Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM

33 posts, read 72,277 times

Advertisements

How would you deal with Hiring a contractor to do work in your home and only to find out when the workers come that they are all speaking Spanish and you suspect them to be illegal?

What would be your course of action?

This is all too common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post
How would you deal with Hiring a contractor to do work in your home and only to find out when the workers come that they are all speaking Spanish and you suspect them to be illegal?

This is all too common.
I'd call the contractor.

Whenever I've contracted work to be done on my house I make it clear up-front that I will not accept a crew on my property that speaks only Spanish. I also emphasize that everyone needs to have papers. I've asked to see peoples' green cards before; they are supposed to carry them with them.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 AM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post

This is all too common.
One can't assume that just because someone (even an entire crew) is speaking in Spanish that they are here illegally. My experience has been that when Latinos are together their language of choice more often than not is Spanish even if they know English. Why, I don't know. I see it everywhere. Personally, I find it a non-assimilation factor even though some may disagree with me. I would of course make sure that the contractor can prove that all of the workers are here legally. Then there is that fake document thing so who knows. I would make sure before even hiring a contractor that they are reputable.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd call the contractor.

Whenever I've contracted work to be done on my house I make it clear up-front that I will not accept a crew on my property that speaks only Spanish. I also emphasize that everyone needs to have papers. I've asked to see peoples' green cards before; they are supposed to carry them with them.
Why should someone need to show you they are a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident? It is possible to have work authorization without that status. I just see this as another gauntlet that somebody thinks they can put Hispanics through.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Hispanics always the victims. Always persecuted. This "claim" gets old after awhile.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why should someone need to show you they are a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident? It is possible to have work authorization without that status. I just see this as another gauntlet that somebody thinks they can put Hispanics through.
And they're welcome to provide proof of permission to work in this country, green card or EAD.

It's my house and I get to make the rules. If you don't like it, go work on someone else's house.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
I do this too. I would ask my dad for his contractor he has used because this guy only uses Americans (mostly college students actually). If you can't speak English and only speak Spanish, nope not going to hire you.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Gee, profile much?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Gee, profile much?
No;I'd do the same thing to a Chinese-speaking crew or a German-speaking crew, but you don't see many of those around here. Just Spanish-speaking ones.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I would do exactly what I did 13 years ago when I built my house. I would ask the contractor if his employees had their green cards. Mine said yeah they all do. I said good prove it. He said he didn't need to to. I said no proof then get off my property before I call the police.
I had another mason on the job within a few days. It cost me $400.00 more dollars and I don't regret it one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration