U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,712,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Exactly, while it may be a home owner's right to request id or whatever. It is also the worker's right to show it only to their boss. There is no law saying you have to show ID to a homeowner before you work on their house. They don't have to show it the home owner and I know I wouldn't. If they have a problem with it, well then they can fix their house their damn self.
The homeowner then has the right to deny you, the worker, the ability to work on his property. You're right, there is no law saying you have to show ID to the homeowner, that doesn't change the fact that if you don't the home owner can kick you off his property and deny you the work. The homeowner can request things of you (homeowners rights) and the contractor, if you do not meet those requirements, you don't work.

Your own prerogative is "they can fix their house their damn self."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 AM

23,601 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Quote:
No, it's a fact. You apparently have never worked with American kids, they are lazy and cause problems. I would much rather hire an illegal than an American kid.

Tell that to the kids (sons of a friend of mine) that I hire from time to time to do thankless manual labor on my property. They work for about the same hourly rate as a day laborer would, but they're bootstrapping American kids who work their butts off. I'll take them over an illegal day laborer any day of the week.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 AM

31,507 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Tell that to the kids (sons of a friend of mine) that I hire from time to time to do thankless manual labor on my property. They work for about the same hourly rate as a day laborer would, but they're bootstrapping American kids who work their butts off. I'll take them over an illegal day laborer any day of the week.
You know and I know that this is just propaganda spread by the pro-illegals anyway. Yeah, our entire nation of youth are just lazy. I don't understand this focus on "kid" labor anyway. Many adult Americans have been put out of work due to illegal immigration and it wasn't because they were lazy either.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Push the issue and you could land yourself in court.

The EEOC/ACLU doesn't tolerate discrimination, even when that worker is not a legal US citizen.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Exactly, while it may be a home owner's right to request id or whatever. It is also the worker's right to show it only to their boss. There is no law saying you have to show ID to a homeowner before you work on their house. They don't have to show it the home owner and I know I wouldn't. If they have a problem with it, well then they can fix their house their damn self.
Exactly the homeowner can opt not to aid and abet criminal activity. They can opt not to support or facilitate illegals.
Let's face facts a contractor typically won't let a a job go if they can prevent it. Producing proof of workers eligibility isn't a big deal if they are in fact in compliance with the law.
If I saw the roofer show up with what appeared to be 13 year old kids to go up on my roof I would question that also. It is true these child like workers may be dwarfs but it is doubtful.
As the homeowner you have rights. When you negotiate with a contractor it is reasonable to assume that they are going to do the work according to code, with legally obtained materials and with employees who are legally allowed to work in this country.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,387,052 times
Quote:
"or whatever"?This just shows how little you understand about home ownership.

NOBODY gets on my property without showing proof of being insured and bonded and with government issued ID. And any business person is happy to provide it.

The last people I had here installed a new AC system and the company doesn't even allow them in without booties and they're not allowed to accept water they have to bring their own in a giant cooler. They walk in WITH the papers ready.

It is a huge liability to have people working on your property. One stupid move and you end up paying for it.

Your indignation will not get you anywhere in life; learn about how things work. And with that attitude you're going to get all the WORST jobs not the best.

I'm a pet sitter and the first thing my first client did was check my ID and take my picture. I was on her lawyers' speed dial and made about 23,000 from HER ALONE in one year.

You obviously don't even understand that some people have personal issues like stalkers, domestic disputes etc and need to protect THEMSELVES. I can think of 5 clients in one year that were in that position. One of them was a TV newscaster with a stalker that the police were chasing for months.

Grow up. Oh, and google eVerify. I guess you think I'm going to all the trouble of hiring someone LEGAL only to have them refuse to prove to my customers that they ARE who they SAY? They'd be PROUD to show that, if they're going to be MY employee. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-15-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Your typical total labor cost is not just the worker's salary.
There are additional taxes employers have to pay over and above employee salary.

So if a worker earns $200/week the employer is paying $300-$400/week in total labor cost.
If that worker is an illegal working for cash, the total labor cost is that $200.

Same goes for visa workers. Employers do not have to pay FICA/UE/etc. for visa workers.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 AM

3,186 posts, read 5,456,789 times
People that hire illegals need to be given some reasons NOT to do so. These reasons can come late at night when no one is around .

Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
People that hire illegals need to be given some reasons NOT to do so. These reasons can come late at night when no one is around .
For a bunch of "Internet Tough Guys" that can't often identify if someone is actually an illegal alien, the concept of vigilantes going after employers becomes even more interesting. Why wouldn't the behavior of holding suspected illegal aliens "at gunpoint" or trying to personally deport all "non-citizens" (both concepts I have seen expressed here) not be thought of as kooky? But I guess I'll get the "ethnocentric" label for that one too, because it interferes with the mobs being able to what they want.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,074,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Gee, profile much?
Well there are at least 11 million that they seem to know about but how many unaccounted for? And, there appears to be a clear history of the contractors hiring illegals by the few posts here.

11 Million and Growing: Breaking Down the Number of Undocumented Immigrants in the US | @pritheworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You have to understand the victim mentality card that gets played by those with ties to the Mexican/Hispanic community. They scream "racial profiling" all the time because the bottom line is that they want to protect that ethnic group here illegally from detection or have become so immersed into that ethnic/cultural community that all they see is discrimination and victimhood for them rather than the bottom line. They'll never admit it though and instead they will insinuate that you are a racist for pointing out the truth to shut you up.
What I actually found was that those that come here legally, immigrants from where ever or whose family immigrated legally, feel the same way as I do. They didn't get a free ride and had to earn their way here and all the publicity of the demands being made by the illegals makes it hard for those. So, who is at fault for what some refer to as "profiling"? The illegal immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Here in Arizona; illegal aliens can't have drivers licenses or MVD ID cards, no ID, no work.
We lived in AZ for 6 years and I threw a fit because my son with DS couldn't get adequate speech therapy because English as a Second Language was sucking up all of the special education budget. I started doing a lot of checking and making a lot of calls. Illegal documents are easy to get and schools who need funding don't ask questions of the documents and I'm guessing contractors are no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I don't care what language they are speaking if it's not English I don't want to hire them. However let's be honest and state illegals ARE taking these jobs and no I don't want to reward them for being here ILLEGALLY which means against the law, which means they are criminals.
It is my understanding that they have invaded some of the RV manufacturers and if you look at the units using help, without education and skills, it shows up. I would surely question the credentials of anyone I was hiring before they started working. A warm body is just not good enough for most jobs to come out satisfactorily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
According to who and based on what?
If they didn't check in and no system was used to account for them how can any number be accurate? There could be 5 million or 30 million. The 11 million number is a guesstimate at best.
But still (only) 11 million? That is still a lot and way to many.
That's my thought. We live in a town where, before slaughtering ended at this plant, brought Hispanics presumed to be illegal in by the busloads. My son said he saw a busload come in every Monday and unload. Someone at the grocery said that on payday, they show up to send money to Mexico - maybe that's why Mexico doesn't want to close the border. This is a real drain on the town since wages leave the area and don't support the local economy.

It is obvious here that they don't ask for documents. Some of the manufacturers appear to use the temp agencies to "cover" allowing them to get the cheaper labor without the risk. I had a friend whose husband was in construction contracting and she said that if they worked, he didn't care if they were legal or not. Plus, they don't complain about conditions which will change when they are no longer at risk of being deported. Her husband contracted with the state government and learned how different a government system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or