U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM
 
31,909 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8510

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Like you I grow weary of the race card approach to debate. I also grow weary of the lame excuses:
1. All our ancestors were illegal immigrants.
2. Illegals only do the work Americans are to lazy to do.
3.Our laws are unfair
4. We make it too hard.
5. Our greedy employers are to blame.
I'll address the lame excuses and feel free to contribute.
1. There were no recognized immigration laws in the United States at the time of the mayflower.
2. No they work cheaper than Americans can work because illegals dont need to worry about paying taxes.
3. Fair or unfair every nation has the right to determine their own immigration laws.
4. Obviously not to hard because we allow more immigration than all other nations combined.
5. Only partly true. These greedy employers put a gun to no ones head forcing them to break our immigration laws. This excuse is as lame as blaming a home owner for a break in for not locking their
doors. Greedy employers need to be hammered with fines and penalties. I would agree to forcing them to pay restitution for any qualified applicant who was turned down in favor of an illegal. This can only be done if E-verify is made mandatory.
Excellent post. I have made the same remarks as you have but somehow I am a racist for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,564,750 times
Reputation: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have been here since 1986 and opposed any amnesty. But as I said illegal immigration has reached critical mass now. Since 1986 illegal immigration has at least quadrupled in numbers. As an analogy, one might not pay too much attention to a little scratch but when and if it becomes infected one will certainly take more notice of that.

Years ago we didn't have 23 million Americans out of work and illegals taking over the construction and landscaping jobs among others.

No, the name calling isn't one-sided. However, there is a difference between pointing out the truth and name calling. Pointing out the truth to the pro-illegals is considered racist these days. Is it un-American to not respect our immigration laws and put one's ethnic group above them? Well yes, I would say it is. Could it be racist in nature then? Well yes, I would say it is. However, is it racist to object to illegal immigration and amnesty? No, I would say it is not. Is it racist to point out that the largest number of illegals here are from Mexico? No, I would say it is not. It is just a fact. However, we anti-illegals do object to all illegal immigration and have stated as such but the pro-illegals refuse to acknowledge that. You be the judge who are actually just telling the truth and who is resorting to name calling.
What you say, what you interpret others as saying, what you don't say........blah blah blah.

Your opinion of what constitutes an American, what is anti-American, what constitutes name-calling, what doesn't constitute name-calling is nothing more than your opinion - just as who you think is telling the truth and who isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,564,750 times
Reputation: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excellent post. I have made the same remarks as you have but somehow I am a racist for them.
Those remarks are not considered racist. It's what you say that surrounds those remarks and how you say it.

You know the saying: it's not how what you say, but how you say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Those remarks are not considered racist. It's what you say that surrounds those remarks and how you say it.

You know the saying: it's not how what you say, but how you say it.
It can also be how you "read into" a comment as you have already done once in this thread looking for that ghost in the machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excellent post. I have made the same remarks as you have but somehow I am a racist for them.
I have also been called anti-brown skin, racist etc. In light of the fact that my Thai wife is as brown as any from south of the border, I laugh at the insult. These accusations revolve around if one points out that hispanics from SOB are the focus because they also happen to account for the vast majority of illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
It can also be how you "read into" a comment as you have already done once in this thread looking for that ghost in the machine.
With the irony that you are writing cryptic accusations into the thread, and considering that behavior "reasonable" to the topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
...If you have an inability to comprehend exactly what was said by Oldglory you should simply have asked for clarification of his comment. Reading things into it that aren't there doesn't go with the reasonable posting and behavior of this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
 
31,909 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
You are so right, i just recently started coming to this side of the forum and i have seen the same things. I am like you, dead center. There are some things that i agree on and others that i dont. I just try to not let others get to me, i mean, everyone has an opinion, but too many times instead of saying their opinion, they try to push their agenda on you. You are either with them or against them, there is no in-between. I have noticed the same things that people that have problems with illegal immigration also take offense to religion, poverty, hispanics, black people, cultural issues and learning languages. They are also very negative and angry people. They have no empathy or soul. All i know, is that they must live a sad life. Instead of finding joy in things and in life, they prefer to spew anger and negativity to the first person that does not agree with them and refuse to debate the issue like an adult or a civilized person. I have also noticed that they insult and call people names, usually first. I would just do you. Life is just too short to be getting upset about the little things and if it doesnt directly affect you, then why worry about it?
You're stereotyping again. Most anti-illegals do not fit your negative description of them. You only say so because you want to demonize them for not agreeing with your position on this issue. I haven't seen any middle of the road with you but definitely a defender of illegals and pro-amnesty. That's not middle of the road.

I have no problem with anyone's religious beliefs, those who live in poverty through no fault of their own, Hispanics who stand up for the rule of law rather than ethnic ties, blacks or other cultures. I don't care who wants to learn another language. Just don't force me to because our culture is changing via illegal immigration.

Why shouldn't any loyal, law abiding American get angry when some other Americans don't stand up for the rule of law in our country? Nope, truth isn't name calling. I don't resort to true name calling unless someone attacks me first. Upset about "little" things? I don't consider illegal immigration a little thing when it costs American jobs, resources and billions of our tax dollars. Our country's well being and future is at stake here. Illegal immigration affects all of us in some negative way. Just because I am retired and the job losses don't affect me should I disregard or not care what it does to my fellow American workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM
 
31,909 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What you say, what you interpret others as saying, what you don't say........blah blah blah.

Your opinion of what constitutes an American, what is anti-American, what constitutes name-calling, what doesn't constitute name-calling is nothing more than your opinion - just as who you think is telling the truth and who isn't.
Blah, blah, blah? Gee real civil of you there to belittle what I am saying. It isn't my opinion what constitutes a loyal, law abiding American. It is obvious that if one doesn't stand up for the rule of law and puts their ethnic group above them that wouldn't fit that definition. It isn't what I think is the truth. The truth is what it is. There is no gray area in the truth and everything I have pointed out is the truth not my opinion of it. You just have no retort to the truth but instead consider it name calling. When the truth is never name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 PM
 
31,909 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have also been called anti-brown skin, racist etc. In light of the fact that my Thai wife is as brown as any from south of the border, I laugh at the insult. These accusations revolve around if one points out that hispanics from SOB are the focus because they also happen to account for the vast majority of illegals.
Yet, under this topic you are considered to be civil rather than racist for pointing out the same things that I have in the above.

I totally agree with you though. It isn't anti-brown skin, racist etc. to point out that most illegals are from south of our border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
 
31,909 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Those remarks are not considered racist. It's what you say that surrounds those remarks and how you say it.

You know the saying: it's not how what you say, but how you say it.
Oh, really? Just how have I made the same comments as tinman has but mine are racist and his are not? I can hardly wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top