Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM

238 posts, read 1,141,154 times

Advertisements

People who are against illegal immigration tell us we do not have to deport illegal aliens, just cut off the jobs and most will leave America and go back to their own country. I find this an interesting idea but wonder if it would actually occur.

First of all, most of the illegal aliens have been here for over 5 years so have few ties culturally, economically or politically to their old country, so they would have a hard time adjusting to a new country. This would be even more shocking to the illegals who have children. Many of the kids were born in America and do not even speak their parents native language. This would likely make them stay here even if they had to commit to a world of crime.

Second, how would the illegals afford to travel back to their old native country when they are likely living paycheck to paycheck? The cost of moving back to China, India or South America would be high.

Finally, employers would cause an incredible stink if huge numbers of illegal aliens actually started to move back home. They make a stink now but not to the level they would if almost everyone one of their workers would return home.

Logically deportation is not really an option and a movement back to their home countries is not likely either. Better learn Spanish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 04:22 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,402,220 times
Honestly sometimes I think it would be interesting to see such an scenario, with Illegal immigrants finally leaving to their home countries in flocks, we'd finally know for sure if Americans feel relieved and all the positive things people say happen, or if they would want them back and start pondering about having a NAU like some others think.

Maybe that's what it's needed, at least if this happened Americans will finally feel that their pleas were heard and if doesn't works out the way they thought they would be more acceptant to work it out in some other way.

Love and Light!

Old 11-11-2007, 04:33 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,727,347 times
They supposedly came here with nothing and they can leave with the same.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
People who are against illegal immigration tell us we do not have to deport illegal aliens, just cut off the jobs and most will leave America and go back to their own country. I find this an interesting idea but wonder if it would actually occur.

First of all, most of the illegal aliens have been here for over 5 years so have few ties culturally, economically or politically to their old country, so they would have a hard time adjusting to a new country. This would be even more shocking to the illegals who have children. Many of the kids were born in America and do not even speak their parents native language. This would likely make them stay here even if they had to commit to a world of crime.

Second, how would the illegals afford to travel back to their old native country when they are likely living paycheck to paycheck? The cost of moving back to China, India or South America would be high.

Finally, employers would cause an incredible stink if huge numbers of illegal aliens actually started to move back home. They make a stink now but not to the level they would if almost everyone one of their workers would return home.

Logically deportation is not really an option and a movement back to their home countries is not likely either. Better learn Spanish!
Time will tell if your 'chicken little' scenario will be correct or not.

Here in Arizona; we should start seeing things in 7 weeks, when the Employer Sanctions Law kicks in Jan 1, 2008.

Besides: I will admit to resentment towards being forced to learn another language to kowtow to a greedy US government/big business community in my country if your hypothesis indeed come to pass.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,658,066 times
They would self-deport, as long as we seized and kept seizing their assets using RICO type laws. It would make sense for them to stay if they could in some way still profit from staying. But illegal labor's really an extreme type of organized crime with people profiteering off of it at many levels. So it would have to be addressed at many levels or it would be doomed for failure. Comprehensive enforcement is the key.

So in short, illegals will leave, if they know for a fact that they will lose everything they have through asset forfeiture laws over and over again. Plus to make sure it goes smoothly, asset seizer laws could be enforced in much the same way IRS operates. If one knows someone who's cheating on their taxes and they turn that person in to the IRS, then the IRS gives the informant 10% of the taxes seized. They've done this for years and it's very effective. We could do the same thing with illegal alien assets, plus we could cut the local county and city governments in on the action with a set percentage as well to encourage local support. The feds would get 30%, the county would get 30%, the city would get 30%, and the informant would get 10%.

It would probably work very well. But like any other well enforced plan it would need to be a multifaceted plan. Secure the border with an actual fence and the military. Internal labor enforcement including raids on employers, as well as fines and tent city jail sentences for illegals and profiteering employers.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,455,965 times
Quote:

IMO, even the ones who have been here or years still have significant ties to their home country. Since most come from Mexico, I will use that as an example. Billions of dollars flow into Mexico each year from the US. I consider that maintaining an economic tie to Mexico. Culturally, there are a significant number want to continue to live like they were in Mexico- they refuse the learn English, live in separate enclaves and so forth. Politically, the Mexican government actively encourages them to consider themselves Mexican first even though they live in the US. Why else do you suppose we have 43 Mexican consulates scattered throughout the US?
To me, they never really left Mexico to begin with so it should not be too difficult for them to return.
As for the kids not speaking Spanish, I suspect alot of them have at least some Spanish. And for those who don't, not knowing English did not stop their parents from coming to the US.
Commiting crimes in order to stay in the US is not a bright idea.

Quote:
Our gov. manages to find money for all sorts of foolishness, they can come up with the bucks for this. If they either can't or refuse to do so, start a nationwide drive collecting donations from private citizens to help the illegals return to their homes. I know a DHL pilot who will fly a plane for free.

Quote:
Some employers may welcome the return of a somewhat level playing field. If all businesses have to have legal employees, I don't think we will see the race to the bottom that the illegal labor supply has caused. I think good and decent people have lost their businesses because they continued to play by the rules while their competitors hired illegals off the books. Send the illegals home. Hire an American work force. If there are still jobs open after all Americans have been given one, bring in people from other countries on temporary work visas. Here's the kicker- no one from the top 3 countries that supply illegal aliens will be considered. It is time to give citizens from other parts of the world a chance at working in the US. plus they might actually appreciate the opportunity.

Quote:
No thanks.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Some employers may welcome the return of a somewhat level playing field. If all businesses have to have legal employees, I don't think we will see the race to the bottom that the illegal labor supply has caused. I think good and decent people have lost their businesses because they continued to play by the rules while their competitors hired illegals off the books. Send the illegals home. Hire an American work force. If there are still jobs open after all Americans have been given one, bring in people from other countries on temporary work visas.
I think you hit a key point here, the businesses are concerned that if they pay more for "legit" labor they will be at a competitive disadvantage against their competition. If assured a level playing field, I believe a significant amount of this concern would go away.

I believe there is a potential problem with dropoff in quality of work in some fields as lower class workers fill jobs, at a higher cost. However, I think this would be a short term problem, and would disapate as workers and training would adapt to the new reality.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM

238 posts, read 1,141,154 times
I believe there is a potential problem with dropoff in quality of work in some fields as lower class workers fill jobs, at a higher cost. However, I think this would be a short term problem, and would dissipate as workers and training would adapt to the new reality.
================================================
That is an interesting question/issue. I suspect that in many cases the illegal Hispanic workers are very hard workers and are a managers dream in comparison to low skilled White or Black working class workers. The African Americans who are working in the meat packing plants who have replaced the illegal aliens after raids are struggling and have more performance issues.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,762,725 times
Quote:

They have no ties with home country because they have been here for five years or longer? Then why haven't they bothered to learn English.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,762,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Honestly sometimes I think it would be interesting to see such an scenario, with Illegal immigrants finally leaving to their home countries in flocks, we'd finally know for sure if Americans feel relieved and all the positive things people say happen, or if they would want them back and start pondering about having a NAU like some others think.

Maybe that's what it's needed, at least if this happened Americans will finally feel that their pleas were heard and if doesn't works out the way they thought they would be more acceptant to work it out in some other way.

Love and Light!
Maybe I'll come out of retirement and do one of those jobs Americans wont do to help out the employers...I think the United States will survive without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration