U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times

Advertisements

Malamute - You like many, take a very myopic view on illegal immigration and its impact on families.

One of the biggest reasons we have bad public schools is due to the dismantling of families, the effects are long-term. Without a change in Amendment 14, you are propagating that problem for generations to come.

I get it, you don't care. No need talking to a brick wall, so this is the last I'll post on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's so easy for someone to sit back and judge, but I have actually lived through this process in the 80's with my illegal mother...luckily Reagan allowed amnesty. I would have been one of those kids that people ask "where are the parents?" when seeing us run around the neighborhood. Tearing families, like these, apart is analogous to US Citizen blood on your hands in my eyes.
So are you saying your parents would have simply abandoned you if they had returned home? That doesn't sound like parents to really care much about really.

The only thing different would be that your parents would have gone home where they were from. You would most likely have gone home with them --- unless they really didn't care about you and didn't really want you except for what having a child brings them here. You'd have been raised in that other country and would probably have grown to love it. Contrary to popular opinion, there are schools and even universities in Mexico. There are Mexicans who actually do love their country -- even more than the easy money and food stamps in the USA. I met a guy in Chihuahua who came here but actually missed his home and family and returned home -- money wasn't more important than his country.

A few of my illegal neighbors have been deported -- and in each case it actually meant family reunification because they had girlfriends and children back in Mexico. Or they very often have kids in both countries but only want to be unified with the USA born ones for some reason.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So are you saying your parents would have simply abandoned you if they had returned home? That doesn't sound like parents to really care much about really.

The only thing different would be that your parents would have gone home where they were from. You would most likely have gone home with them --- unless they really didn't care about you and didn't really want you except for what having a child brings them here. You'd have been raised in that other country and would probably have grown to love it. Contrary to popular opinion, there are schools and even universities in Mexico. There are Mexicans who actually do love their country -- even more than the easy money and food stamps in the USA. I met a guy in Chihuahua who came here but actually missed his home and family and returned home -- money wasn't more important than his country.

A few of my illegal neighbors have been deported -- and in each case it actually meant family reunification because they had girlfriends and children back in Mexico. Or they very often have kids in both countries but only want to be unified with the USA born ones for some reason.

My dad was/is a US citizen, I probably would have stayed with him... I don't know. I did not like Mexico that much when I was a kid.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Malamute - You like many, take a very myopic view on illegal immigration and its impact on families.

One of the biggest reasons we have bad public schools is due to the dismantling of families, the effects are long-term. Without a change in Amendment 14, you are propagating that problem for generations to come.

I get it, you don't care. No need talking to a brick wall, so this is the last I'll post on this one.
People make bad decisions all the time and when they choose to break laws, they risk being separated from families by going to prison but abandoning their US born children when being deported is certainly their choice.

And why is it that the open borders crowd is never concerned when illegals abandon their Mexican children when coming to the USA? Very very often illegals have families back home.

There is absolutely nothing that says the parents cannot take their children home with them when they go. Just like if I went to Mexico or Germany with my kids, I would bring them home with me. The breaking up of families is pure choice.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
My dad was/is a US citizen, I probably would have stayed with him... I don't know. I did not like Mexico that much when I was a kid.
Then your father could have sponsored his wife on a fiance visa -- like so many others do. Your parents chose to ignore the laws it seems -- but yeah they lucked out that all that was rewarded so very nicely before.

Again -- if my dad robbed banks or my mom shoplifted, that justifies nothing at all. Yes it might make me a little more sympathetic to bank robbers and shoplifters -- but it doesn't and shouldn't change the laws.

My grandfather did break traffic laws -- he drove with a heavy foot and sometimes ignored stop signs. So what? That doesn't mean they must end all traffic laws because my grandfather broke them.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Then your father could have sponsored his wife on a fiance visa -- like so many others do. Your parents chose to ignore the laws it seems -- but yeah they lucked out that all that was rewarded so very nicely before.

Again -- if my dad robbed banks or my mom shoplifted, that justifies nothing at all. Yes it might make me a little more sympathetic to bank robbers and shoplifters -- but it doesn't and shouldn't change the laws.

