U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times

Advertisements

I have been posting on this forum for almost 6 years. I think many would agree that I am reasonable for the most part. I get along with posters on both sides of the issue. Here is my 2 cents.
This forum has always been a bit rabid at times. At times it is vindictive and due to the nature of the internet people can be slanderous if not vile. We all have strong feelings and opinions. We all have valid points. Nothing will destroy a valid point faster than including a personal attack. I myself have been the victim of a few attacks and from both sides.... I have even avoided this forum at times just to get a breath of fresh air from the same old B.S...
Individually I get along with just about everyone, exchanging DM's etc and having a good conversation, even with those who are polar opposites from me.
We are not politicians seeking to please our party of choice, we can afford to compromise and be open minded.
Yac does a good job of weeding out the trolls and god bless yac for the patience demonstrated thus far.

What I propose is that posters start using the DM function to learn a little about each other and maybe gain a measure of understanding. It has worked for me.
Take IBMuseum for example. We exchange DM's fairly often and always have. We disagree often, but always respectfully.. Respect costs nothing people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have been posting on this forum for almost 6 years. I think many would agree that I am reasonable for the most part. I get along with posters on both sides of the issue. Here is my 2 cents.

This forum has always been a bit rabid at times. At times it is vindictive and due to the nature of the internet people can be slanderous if not vile. We all have strong feelings and opinions. We all have valid points. Nothing will destroy a valid point faster than including a personal attack. I myself have been the victim of a few attacks and from both sides.... I have even avoided this forum at times just to get a breath of fresh air from the same old B.S...
I love a good fight (think "confrontation" as expressed in the movie "Cry Freedom"), it's in my nature. But I'm always trying to make people think. Some may equate that with being willfully antagonistic, but I'm not going to dispute how someone feels, and I will be the first to confess that I don't have all of the answers.

Part of my personal philosophy is that "God" (in whichever form that is represented to you) individually (and constantly) tests us (in the Christian faith, we beg of Him not to lead us into temptation, I don't know enough of other religions for interpretations in their texts, but there probably are some similarities). Fail the lesson, and "God" reminds you of it later (but "God" never gives you more than you can handle). There has always been the "karma" in my life to need the help of others I have previously wronged.

But to paraphrase my friend Ruben, if you get angry because I made you think, don't be so stuck on yourself to think that I wronged you. Welcome to my 12-step program, done my way. We might skip a few, and are endless hung in others, but by the end we will be better people, by "God".

Quote:
...Individually I get along with just about everyone, exchanging DM's etc and having a good conversation, even with those who are polar opposites from me.
We are not politicians seeking to please our party of choice, we can afford to compromise and be open minded...
I don't look for friends to agree with me, rather those (and situations) that will challenge me. Bi-la kaifa, I am Fremen! Sorry "Oldglory", that is "Dune-speak" (and also leading to a fascinating concept expressed in Arabic, where Frank Herbert pulled it from).

Quote:
...Yac does a good job of weeding out the trolls and god bless yac for the patience demonstrated thus far...
And allowing the occasional off-topic discussion like this, for the catharsis it provides...

Quote:
...What I propose is that posters start using the DM function to learn a little about each other and maybe gain a measure of understanding. It has worked for me...
I have a mixed take with what you are suggesting here. It's true I've been thankful to meet you and others through DM, and would like to remain open to contact by anyone in the future. If someone feels they want to send me a DM, it better be well enough thought out, not to do some final point they didn't do publicly.

Quote:
Take IBMMuseum for example. We exchange DM's fairly often and always have. We disagree often, but always respectfully.. Respect costs nothing people.
Thank You.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,858,306 times
The thing is politics will always get people riled up. I look at it as both sides are crooks and as soon as people realize that things will be better.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:18 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,900,640 times
There are a large number of rascist, classist and homophobic postings which denote the need for therapy, unfortunately.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM

31,497 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Individually I get along with just about everyone, exchanging DM's etc and having a good conversation, even with those who are polar opposites from me.
We are not politicians seeking to please our party of choice, we can afford to compromise and be open minded.
Yac does a good job of weeding out the trolls and god bless yac for the patience demonstrated thus far.

