U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times

Advertisements

It's happened more than once to me. Deal with a company and then a crew of immigrants show up to do the work with only the supervisor speaking English. You've put down money, signed a contract and possibly have been rescheduled a few times. What are you going to do ?
I'm not going to demand them to show me their green cards. That's not my job. I am not the contractor here.

The most recent with me was getting a Carolina carport installed.
I can't fight it. I refuse to fight it. It's not my job to fight it.
Our laws condone it and turn a blind eye when it happens.

Am I part of it ? Not willingly but it's done to me anyway.
I pay taxes and I vote and the people in charge are not upholding our laws and modifying the laws on the books to allow it to happen.

What am I supposed to do..install that carport myself ?
There are some areas where I know I cannot win and this is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's happened more than once to me. Deal with a company and then a crew of immigrants show up to do the work with only the supervisor speaking English. You've put down money, signed a contract and possibly have been rescheduled a few times. What are you going to do ?
I'm not going to demand them to show me their green cards. That's not my job. I am not the contractor here.

The most recent with me was getting a Carolina carport installed.
I can't fight it. I refuse to fight it. It's not my job to fight it.
Our laws condone it and turn a blind eye when it happens.

Am I part of it ? Not willingly but it's done to me anyway.
I pay taxes and I vote and the people in charge are not upholding our laws and modifying the laws on the books to allow it to happen.

What am I supposed to do..install that carport myself ?
There are some areas where I know I cannot win and this is one of them.

I understand now more what your saying since 2010 and my experience, then if i had not ever had gone thru my experience.

You interview many days in a row contractors, they are license, you check everything seems fine on the exterior. You hear everything you want to hear, and he did promise me what other contractors did not, they would have charges so much more on price.

Our first big time with a contractor, prior to that, without the health issues, we did all of our own home additions and rennovations. But this was too big a job, and health issues and Doctor would not permit my husband to do so.

When you hire a company, your not thinking or i was not in any way you need to see a green-card. Who would of thought, i never imagined i would experience what i did.

It taught me a lot that expereince, that what you see, is not what your getting. Because after you sign that dotted line, the ball is in the hands of the contractor. I don't know about you, i was not on the job 24/7 gees people have lives, and most do work.

And was my right to do additions to my home if that is what we wanted. My husband loves his 2nd garage, this is where we work on classic mustangs, right now we have a boss 302 out there, yellowjacket in color hood scoop, hot fast car.

In the end the contracting board did come down hard on my contractor, he did get in trouble for using illegal contractors, and paying them all under the table is a no no. Fault me, for what, that is ignorant, this guy was trying to pull a fast one, by hiring illegal workers, and paying them under the table wonder why.

It taught me to really check into everything about a person your thinking of hiring no matter how small or large the project is. Your right, it is not up to us to check every facet of a contractor, and his workers but in this day and age with illegals taking jobs away from americans, oh yes they are, say no, that is a big freaking lie. But we have to check, to make sure the workers are legal, i was stupid until i realized what was going on, if any of those illegals fell, i would have been in trouble. The contractor i believe lost his license, and has not been in business since 2010. But when you hire people these days, it is almost as though you have to hold their hand 24/7 to make sure the job is getting done properly.

Never again, will i ever hire a contractor. It was the most stressful time ever. I learned a lot about contractors, but what i want to know. This was in 2010 not that long ago.

What is the difference bewteen paying illegal workers versus legal american workers, it must be a huge difference. Otherwise why would contractors risk the trouble they can get into, as my contrctor risked. By hiring illegals.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,450,757 times
Here is what I did when I had a new roof put on my house. I told the owner of the company that if any of his workers looked or acted in any way like they were not born here raised here american citizens I would require that he furnish documented IDs of all of the workers..If any were illegals he WOULD NOT BE PAID.. I cant stop the illegals from poring into our country every day but I CAN have a say about who comes on to my property.....

Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
where do you get 11-30 million illegals from? There is only 11 million, that's it.
LOL!!! Sure there are more like 30 million and since when did the government start counting illegals? It can't find them to deport them but it can find them to count them?

8% of births today are to women here illegally. That's a better indication than your phony figure of 11 million.

And keep in mind that in the 1980s amnesty, they were claiming that there were an estimated 300,000 illegals living here and they gave amnesty to over 3,000,000. What's that saying "Fool me once....."

Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
LOL!!! Sure there are more like 30 million and since when did the government start counting illegals? It can't find them to deport them but it can find them to count them?

8% of births today are to women here illegally. That's a better indication than your phony figure of 11 million.

And keep in mind that in the 1980s amnesty, they were claiming that there were an estimated 300,000 illegals living here and they gave amnesty to over 3,000,000. What's that saying "Fool me once....."
It amazes me that someone can repeat a number over and over, and still try to obscure the data from the source that has provided it (along with disregarding other information in the same report). 8% of births in the United States in 2010 had at least one illegal alien parent. I've corrected you on this detail before (with the source), why haven't you adjusted yet?

23% of children under the age of 18 in the United States have at least one foreign-born parent. 7% of those are to at least one illegal alien parent. Illegal alien parents are more likely to have a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident partner rather than another illegal alien.

It's interesting you've brought in a context of "fool me..." in your comment when you seem focused on fooling people about the data...

Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It amazes me that someone can repeat a number over and over, and still try to obscure the data from the source that has provided it (along with disregarding other information in the same report). 8% of births in the United States in 2010 had at least one illegal alien parent. I've corrected you on this detail before (with the source), why haven't you adjusted yet?

23% of children under the age of 18 in the United States have at least one foreign-born parent. 7% of those are to at least one illegal alien parent. Illegal alien parents are more likely to have a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident partner rather than another illegal alien.

It's interesting you've brought in a context of "fool me..." in your comment when you seem focused on fooling people about the data...
The fathers aren't the ones giving birth. Births are to mothers.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The fathers aren't the ones giving birth. Births are to mothers.
Again, you are using the "8%" statistic from a report, but misrepresenting what it means. I expected this of you. Next you'll state (unsourced) that males are something like 80% of the illegal alien population, and if the illegal alien mothers are giving births to "8%" of the babies, then...

The irony is that you are saying the numbers you come up with are more valid...

Here is the Pew document again: Unauthorized Immigrants and Their U.S.-Born Children | Pew Hispanic Center

If you're going to use the source, don't misrepresent the data...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM

I don't really think illegals should learn English, they should be deported back to their homeland and they won't need English there.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe you like living with a bunch of law breakers; yes, ILLEGAL aliens are that, I DON'T and I want them gone. Those people are thieves by helping to push down wages for Americans. Too; I want the employers who hire them to be punished.

Oh i fully and 100% agree. After all if employers did not hire illegal workers, what would they be here for. Go after any employer who employs those illegal workers. The contractor i had hired, did get into trouble, for paying illegal workers under the table. And i know for fact they were pissed about this.

You pay wages under the table for one reason and one only. Punish and fine the hek out of employers who hire illegal workers. And who in the hell says that illegal workers are as good as american workers, in a pigs eye.

Contractors are not saving a dime, if these illegal wokers they hire, don't know what the hek they are doing, and employers end up spending more because of this fact. Whats the point, hire american workers.

My contractor from 2010 was not only punished butlost his license, you do not pay illegal workers under the table, and the contracting board find out about it.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Some serious BS in here...

To those that would question the contractors legal status to their faces:

Do you also question your car washer for an ID?
How about before you buy strawberries? Do look the farm up drive there and question all of the workers in the field?
How about your canned goods, do you go to the processing plant and ask for ID?
I suppose you question the janitor at work too?
How about the bus boy... better question him too.

You do none of it...and I seriously doubt you stop the Spanish crew putting your new roof on either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or