Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd call the contractor.

Whenever I've contracted work to be done on my house I make it clear up-front that I will not accept a crew on my property that speaks only Spanish. I also emphasize that everyone needs to have papers. I've asked to see peoples' green cards before; they are supposed to carry them with them.
Not supposed to carry... Required to carry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,836,094 times
Quote:
And they're welcome to provide proof of permission to work in this country, green card or EAD.

It's my house and I get to make the rules. If you don't like it, go work on someone else's house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I do this too. I would ask my dad for his contractor he has used because this guy only uses Americans (mostly college students actually). If you can't speak English and only speak Spanish, nope not going to hire you.
Quote:
No;I'd do the same thing to a Chinese-speaking crew or a German-speaking crew, but you don't see many of those around here. Just Spanish-speaking ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would do exactly what I did 13 years ago when I built my house. I would ask the contractor if his employees had their green cards. Mine said yeah they all do. I said good prove it. He said he didn't need to to. I said no proof then get off my property before I call the police.
I had another mason on the job within a few days. It cost me $400.00 more dollars and I don't regret it one bit.
Question for those that have responded by their quotes above: You ask for the "Green Card" of a "Spanish-speaker" (that seems to be the primary thing people are identifying above), he shakes his head (maybe in disbelief), and walks away. What are you able to determine from what transpired?

Quote:
Not supposed to carry... Required to carry...
18 or older, required to carry. Possible misdemeanor offense if caught. And let's understand that this whole topic is on the premise of somehow burdening the 18% of Hispanics that are illegal aliens (nevermind any other ethnicity), without a care of how nutty the other 82% will think it is.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
For one when you know the whole crew is just one ethnicity, you know there is some very blatant discrimination and racism going on. Really how can all the employees be only hispanic and not one American white or American black, and no one can speak English?

What's really dumb is to allow them on your property and risk them getting hurt because if they're illegals, most likely they aren't covered by insurance and they'll sue the hell out of you.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Question for those that have responded by their quotes above: You ask for the "Green Card" of a "Spanish-speaker" (that seems to be the primary thing people are identifying above), he shakes his head (maybe in disbelief), and walks away. What are you able to determine from what transpired?
Like I said before, I'd do the same thing to any crew that arrived on my property unable to speak English, or speaking any foreign language to each other.

However, you have to be realistic and face facts. This is Texas...a border state. The overwhelming majority of illegal aliens here are from Mexico or Central American nations. FACT. 99 times out of 100 when a homeowner encounters an illegal alien sent by a contractor to work on their property, that illegal alien is going to be a Spanish-speaker.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM

62,758 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Like I said before, I'd do the same thing to any crew that arrived on my property unable to speak English, or speaking any foreign language to each other.

However, you have to be realistic and face facts. This is Texas...a border state. The overwhelming majority of illegal aliens here are from Mexico or Central American nations. FACT. 99 times out of 100 when a homeowner encounters an illegal alien sent by a contractor to work on their property, that illegal alien is going to be a Spanish-speaker.
You have to understand the victim mentality card that gets played by those with ties to the Mexican/Hispanic community. They scream "racial profiling" all the time because the bottom line is that they want to protect that ethnic group here illegally from detection or have become so immersed into that ethnic/cultural community that all they see is discrimination and victimhood for them rather than the bottom line. They'll never admit it though and instead they will insinuate that you are a racist for pointing out the truth to shut you up.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You have to understand the victim mentality card that gets played by those with ties to the Mexican/Hispanic community. They scream "racial profiling" all the time because the bottom line is that they want to protect that ethnic group here illegally from detection or have become so immersed into that ethnic/cultural community that all they see is discrimination and victimhood for them rather than the bottom line. They'll never admit it though and instead they will insinuate that you are a racist for pointing out the truth to shut you up.
I know I'm not a racist, which is why I'm not shutting up.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 PM

23,845 posts, read 14,968,500 times
In Texas if anybody working on your property gets hurt, they can go after the property owners insurance company. Justask to see the insurance certificate.

I know that the stimulus money said all workers employed by stimulus funds had to be citizens. If the USA government wants to see the green card, so do I. It is not profiling to vet your employees.

Better be careful though. I needed a 4500 sf house painted, in and out, remove wallpaper, texture,etc. I wanted citizens, so I called the union hall. I paid substantially more than the other bids for the company I hired. Found out that the owner only hired substance abusers who had lost their driver's licenses. He picked them all up for work every morning, and paid them a pittance. I made sure they all knew what I was paying for the job.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I know I'm not a racist, which is why I'm not shutting up.
Maybe everytime someone insinuates that I am a racist I should post a link (and I have them) that proves that most illegals here are Mexicans/Latinos and that many if not most of same ethnic group who are citizens of this country think they should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them. However, It would just be repetitious of those "facts" being posted many times before so what is the point? Would those "facts" being posted still be considered racist? I think we all know the answer to that one so we can't win. Even though we state that we still want all illegals gone the labels would be still be flying.

I have even stated under this topic that just because an entire work crew is speaking in Spanish it does not make them illegals because the language of choice even for many if not most Hispanics is still Spanish even when they know English but I guess that fell on deaf ears.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-08-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

18 or older, required to carry. Possible misdemeanor offense if caught. And let's understand that this whole topic is on the premise of somehow burdening the 18% of Hispanics that are illegal aliens (nevermind any other ethnicity), without a care of how nutty the other 82% will think it is.
IBM if they spoke Russian I would want to see that green card. My land my rules. However the fact is that most illegals who have displaced those in construction at least in my area are hispanic. I won't apologize for putting americans first. If they had green cards the contractor could have done the work. The fact he was unable to produce such documents clears my position as far as I am concerned. When The electrician worked on my house I required him to to be licensed. Was I wrong for this also?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
IBM if they spoke Russian I would want to see that green card. My land my rules. However the fact is that most illegals who have displaced those in construction at least in my area are hispanic. I won't apologize for putting americans first. If they had green cards the contractor could have done the work. The fact he was unable to produce such documents clears my position as far as I am concerned. When The electrician worked on my house I required him to to be licensed. Was I wrong for this also?
Agreed, and when was the last time that an entire crew of Russians showed up on a construction site? As I said, an entire crew of Hispanics showing up and all speaking in Spanish does not necessarily indicate that they are illegals and I explained the reason why in another post. However, it a good idea to check out a contractor's credentials and reputation before he even brings a construction crew to your house. It is not out of line to ask an electrician, plumber to show you their license before working on your house and a lot fewer problems will occur with the workmanship also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration