U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,932,169 times

Advertisements

A nice story of an illegal and his American wife who self-deported. Worked out just fine. This actually looks like a real marriage where love can exist in the other country, and isn't just about money and easy legal status.

'The Real Housewife of Juárez:' Border blogger to share story on NPR's "This American Life" - El Paso Times

"I want everyone to know what it's like to live in Juárez. I would have never thought to come here before. But now that I'm on the border, I love these cities. The people of Juárez have opened their arms to me and are so warm. It's so different from anywhere else that I have lived," Cruz said.

She added: "on the other hand, it's not just about Juárez; there are other people who are in my situation with a mixed status. And I want them to know it doesn't have to be the end-all. It doesn't have to ruin your life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,027,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
..."I want everyone to know what it's like to live in Juárez. I would have never thought to come here before. But now that I'm on the border, I love these cities. The people of Juárez have opened their arms to me and are so warm. It's so different from anywhere else that I have lived," Cruz said...
Some members may not realize it, but they have heard of Emily before. I recounted where she had been stopped by multiple Maricopa Country Deputies in a car when she had done nothing wrong. She believed it was because of her husband's surname on the vehicle registration, and the officers were confused when they found a white girl driving alone.

Years ago I offered to convoy with them in Mexico if needed, for them to cross back over and go to her husband's home town (it isn't Juarez, but a smaller town we pass by to get to my wife's home town). Emily wasn't quite ready to move at that time, and declined my invitation. She was feeling the pressure in Phoenix, no wonder she felt it was necessary for them to move out of "Sheruff Joe" territory.

I've also referred to Stephanie here, an American expat living in Juarez with her husband, awaiting the end of their ten-year ban to move the family back to the United States...

Here's the question for members, Thank You for providing the human side: These families and couples ARE going to move back when their ban is complete. They've demonstrated their love for as long as ten years, isn't it time to start recognizing their marriages as valid without tacking on your "green card" label?

Is their husbands' eventual legal residency and naturalization going to be recognized too? Some couples are lucky enough not to have bans or process on an I-601 outside the United States. It is your convoluted logic that these relationships wouldn't be valid because they have not lived together outside the United States.

It's time to wake up that these people do exist...

Old 07-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Some members may not realize it, but they have heard of Emily before. I recounted where she had been stopped by multiple Maricopa Country Deputies in a car when she had done nothing wrong. She believed it was because of her husband's surname on the vehicle registration, and the officers were confused when they found a white girl driving alone.

Years ago I offered to convoy with them in Mexico if needed, for them to cross back over and go to her husband's home town (it isn't Juarez, but a smaller town we pass by to get to my wife's home town). Emily wasn't quite ready to move at that time, and declined my invitation. She was feeling the pressure in Phoenix, no wonder she felt it was necessary for them to move out of "Sheruff Joe" territory.

I've also referred to Stephanie here, an American expat living in Juarez with her husband, awaiting the end of their ten-year ban to move the family back to the United States...

Here's the question for members, Thank You for providing the human side: These families and couples ARE going to move back when their ban is complete. They've demonstrated their love for as long as ten years, isn't it time to start recognizing their marriages as valid without tacking on your "green card" label?

Is their husbands' eventual legal residency and naturalization going to be recognized too? Some couples are lucky enough not to have bans or process on an I-601 outside the United States. It is your convoluted logic that these relationships wouldn't be valid because they have not lived together outside the United States.

It's time to wake up that these people do exist...
As long as you wake up to the fact that it is possible to abide by the laws -- and by self-deporting, Emily's husband did finally do just that and she is proof that the American spouse can in fact live in the other's country until they're in a position to come here legally.

See -- I posted about the same person you did -- but mine is a positive one and a happy ending. It wasn't tragic after all.

"Green card" label for marriage is certainly valid. It's like you've claimed in other posts the most common way for someone to get legal status here --- far more common than finding an employer to sponsor the immigrant.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
As long as you wake up to the fact that it is possible to abide by the laws -- and by self-deporting, Emily's husband did finally do just that and she is proof that the American spouse can in fact live in the other's country until they're in a position to come here legally.

See -- I posted about the same person you did -- but mine is a positive one and a happy ending. It wasn't tragic after all...
I've always thought of Stephanie and Emily in a positive light, but not so jaded to validate their marriages just because they are serving out a ban with their husbands. Other stories have been tragic, with spouses of U.S. citizens killed while processing on their I-601s. You also haven't addressed that there are spouses able to process here, without any bans.

You're being highly unrealistic to think that love with a foreign national can only occur outside the United States...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 07-27-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 PM

[quote=IBMMuseum;30689067]
Quote:

I've always thought of Stephanie and Emily in a positive light, but not so jaded to validate their marriages just because they are serving out a ban with their husbands. Other stories have been tragic, with spouses of U.S. citizens killed while processing on their I-601s. You also haven't addressed that there are spouses able to process here, without any bans.