What I propose is that posters start using the DM function to learn a little about each other and maybe gain a measure of understanding. It has worked for me.
Take IBMuseum for example. We exchange DM's fairly often and always have. We disagree often, but always respectfully.. Respect costs nothing people.
I have been told not to PM certain posters anymore. I told the truth based on the past and present and they couldn't handle it. I have had to resort to setting them straight in their lies and false accusations of me in the open forum and I know that isn't what Yac wants but else can I do? If I report them then I am called a "whiner" even though that is what we are supposed to do. I have been copied by Yac posts of mine that he considered were in violation of the forum rules along with the person's remarks that they were directed at so I know they "whine" also. It really is being a hypocrite to admonish someone for reporting offensive posts to Yac when they do the same thing.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have been told not to PM certain posters anymore. I told the truth based on the past and present and they couldn't handle it. I have had to resort to setting them straight in their lies and false accusations of me in the open forum and I know that isn't what Yac wants but else can I do? If I report them then I am called a "whiner" even though that is what we are supposed to do. I have been copied by Yac posts of mine that he considered were in violation of the forum rules along with the person's remarks that they were directed at so I know they "whine" also. It really is being a hypocrite to admonish someone for reporting offensive posts to Yac when they do the same thing.
Let the whiners "whine". I've been warned by a Mod a few times but I've reported MANY posters since I've been on CDF for their straight up attacks and NOT just pro illegal alien people either.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 AM

3,186 posts, read 5,454,537 times
I try to not chastise people too hard. lol

Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,551,884 times
I stopped coming to this forum sometime ago. When I first came on this forum I was pretty much in the center. But it appears that you are either all in or you aren't. I was called un-American. I kept reading the posts and allowed myself to get sucked in - this was not the doing of anyone but myself.

What you feed your mind reflects in your attitude. I didn't like it when I realized I was becoming so negative. I got caught up and allowed the negativity to fester and grow because I was feeding my mind with the poison that was a constant in this forum that went beyond the illegal immigration issue. There is nothing I can do regarding illegal immigration other than have an opinion; I can't change anything, and I can't see allowing something like that to chip away at me, but there are the usual suspects that are so consumed by the illegal immigration issue. Discussions are not discussions unless one is in agreement with those that are so consumed with illegal immigration, it's just a forum that allows people to spew their venom and they can't see it.

How much and for how long can one harp on over something they have no control over, but has taken control of them? I would be curious as to what those who are so emotional about illegal immigration have done about it other than wash, rinse, repeat their issues on illegal immigration. I also find that the usual suspects also have "issues" with religion, black people, poverty. Tells me that this goes beyond illegal immigration.

For many here illegal immigration is a two-sided coin: illegal immigration and Hispanics.

My 2 cents FWIW.

Last edited by softblueyz; 08-04-2013 at 01:18 AM..

Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,168,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I stopped coming to this forum sometime ago. When I first came on this forum I was pretty much in the center. But it appears that you are either all in or you aren't. I was called un-American. I kept reading the posts and allowed myself to get sucked in - this was not the doing of anyone but myself.

What you feed your mind reflects in your attitude. I didn't like it when I realized I was becoming so negative. I got caught up and allowed the negativity to fester and grow because I was feeding my mind with the poison that was a constant in this forum that went beyond the illegal immigration issue. There is nothing I can do regarding illegal immigration other than have an opinion; I can't change anything, and I can't see allowing something like that to chip away at me, but there are the usual suspects that are so consumed by the illegal immigration issue. Discussions are not discussions unless one is in agreement with those that are so consumed with illegal immigration, it's just a forum that allows people to spew their venom and they can't see it.

How much and for how long can one harp on over something they have no control over, but has taken control of them? I would be curious as to what those who are so emotional about illegal immigration have done about it other than wash, rinse, repeat their issues on illegal immigration. I also find that the usual suspects also have "issues" with religion, black people, poverty. Tells me that this goes beyond illegal immigration.

For many here illegal immigration is a two-sided coin: illegal immigration and Hispanics.

My 2 cents FWIW.
You are so right, i just recently started coming to this side of the forum and i have seen the same things. I am like you, dead center. There are some things that i agree on and others that i dont. I just try to not let others get to me, i mean, everyone has an opinion, but too many times instead of saying their opinion, they try to push their agenda on you. You are either with them or against them, there is no in-between. I have noticed the same things that people that have problems with illegal immigration also take offense to religion, poverty, hispanics, black people, cultural issues and learning languages. They are also very negative and angry people. They have no empathy or soul. All i know, is that they must live a sad life. Instead of finding joy in things and in life, they prefer to spew anger and negativity to the first person that does not agree with them and refuse to debate the issue like an adult or a civilized person. I have also noticed that they insult and call people names, usually first. I would just do you. Life is just too short to be getting upset about the little things and if it doesnt directly affect you, then why worry about it?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:21 PM

31,497 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Many times I find it easier to put people on ignore that constantly make false accusations of me and hurl personal insults at me. They can't be reasoned with and won't admit what they themselves actually are so there is no point in reading their posts or replying to them anymore. It helps keep the peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or