to have followed.

These people in this blog chose the illegal route first. They thought they were above the laws that others do manage to follow. Now they're angry that they weren't moved to the front of the line, ahead of all others.
I've seen this kind of entitlement attitude and whining from people before; when I was sponsoring my then-husband for his green card, I was a member of a support forum for people navigating the bureaucracy of the USCIS. The whining there was not to be believed. Stuff like "Well I'm MARRIED to him, that should be ENOUGH" and "They should automatically give citizenship to foreign spouses" and "I know she's illegal but we're in LOVE" were common themes.

I could write a book about the hilarious crap I saw in there on a daily basis. The waiver sub-forum was my personal fave. "But his conviction for narcotics trafficking was over ten years ago!"

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

31,587 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've seen this kind of entitlement attitude and whining from people before; when I was sponsoring my then-husband for his green card, I was a member of a support forum for people navigating the bureaucracy of the USCIS. The whining there was not to be believed. Stuff like "Well I'm MARRIED to him, that should be ENOUGH" and "They should automatically give citizenship to foreign spouses" and "I know she's illegal but we're in LOVE" were common themes.

I could write a book about the hilarious crap I saw in there on a daily basis. The waiver sub-forum was my personal fave. "But his conviction for narcotics trafficking was over ten years ago!"
Yes, that appears to be the sentiment by many. They think because they are married to a foreigner that their spouse should get an automatic "in". Well I disagree and I think that family chain migration whether it is through marriage or some other relative connection needs to be curbed. We need immigrants with job skills and that won't be a burden to our society. Another thing to consider is all this family sponsorship from one nationality/ethnic group is destroying the concept of diversity also.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM

I do not know but I suspect this entitlement attitude is more common among those married to certain nationalities more than for others.

The open borders crowd tends to believe in unlimited immigration and no immigration laws for certain nationalities but not for all. I rarely hear anyone suggest that all people in Africa who want a better life can move on in. And they don't seem to promote unrestricted immigration for all people living in China and India.

They actually seem to think there can be laws for all those other people, just not for their own.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 27 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,477,439 times
Quote:

I understand the need for laws, and immigration limits. But the "laws and limits" have not worked, millions are making their life here and like this couple integrating with Americans....creating families.

It's so easy for someone to sit back and judge, but I have actually lived through this process in the 80's with my illegal mother...luckily Reagan allowed amnesty. I would have been one of those kids that people ask "where are the parents?" when seeing us run around the neighborhood. Tearing families, like these, apart is analogous to US Citizen blood on your hands in my eyes.

Finally, "the line" means nothing if the laws that govern that line go unenforced, for decades. To retroactively enforce those laws through deportation of a family member will result in long-term family impacts on citizens as evident here.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-19-2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I understand the need for laws, and immigration limits. But the "laws and limits" have not worked, millions are making their life here and like this couple integrating with Americans....creating families.

It's so easy for someone to sit back and judge, but I have actually lived through this process in the 80's with my illegal mother...luckily Reagan allowed amnesty.

Finally, "the line" means nothing if the laws that govern that line go unenforced, for decades. To retroactively enforce those laws through deportation of a family member will result in long-term family impacts on citizens as evident here.
So if my father robbed banks, that would justify bank robbery? I don't think it matters what your mother did, her actions don't justify anything.

All you're suggesting is another repeat of past mistakes --- the problem is lack of enforcement and this amnesty doesn't begin to address that.

Mexico has come a long ways since that last amnesty -- it's got low unemployment, it's obesity rates have surpass ours. It's time for some enforcement.

As far as families living apart -- isn't that what happens to our good military families? And many Americans live 2000 miles from their families because of job transfers or lack of jobs in some region. It doesn't bother me one iota that illegals and their families can't all live in the same house.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Also rewarding all those who come here illegally with easy US citizenship doesn't deter anyone, more will see that breaking our laws is fine --- we won't enforce them and they'll be given preference over those who will respect our laws.

Just like those 11-30 million illegals learned from Reagan's amnesty --- the government never intended to enforce the laws, it lied when it said it would. So millions more came and now demand their grand prize.

Leave them illegal -- that's better than making them all eligible for food stamps and Medicaid and social security or disability. Deport them as they make their presence known --- DWI, shoplifting, drug trafficking, domestic violence, driving without insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or