You're being highly unrealistic to think that love with a foreign national can only occur outside the United States...
Sure, some can process here, some people do things the right way from the very start, they sponsor their spouse the legal way right from the start.

It actually sounds as though Emily is beginning to prefer Mexico over the USA -- it sounds as though everything is better over there -- all that free health care, the food, and the much friendlier people -- why would she and Gordito ever want to come back here? Oh yeah, the easy money -- but that would be it.

I've never had any problem with deportation of illegals for this reason. I know that life in Mexico is not bad at all, I have friends who live in Juarez, they want to live there, and like they say, as long as you stay away from the organized criminal types, they're not going to kill you. Americans that have been killed were very likely involved in the drug or stolen auto trade in some way, the cartel doesn't just kill Americans for the bad publicity it brings them. And the excuse that there are street thugs over there who will harm random people is just more reason to have some border security and limit who comes waltzing on over.

This blog is just proof that it's not the end of the world when someone moves back to their own country.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,646,402 times
love can conquer alot. juarez is not my favorite place but love can do most anything. even make me a better man.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Sure, some can process here, some people do things the right way from the very start, they sponsor their spouse the legal way right from the start.

It actually sounds as though Emily is beginning to prefer Mexico over the USA -- it sounds as though everything is better over there -- all that free health care, the food, and the much friendlier people -- why would she and Gordito ever want to come back here? Oh yeah, the easy money -- but that would be it.

I've never had any problem with deportation of illegals for this reason. I know that life in Mexico is not bad at all, I have friends who live in Juarez, they want to live there, and like they say, as long as you stay away from the organized criminal types, they're not going to kill you. Americans that have been killed were very likely involved in the drug or stolen auto trade in some way, the cartel doesn't just kill Americans for the bad publicity it brings them. And the excuse that there are street thugs over there who will harm random people is just more reason to have some border security and limit who comes waltzing on over.

This blog is just proof that it's not the end of the world when someone moves back to their own country.
It's great that despite you saying such nutty things that you are enough foward-looking with at least one last sentence to realize about when Emily, a U.S. citizen, comes back to her own country with a "legalized" husband, and probably a child or two...

Now you just need to realize that time away in a foreign country isn't required to validate their marriage...

Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It's great that despite you saying such nutty things that you are enough foward-looking with at least one last sentence to realize about when Emily, a U.S. citizen, comes back to her own country with a "legalized" husband, and probably a child or two...

Now you just need to realize that time away in a foreign country isn't required to validate their marriage...
If he was (and he was) here illegally it does. There is no good reason to reward anyone who is here illegally legal status even if they run out and find themselves a spouse. They should still have to follow the legal process.

And it's fine with me if she brings him back one day as long as she takes full financial responsibility for him including providing him a health insurance plan -- because unlike Mexico, health care here is not free, and the financial obligation of the sponsor for the immigrant should be permanent.

And I don't have any problem with Emily and her guy, but look at all those boo hoo stories where they insisted that the illegal had to stay -- because the love really wasn't real and the American spouse preferred easy US money and food stamps over his or her spouse?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
If he was (and he was) here illegally it does. There is no good reason to reward anyone who is here illegally legal status even if they run out and find themselves a spouse. They should still have to follow the legal process...
Hint: Even the others that are able to go through the system within the United States are following the same "legal process" as provided by the I-601. You're not picking up on that nuance.

Quote:
...And it's fine with me if she brings him back one day as long as she takes full financial responsibility for him including providing him a health insurance plan -- because unlike Mexico, health care here is not free, and the financial obligation of the sponsor for the immigrant should be permanent.

And I don't have any problem with Emily and her guy, but look at all those boo hoo stories where they insisted that the illegal had to stay -- because the love really wasn't real and the American spouse preferred easy US money and food stamps over his or her spouse?
Once again trying to qualify your statements that are not a requirement of the sponsorship support. Former illegal aliens are living in the United States, many have even naturalized. They really don't care whether they are accepted by you, nor how your classify their valid relationships.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Hint: Even the others that are able to go through the system within the United States are following the same "legal process" as provided by the I-601. You're not picking up on that nuance.

Once again trying to qualify your statements that are not a requirement of the sponsorship support. Former illegal aliens are living in the United States, many have even naturalized. They really don't care whether they are accepted by you, nor how your classify their valid relationships.
I'm certainly entitled to my opinion and I think they need to clamp down on the green card marriage abuse and of course of government dependency of immigrants. I don't think any immigrant should be here that needs food stamps and Medicaid.

I also do not think that any illegal should be rewarded with quick easy legal status just because they managed to find someone to marry them so they could get around the laws. No illegal should be treated better than those coming here legally after doing things the right way.

So yes, I'm all for this 10 year stay in their own country. Then if the marriage works come back but I believe the sponsor needs to actually be obligated for the immigrant's financial support. Too often that isn't the case or they quit after a very short time and the immigrant ends up a government dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or