U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Agreed, and when was the last time that an entire crew of Russians showed up on a construction site? As I said, an entire crew of Hispanics showing up and all speaking in Spanish does not necessarily indicate that they are illegals and I explained the reason why in another post. However, it a good idea to check out a contractor's credentials and reputation before he even brings a construction crew to your house. It is not out of line to ask an electrician, plumber to show you their license before working on your house and a lot fewer problems will occur with the workmanship also.
I'm lucky because my wife is one of the beautiful brown people. hehehe
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Well i can tell what i did in 2010 when we had a huge project undertaking. A huge project, even adding another 3 car garage, totaled quite a bit. Additions and knocking walls galore. Huge home single with the appearance of a two story, at over 5,000 sq ft. it really is gorgeous, cannot believe i live in this home.

The contractor i hired was up to date on his licenses. Did not seem to be any problems. But what he did do was bid low on my project. Guess he thought he would make up for this, by hiring illegals.

Did not know at first, come on now, there are a lot of legal hispanics in the trade also. But day by day i started noticing, the crappy work these idiots were doing, i would ***** and complain and things would have to be done over and over again. The worse wall-borad i ever saw, these idiots did not even put it up straight. Did not know how to paint, nothing they did would satisfy me, the work was ****.

Wasn't until one day i saw my contractor out of one of my many windows, many, paying these clowns under the table. I went from room to room with my cell phone and took pictures.

One of the men told me to my face he was illegal, and the money he made he sent back home to Mexico. And no many of these illegals are not guilty of a thing, if American employers are going to hire them, as he put this, this is too easy.

My italian blood was at the boiling and breaking point. Next day i told my a-hole contractor who is also italian, not good. That i had pictures of him paying these illegals, and that one told me to my face he was.

Lo and behold next day i had a brand new american crew. Still i was not happy,. The contractor walked at the end of my probject leaving my husband and myself, to finish what they did not. Was ok we have experience with additions, and home rennovations, doing all the work our loneseome selves. Guess what the inspector thought we were professionals, and said our work is supberb.

I made the proper phone calls to the local Contractors Board, and another important call. I got, thank you for being a concern citizen. And would do this again in a heartbeat.

As far as i know this contractor, have a nice name for him, has not been in business since 2010.

And yes the home is breathtaking, what they did do, and our work, speaks for itself.
I personally do not care if workers are speaking spanish, if they are here legally.

My parents use to speak italian with other italians, but had respect also. If out in public, the italian was dropped, and they only spoke english.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
...It is not profiling to vet your employees...
It is profiling, unless everyone goes through the same checks...

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,168,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post
How would you deal with Hiring a contractor to do work in your home and only to find out when the workers come that they are all speaking Spanish and you suspect them to be illegal?

What would be your course of action?

This is all too common.
As long as they do a good job, I don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd call the contractor.

Whenever I've contracted work to be done on my house I make it clear up-front that I will not accept a crew on my property that speaks only Spanish. I also emphasize that everyone needs to have papers. I've asked to see peoples' green cards before; they are supposed to carry them with them.
Wait, don't you have a degree in a foreign language? I only ask because those kind of degrees usually open you up to new cultures that most people don't have disdain for. On a side note, I am a citizen and even if someone asked to see I guess an ID, I mean how do you prove it for a citizen? I would probably tell you to go to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why should someone need to show you they are a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident? It is possible to have work authorization without that status. I just see this as another gauntlet that somebody thinks they can put Hispanics through.
Yep, same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Hispanics always the victims. Always persecuted. This "claim" gets old after awhile.
The whole american vs immigrant and using the cover of illegal immigration to mask racism gets old too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I do this too. I would ask my dad for his contractor he has used because this guy only uses Americans (mostly college students actually). If you can't speak English and only speak Spanish, nope not going to hire you.
I'm not surprised though that is very xenophobic of you.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post
How would you deal with Hiring a contractor to do work in your home and only to find out when the workers come that they are all speaking Spanish and you suspect them to be illegal?

What would be your course of action?

This is all too common.
Well, aside from asking them to leave and looking for another contractor who uses people who are legally eligible to work in the United States, there's not much else you can do.

However, in the future, simply talk with the contractor before giving him the job. Ask if he employs people legally eligible to work here in the states. If he can't give you a straight answer, don't hire him. Also let it be known that you must have workers on site that can understand and speak your language, so that you can communicate properly with them while they are on your job. In the end, you are in total control of what happens in your home. Let them keep working or pay them for what's done and send em packing. It is possible to get construction workers who are here legally and do speak English.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why should someone need to show you they are a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident? It is possible to have work authorization without that status. I just see this as another gauntlet that somebody thinks they can put Hispanics through.
Here in Arizona; illegal aliens can't have drivers licenses or MVD ID cards, no ID, no work.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,856,225 times
I don't care what language they are speaking if it's not English I don't want to hire them. However let's be honest and state illegals ARE taking these jobs and no I don't want to reward them for being here ILLEGALLY which means against the law, which means they are criminals.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Here in Arizona; illegal aliens can't have drivers licenses or MVD ID cards, no ID, no work.
In Arizona, DACA applicants can petition for work authorization, and still be unable to get a driver's license (the state, along with Nebraska, specifically excludes DACA EAD, which is work authorization, but not all other categories of EAD). That is, lawfully able to be employed, but not authorized to have a driver's license. Sheesh, there are classifications of illegal aliens in Arizona that can petition for EAD, then get a driver's license.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:20 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
In Texas if anybody working on your property gets hurt, they can go after the property owners insurance company. Justask to see the insurance certificate.

I know that the stimulus money said all workers employed by stimulus funds had to be citizens. If the USA government wants to see the green card, so do I. It is not profiling to vet your employees.

Better be careful though. I needed a 4500 sf house painted, in and out, remove wallpaper, texture,etc. I wanted citizens, so I called the union hall. I paid substantially more than the other bids for the company I hired. Found out that the owner only hired substance abusers who had lost their driver's licenses. He picked them all up for work every morning, and paid them a pittance. I made sure they all knew what I was paying for the job.
The problem with the green card, a lot of illegals actually have them, they're just another easily stolen and purchased document that many illegals have on them.

I know for a fact that contractors here are hiring citizens and paying them less than legal wage because that's the only way they can compete with the crooks who hire illegals.

Many jobs are going over to "contract" work because that's how employers can avoid the labor laws. They may have someone working for 10 hours and pay them $65 -- no over time pay, no minimum wage. Illegals gladly grab up these jobs and many citizens, especially younger ones have to go along with this if they want to earn money.

The pro-illegal politicians know full well that those 11-30 million illegals they intend to add to the legal labor pool will not all have full time jobs with benefits waiting for them. By legalizing them though, they make it possible for the illegals to grab up all kinds of jobs but many will go on working as contract labor making considerably less than minimum wage and no job benefits of any kind and if American citizens want to work, that's what they'll have to do also.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,168,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with the green card, a lot of illegals actually have them, they're just another easily stolen and purchased document that many illegals have on them.

I know for a fact that contractors here are hiring citizens and paying them less than legal wage because that's the only way they can compete with the crooks who hire illegals.

Many jobs are going over to "contract" work because that's how employers can avoid the labor laws. They may have someone working for 10 hours and pay them $65 -- no over time pay, no minimum wage. Illegals gladly grab up these jobs and many citizens, especially younger ones have to go along with this if they want to earn money.

The pro-illegal politicians know full well that those 11-30 million illegals they intend to add to the legal labor pool will not all have full time jobs with benefits waiting for them. By legalizing them though, they make it possible for the illegals to grab up all kinds of jobs but many will go on working as contract labor making considerably less than minimum wage and no job benefits of any kind and if American citizens want to work, that's what they'll have to do also.
where do you get 11-30 million illegals from? There is only 11 million, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or