U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 AM

238 posts, read 1,019,169 times

Advertisements

All the Conservative Talk Show Hosts are always talking about Border Security. That is only part of the problem. The main problem will soon be people who came to America legally and overstayed their Visa. The economic elites are pushing for an easier Visa process which allows more tourists into America. What is great for the tourist industry is not so great for our illegal immigration problem.

I hear from people all the time who came to America on a Tourist Visa and never went home. They stay and become illegal aliens but seem to be ignored because they did not come across the Mexican Border. We need to limit the number of people who come to America from Third World Countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,692,687 times
It is already happening. I forget where I read it.
Well MOD CUT why shouldn't they try they read and hear maybe even see the other illegals doing their thing the dishonest types will overstay.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-11-2007 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: language

Old 11-11-2007, 09:56 AM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
All the Conservative Talk Show Hosts are always talking about Border Security. That is only part of the problem. The main problem will soon be people who came to America legally and overstayed their Visa. The economic elites are pushing for an easier Visa process which allows more tourists into America. What is great for the tourist industry is not so great for our illegal immigration problem.

I hear from people all the time who came to America on a Tourist Visa and never went home. They stay and become illegal aliens but seem to be ignored because they did not come across the Mexican Border. We need to limit the number of people who come to America from Third World Countries.
You are absolutely correct, GoodType!

"Border Security" definitely needs to include more than just a big fence or wall.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

People overstay work and tourist visas because they can get away with it. While accidental and emergency type overstays should be forgiven, deliberate overstays should be rewarded with jail time and heavy fines.

I think the major problem is the people who come here on a work visa and overstay it. These people initially are here legally, so they have valid social security numbers. Perhaps a way to address this would be to issue social security numbers that expire.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:05 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,223,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
People overstay work and tourist visas because they can get away with it. While accidental and emergency type overstays should be forgiven, deliberate overstays should be rewarded with jail time and heavy fines.

I think the major problem is the people who come here on a work visa and overstay it. These people initially are here legally, so they have valid social security numbers. Perhaps a way to address this would be to issue social security numbers that expire.
I'm not familiar with the process, do they get Social Security numbers when on a temporary work visa? If they do, then I would proposed this be terminated, and give them a tax ID number instead of Social Security.

I don't think they should have to pay into the system as a temporary worker.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,298,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm not familiar with the process, do they get Social Security numbers when on a temporary work visa? If they do, then I would proposed this be terminated, and give them a tax ID number instead of Social Security.

I think they do because a friend who was in college went on an student exchange for 1 year to alabama, he had an student visa and got a SS#

I'm not in Mexico right now, but I can ask him how he got it when I get back or even before if I see him on MSN if anyone's interested.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Yes, they do. In fact ANY illegal that's caught and released by ICE gets one as well. For example say ICE raids a meat plant in Iowa somewhere. After the raid they will release many of the illegals due to prisons or jails being overcrowded, (no room to keep them), or for humanitarian reasons, (anchor babies that need their moms).

Once released the illegals will be given a document stating their court date and that means until the court date arrives they are authorized to be in the US. Since they're now authorized to be in the US, they would then qualify for a SS card, and once they get it, it never expires.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 AM

273 posts, read 178,464 times
And Let's Not Forget The Harsh Punishment Illegal Invaders Of Our Country Recieve.......

Oh Yeah....a Warning...brrrrrr!!! Scarey!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,223,535 times
Hmmm, just speculating here but perhaps the Fed Gov't saw this as a way to get additional funds into the system without ultimately paying benefits.

I would think it would be fairly easy to catch these folks who overstay their visas, the computer tracking with expired visas can be matched to the monthly payroll deduction file (folks contributions to SS and medicare). It would tell you where they work, and who is employing them.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:24 AM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Yes, they do. In fact ANY illegal that's caught and released by ICE gets one as well. For example say ICE raids a meat plant in Iowa somewhere. After the raid they will release many of the illegals due to prisons or jails being overcrowded, (no room to keep them), or for humanitarian reasons, (anchor babies that need their moms).

Once released the illegals will be given a document stating their court date and that means until the court date arrives they are authorized to be in the US. Since they're now authorized to be in the US, they would then qualify for a SS card, and once they get it, it never expires.
and so so sadly, Hawkeye, these freeloading scammers know the loopholes and use them to their advantage.

Remember that famous "piece of work" Elvira from Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or