My grandfather did break traffic laws -- he drove with a heavy foot and sometimes ignored stop signs. So what? That doesn't mean they must end all traffic laws because my grandfather broke them.
Again more judgement of my parents. You have no idea of our situation, I don't think you can comprehend it.

Traffic laws are broken everyday and given nothing but a warning.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Again more judgement of my parents. You have no idea of our situation, I don't think you can comprehend it.

Traffic laws are broken everyday and given nothing but a warning.
I'm just saying they made a choice to break the laws of this country -- but that's all in the past and they were given their reward of legal status and citizenship. That doesn't mean we should keep on rewarding this kind of thing.

There are already legal ways to bring in a foreign spouse, the fact that your parents chose not to use them, doesn't make anything right and that shouldn't give a whole ethnic group more rights than others when it comes to breaking the laws.

Do you think everyone from all African nations, all Asian nations should have this same right to come here illegally and then demand legal status and be given it? How many of the over 2 billion impoverished of the world wouldn't like to come here for the good easy life also?

This amnesty doesn't go after the employers who are bringing in the illegals so they can pay them crap wages and it doesn't do anything about the anchor baby problem.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Then your father could have sponsored his wife on a fiance visa -- like so many others do. Your parents chose to ignore the laws it seems -- but yeah they lucked out that all that was rewarded so very nicely before...
Not exactly - once married, any application for a "fiance(e) visa" (I-129F) is invalidated. You can't even get the current regulations correct, so don't attempt trying to revise history in your blame game. As with Emily, the impact on someone's personal life changes their perspective, and they will vote later to try and improve it for others.

I didn't commit to an opinion on either side of the Elvira Arellano case, but knew it will make her son Saul into a lawyer as an adult...

Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM

31,487 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
I understand the need for laws, and immigration limits. But the "laws and limits" have not worked, millions are making their life here and like this couple integrating with Americans....creating families.

It's so easy for someone to sit back and judge, but I have actually lived through this process in the 80's with my illegal mother...luckily Reagan allowed amnesty. I would have been one of those kids that people ask "where are the parents?" when seeing us run around the neighborhood. Tearing families, like these, apart is analogous to US Citizen blood on your hands in my eyes.

Finally, "the line" means nothing if the laws that govern that line go unenforced, for decades. To retroactively enforce those laws through deportation of a family member will result in long-term family impacts on citizens as evident here.
I see, so because there are more immigrants that want to migrate here than we can accommodate the problem is with our laws itself? We should just let them all in anyway otherwise they will defy our laws and come anyway and to hell with what it does to our country and its citizens? Our laws should fit their needs rather than the best interests or needs of our own citizens?

Illegals have no right to be here and creating families and they know it but you blame our country, our laws and its citizens but not them? They come here knowing full well that they could be deported and separated from their families just like American lawbreakers know if they go to prison for breaking our laws they will be separated from their families. Shall we not imprison any American lawbreakers cause afterall they will be separated from their families? Illegals can leave this country with their entire families intact. No one would stop them. So just what is the problem? It sure isn't our problem anyway.

It isn't our fault that our government didn't enforce our immigration laws and secure our borders like what was promised with the 1986 amnesty and I'll be damned if "we" the people will pay for their negligence. They need to make it up to us citizens for not doing so by enforcing our immigration laws now rather than promising another amnesty to these people which would be just repeating the mistake of 1986. Only this time around we have at least quadruple the number of illegals here with millions of Americans unemployed, our economy in the sewer and our taxes stretched thin from providing welfare to foreigners here illegally through their anchor babies, education and healthcare costs, etc. and added crime costs.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Not exactly - once married, any application for a "fiance(e) visa" (I-129F) is invalidated. You can't even get the current regulations correct, so don't attempt trying to revise history in your blame game. As with Emily, the impact on someone's personal life changes their perspective, and they will vote later to try and improve it for others.

I didn't commit to an opinion on either side of the Elvira Arellano case, but knew it will make her son Saul into a lawyer as an adult...
So? There is a legal way to bring in foreign spouses and these people choose not to follow those laws.

Obviously there is much fraud in the system that lets illegals simply look around for some spouse after they've been living it up here illegally and don't want to return home. That's got to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or