Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Juarez is still where you (and your car) need to blend in. I've lived in some pretty primitive conditions before, including in Mexico. But most of that (other than Mexico) was in the military, and I knew a little of Emily's story before she moved to Mexico (which is why I offered to help her with the journey years ago, but she probably didn't want to involve anyone more than the two of them).

I have the opinion that she is strong, not just for living in Mexico, but the even worse place she was before (you'll need to read her blog to get the more complete story)...
I'll do that, but from what I hear, not even the frontera blanca is safe anymore..if you know where that is....

but you have to admit, at least she has her husband...Ill read the blog, but i've already read some entries(and seen some things that I wouldnt' do) and so far I haven't seen anything that can't be done by anybody or that is outside the scope of a normal life when you move to a new country...or maybe...I don't think much of it because I have done it..who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I also don't think she's strong. Lots of people have and do live in Mexico, I have and it's nothing like the open borders crowd claims. You won't see starving people, there are schools even universities. Their unemployment rate is much lower than ours, they don't have a fast growing food stamp and welfare class.

And living in Juarez would be very easy as she can easily work in the U.S and get very high wages, while living in Juarez with its very low cost of living, very very low property taxes. Tons of people do just that, another plus is the cost of cheap servants is even lower than here.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
My husband and I are waiting for our I-601 waiver to be approved or rejected. If worst comes to worst, I'm willing to move to Mexico with him. True, the standard of living is adequate, but I'm still really hoping it doesn't come to that. I'm not opposed to living abroad and have done so before, but 10 years is pushing it.
I would not live in the border cities, no matter what advantages people tout. Juarez has one of the highest murder rate per capita in the world, even though they are improving in that area. Yes, there are plenty of nice people there and most of the violence is probably perpetrated by and on gang bangers, but I live on the border of Memphis TN where this is also true, and random people become victims of idiotic thugs all the time. No thank you. So, an American woman living in one of the world's most violent cities? I think that would qualify as strong...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
My husband and I are waiting for our I-601 waiver to be approved or rejected. If worst comes to worst, I'm willing to move to Mexico with him. True, the standard of living is adequate, but I'm still really hoping it doesn't come to that. I'm not opposed to living abroad and have done so before, but 10 years is pushing it.
I would not live in the border cities, no matter what advantages people tout. Juarez has one of the highest murder rate per capita in the world, even though they are improving in that area. Yes, there are plenty of nice people there and most of the violence is probably perpetrated by and on gang bangers, but I live on the border of Memphis TN where this is also true, and random people become victims of idiotic thugs all the time. No thank you. So, an American woman living in one of the world's most violent cities? I think that would qualify as strong...
In her latest blog entry, she doesn't identify herself as feeling strong. It's amazing to read the comments people have left, and how she responds well to every person. Immigration with a human face, understanding that Emily is three years along in a ten-year ban, and it still could be decided that her husband is ineligible after all that.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
In her latest blog entry, she doesn't identify herself as feeling strong. It's amazing to read the comments people have left, and how she responds well to every person. Immigration with a human face, understanding that Emily is three years along in a ten-year ban, and it still could be decided that her husband is ineligible after all that.
I have nothing kind to say about her situation, which is why I haven't left a comment on her blog. No point.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have nothing kind to say about her situation, which is why I haven't left a comment on her blog. No point.
I had to laugh at the comment "immigration with a human face". First this isn't immigration but illegal immigration and second all law breakers are human but so what?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I had to laugh at the comment "immigration with a human face". First this isn't immigration but illegal immigration and second all law breakers are human but so what?
It's serving a ten-year ban, part of a legal immigration process...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Fascinating blog+++

However, she doesn't sound very happy with the US process to me.

It's a shame that this couple couldn't continue their life in the US. 10 years for something so stupid.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-16-2013 at 11:12 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
It's serving a ten-year ban, part of a legal immigration process...
Yes and shows that it can be done legally.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Fascinating blog+++

However, she doesn't sound very happy with the US process to me.

It's a shame that this couple couldn't continue their life in the US. 10 years for something so stupid.
He was here illegally --- for some reason she didn't choose to sponsor him legally earlier like when she married him. No illegal should just get some free pass just because they're here illegally and think the laws don't apply to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration