U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,016,445 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

I've related two incidents here before that were employment-based, and ultimately false assumptions of my wife's legal status. One was an impatient customer loudly calling her a "wet-back", and saying that Wal-Mart was hiring "too many illegal aliens" like her. The other was a customer calling the management after leaving the store, falsely claiming that my wife was trying to "steal her identity" (because she requested, and wrote the driver's license number on the personal check used to pay).

Both times those customers had left the location of her workplace without fully understanding my wife's authorization to be in the United States, and to work. I've seen her eyed intently when people hear her accent in passing, and that is while she is speaking in English! Sure, it's not where we have people asking for her "Green Card" (as if it is any of their business), but their first assumption is that she is an illegal alien.

On this thread I have corrected the mistaken notion of a nation-wide law, and asked about the perception of how people thought they were burdening suspected illegal aliens while not offending those legally here. I knew this topic wouldn't hold to its intentions once it was posted here. How could it, I've got a jeering section that alludes me to being a race-traitor of some sort, with use of the term "ethnocentric".

I don't think it would have been possible to serve with some of the fine men I had in my units if I had that sentiment. Great topic "tinman01", too bad it has hopelessly failed as all the threads here die. Yac will clean it up what he can, maybe close it, so it can all be forgotten in a couple weeks. Sad, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,775,783 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know I'm not a racist, which is why I'm not shutting up.
Let them start the job (if the contractor says they are legal) then call INS and let them come verify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,016,445 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
where do you get 11-30 million illegals from? There is only 11 million, that's it.
Well, he "overhears" things in "welfare offices", and comes up some stories...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 AM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,869,914 times
Reputation: 5888
Blackscorpion I am not xenophobic, I just expect people I hire to speak English since that is our language in the United States. No speak English, no hiring. That's how it should be. I want illegals deported and am tired of the ones who steal jobs and take welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 AM
 
31,747 posts, read 14,631,102 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I'm lucky because my wife is one of the beautiful brown people. hehehe

I have never been hung up on skin color. In fact I think those that have brown/olive skin tones are to be envied because I look like the Pillsbury Dough boy, lol. It is all about our immigration laws and not losing our identifying culture, language and heritage due to too much legal immigration that isn't diversified and certainly not through illegal immigration which is unlawful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
 
31,747 posts, read 14,631,102 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Blackscorpion I am not xenophobic, I just expect people I hire to speak English since that is our language in the United States. No speak English, no hiring. That's how it should be. I want illegals deported and am tired of the ones who steal jobs and take welfare.
I always have to laugh when someone uses the word "xenophobic" when one objects to illegal immigration. A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. Just what ethnic group/race or nationality is a stranger to our country? Do they not realize that we have millions of Hispanic-Americans in our country? It is just a desperate attempt to demonize and label anyone who objects to the take over of our country by illegal aliens and giving them amnesty and they are usually from the same ethnic group as most of the illegals in our country. What does that say about THEM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,624 posts, read 31,208,083 times
Reputation: 26696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Maybe everytime someone insinuates that I am a racist I should post a link (and I have them) that proves that most illegals here are Mexicans/Latinos and that many if not most of same ethnic group who are citizens of this country think they should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them. However, It would just be repetitious of those "facts" being posted many times before so what is the point? Would those "facts" being posted still be considered racist? I think we all know the answer to that one so we can't win. Even though we state that we still want all illegals gone the labels would be still be flying.

I have even stated under this topic that just because an entire work crew is speaking in Spanish it does not make them illegals because the language of choice even for many if not most Hispanics is still Spanish even when they know English but I guess that fell on deaf ears.
You're right; the sad fact is that most illegals in this area are Hispanic, and most sub crews will be composed of a high percentage of illegals. They may not all be illegal, but it's a safe bet that some are.

I kind of laugh when people try to call me a racist; I'm a minority myself (Jewish) and have mainly brought brown men home to mom and dad. I ended up marrying a white guy, but he wasn't American. The last guy I dated was black, and I'm going on a date this weekend with someone who was born in...let's call it...a controversial country. The kind of place where people's eyebrows shoot up, especially since I'm Jewish. So, racist? Xenophobic? Hardly. I have as many non-white or non-American friends as I have "cracka" friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Wait, don't you have a degree in a foreign language? I only ask because those kind of degrees usually open you up to new cultures that most people don't have disdain for. On a side note, I am a citizen and even if someone asked to see I guess an ID, I mean how do you prove it for a citizen? I would probably tell you to go to hell.
I do. I've even been an immigrant myself...not entirely because I have multiple passports, but I felt like an immigrant. However...having been a foreigner in foreign countries where English is not spoken, I always spoke in the lingua franca of where I was living. In Poland, I spoke Polish unless people specifically asked me to speak English to them. In Germany, I spoke German. In France, I spoke French. You get the picture. I can also speak Spanish, but I do it on my own terms. If I want to speak Spanish, I initiate a conversation in Spanish. I do not like being forced to speak Spanish in a country where English is the de facto official language.

I do not equate a disdain for illegal immigration with a disdain for other cultures. All four of my grandparents were immigrants, but they didn't sneak over a fence to steal jobs from people. They were fleeing certain death at the hands of the Nazis. (This is why I remain a strong supporter of fair treatment for asylum seekers/refugees.)

It's my right to ask you for ID, and it's your right to tell me to go to hell. However I am well within my rights as a property owner to insist that people who work on my property are authorized to work in this country. I don't think that is unreasonable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Let them start the job (if the contractor says they are legal) then call INS and let them come verify it.
ICE doesn't make housecalls for stuff like that; in DFW they'd never get any work done. You can report them to a hotline, but I doubt they ever even bother with those reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM
 
31,747 posts, read 14,631,102 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're right; the sad fact is that most illegals in this area are Hispanic, and most sub crews will be composed of a high percentage of illegals. They may not all be illegal, but it's a safe bet that some are.

I kind of laugh when people try to call me a racist; I'm a minority myself (Jewish) and have mainly brought brown men home to mom and dad. I ended up marrying a white guy, but he wasn't American. The last guy I dated was black, and I'm going on a date this weekend with someone who was born in...let's call it...a controversial country. The kind of place where people's eyebrows shoot up, especially since I'm Jewish. So, racist? Xenophobic? Hardly. I have as many non-white or non-American friends as I have "cracka" friends.



I do. I've even been an immigrant myself...not entirely because I have multiple passports, but I felt like an immigrant. However...having been a foreigner in foreign countries where English is not spoken, I always spoke in the lingua franca of where I was living. In Poland, I spoke Polish unless people specifically asked me to speak English to them. In Germany, I spoke German. In France, I spoke French. You get the picture. I can also speak Spanish, but I do it on my own terms. If I want to speak Spanish, I initiate a conversation in Spanish. I do not like being forced to speak Spanish in a country where English is the de facto official language.

I do not equate a disdain for illegal immigration with a disdain for other cultures. All four of my grandparents were immigrants, but they didn't sneak over a fence to steal jobs from people. They were fleeing certain death at the hands of the Nazis. (This is why I remain a strong supporter of fair treatment for asylum seekers/refugees.)

It's my right to ask you for ID, and it's your right to tell me to go to hell. However I am well within my rights as a property owner to insist that people who work on my property are authorized to work in this country. I don't think that is unreasonable at all.



ICE doesn't make housecalls for stuff like that; in DFW they'd never get any work done. You can report them to a hotline, but I doubt they ever even bother with those reports.
Excellent post! One doesn't have to learn a foreign language in this country to learn about other cultures. We already have several different cultures of people living here and many if not most of them know English. We can get to know one another via our common language. Now if one moves to another country of course it makes sense to learn the common language of that country. That's an entirely different story.

My disdain is for people who don't respect our immigration laws based on a connected ethnicity to those who do violate them and call Americans who object racist, xenophobes, etc.

You're correct. If you call immigration authorities because you suspect someone is here illegally they will ignore your call unless they are a convicted felon. Obama has instructed them not to detain non "convicted" -felon illegal aliens. You are right again. When you hire workers or a contactor to work in your home you have every right to make sure they are authorized to work in this country. If you don't you could be held accountable for aiding and abetting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,624 posts, read 31,208,083 times
Reputation: 26696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excellent post! One doesn't have to learn a foreign language in this country to learn about other cultures. We already have several different cultures of people living here and many if not most of them know English. We can get to know one another via our common language. Now if one moves to another country of course it makes sense to learn the common language of that country. That's an entirely different story.
Exactly! I grew up in a household where French, German, Polish, Yiddish, and even Hebrew were regularly spoken. Going to kindergarten was a shock because it was all in English! Even though I could communicate effectively in those languages in Europe, I spoke the antiquated versions of Jewish refugees so I sounded weird to people in those countries. They also used a lot of slang that I didn't know, so it's not like I popped off the plane and had NO problems at all. It took effort, and some people did poke fun at my accent. I just ignored it and worked harder to improve my proficiency in those languages.

Quote:
My disdain is for people who don't respect our immigration laws based on a connected ethnicity to those who do violate them and call Americans who object racist, xenophobes, etc.
Exactly. Racism is a tired old strawman argument. Once someone accuses me of being a racist, I know they've got nothing in the tank. They can't defend their position, so they attack me instead. Typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
where do you get 11-30 million illegals from? There is only 11 million, that's it.
According to who and based on what?
If they didn't check in and no system was used to account for them how can any number be accurate? There could be 5 million or 30 million. The 11 million number is a guesstimate at best.
But still (only) 11 million? That is still a lot and way to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top