U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 3,286,891 times
Reputation: 3081
Default This is such BULL!

You pass a law, then get sued for trying to enforce it!

Immigration Law Faces New Legal Challenge - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/14559432/detail.html - broken link)

 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
7,843 posts, read 15,416,570 times
Reputation: 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
You pass a law, then get sued for trying to enforce it!
I agree 100%, Jess

Kinda makes you wonder why we even bother to vote when we have so many "ambulance chasers" making a joke out of our legal system with ridiculous challenges such as this one!
 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Status: "Fire Roger Goodell!" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Arlington, Virginia
14,830 posts, read 16,901,531 times
Reputation: 15163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
You pass a law, then get sued for trying to enforce it!

Immigration Law Faces New Legal Challenge - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/14559432/detail.html - broken link)
this is the america of the 21st century. enforce the law, prepare to be sued.

aint america great?
 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
 
Location: NM
402 posts, read 679,734 times
Reputation: 199
Unbelievable, well not really, but who gave these non citizens rights in the USA?
 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
 
1,392 posts, read 1,817,819 times
Reputation: 407
Liberals will tell you it's the 14th Amendment that give illegals their rights.



Amendment 14
Civil rights
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws


""""nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"""""

And this is the part they are using. Even tho Section 1 of the 14th Amendment was written only to protect the freed salves and their children. The ACLU uses it all of the time.
 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM
 
273 posts, read 12,366 times
Reputation: 101
One has a record and done time in prison, the other has 3 abuse charges.....
Now the hispanic lawyer Lopez cries: "pobrecitos" and offers to represent them for free...
They'll never pay her anyway, but maybe she'll change her opinion when they corner her after their release and "abuse" her sexually? It's called Karma, baby!
 
Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 PM
 
2,429 posts, read 4,475,599 times
Reputation: 969
Because they are illegal aliens the judge should take into consideration their status and deem them career criminals and a high risk to violently re-offend. They should get the maximum possible sentence and then be deported.
 
Old 11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,420 posts, read 15,695,143 times
Reputation: 5186
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Liberals will tell you it's the 14th Amendment that give illegals their rights.



Amendment 14
Civil rights
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws


""""nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"""""

And this is the part they are using. Even tho Section 1 of the 14th Amendment was written only to protect the freed salves and their children. The ACLU uses it all of the time.
The part the I highlighted in your quote, show me where that limitation is specified in the 14th Amendment.
 
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
 
1,392 posts, read 1,817,819 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The part the I highlighted in your quote, show me where that limitation is specified in the 14th Amendment.

Birthright Citizenship and the Constitution

December 1, 2005
Birthright Citizenship and the Constitution
by Edward Erler
WebMemo #925
The following is an entry concerning the first section of Amendment 14 of the Constitution as found in The Heritage Guide to the Constitution.


Before the adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment, citizens of the states were automatically considered citizens of the United States. In 1857, the Dred Scott v. Sanford decision had held that no black of African descent (even a freed black) could be a citizen of the United States. The Fourteenth Amendment was thus necessary to overturn Dred Scott and to settle the question of the citizenship of the newly freed slaves. The Fourteenth Amendment made United States citizenship primary and state citizenship derivative. The primacy of federal citizenship made it impossible for states to prevent former slaves from becoming United States citizens by withholding state citizenship. States could no longer prevent any black from United States citizenship or from state citizenship either.


If you read the above you will see what the 14th was for. It was written to protect freed salves and nothing more until a liberal gets a hold of it, just as they like to take "We The People" out of context.

Go back and read what I said about liberals using that part for what they want it to mean. I don't think I said what I said was written in the 14 th.

Last edited by texanborn; 11-11-2007 at 09:17 PM..
 
Old 11-11-2007, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,420 posts, read 15,695,143 times
Reputation: 5186
The Amendment can only be enforced as written. Should the limitation have been intended, it needed to be included in the wording of the Fourteenth Amendment. As written, it provides protection and rights to all covered parties.

It has nothing to do with liberals, it has to do with law.

FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Fourteenth Amendment: Annotations pg. 1 of 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top