U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Who really knows. The woman may have worked her but off and taken her pay under the table in cash. It seems she had enough money to buy a car and pay for fuel and repairs....I think what bothers me is - that she got accustomed to lawlessness.
and if she took money under the table, which she may have done, who is to say she didn't also get government assistance without even paying taxes on the money she made? No matter what she was doing, most likely it wasn't enough to cover medical care for herself and her 3 kids..

Old 08-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
So what about the Eastern European Poles that are probably mostly illegal in my Chicagoland locale? Because they have PALE WHITE SKIN they are not "third-world," right?

Disgusting.

We have the government handing work visas to people from all over the globe. This is obviously some sort of conspiracy on every level to drive down wages, have people fighting amongst themselves while the banksters and the fat cat pols take advantage of our distraction, etc.
Are you talking about people living here now, regardless of skin color that are illegal? If so, of course they should return to their native lands. If you are talking about those, who came over years ago, we can't do a darn thing now, plus most did not live off welfare or accept any assistance. I am pretty sure, there are few : I know a little about Poland and I can pretty much assure you, most Pols, living in America are not here illegally nor are they living off the country and if you are talking about those who arrived 75 or more years ago, it would have been to escape their wonderful native land because of fear.

Again, if you are talking about those here now, illegally, sure they should be returned to their country, I don't care of that country is Canada, Mexico, someplace in Europe or anywhere else.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The first Caucasians to settle in the Americas were "illegals," too. I hope people who are so quick to judge remember that. If people were allowed to move more freely from country to country without so much red tape, maybe we wouldn't have a "problem" with "illegals" in the first place.

The whole immigration issue smacks of xenophobia and racism.
OMG, you can't be serious!! There is a huge difference, between discovering a country and living here illegally. They were not here illegally, there was no country, so how are you getting this idea?

No, it isn't racism in anyway. Racism would be, if you wanted to send everyone, from, say Mexico back or everyone from Asia, from anywhere for that matter.

Making it easier to immigrant here, have you even checked what it is like to try and move to other countries? Obviously you have not. Most countries limit the number of people who can relocate, and they are much stricter than America. You also may not remember what was required to move to America and still is pretty much. Good health, the ability to get a job, have a sponsor and have funds to survive on while you are getting settled. Do you know anything about the history of Ellis Island?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Immigration needs to be made easier so that people who are qualified will be able to come. That way if she had been eligible in the first place she could easily have come legally and not had to sneak in.
If anything we should raise our standards and eliminate family-based visas. We're already granting visas to tens of thousands of unskilled people every single year. It's time to stop that...NOW.

I doubt she would have ever qualified for any type of visa other than a family-based visa. She's not needed here and should never have come in the first place, and now her kids are the ones suffering for her illegal behavior.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
My heart DOES NOT go out to 3rd world immigrants....legal or illegal, STAY HOME!
Disagree. If someone is here legally, then I am happy to have them here. I don't care if they come from Mexico, Nigeria, Laos, or anyplace else on the planet.

But given the negative effect that illegal immigration has on employment and wage levels for the working class in this country, I cannot imagine how these sloppy thinkers want to grant her amnesty.

What's more, how long she has lived here has no bearing on matters. I mean, if I robbed a bank and managed to live off the proceeds for five years before getting caught, should that affect matters at all?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM

268 posts, read 280,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since your link didn't work and part of your post is in Spanish, I'll outline the story. She has been here illegally for fourteen years. She has three children who were born here. She was arrested for driving without a license and now she is being deported.

Groups are fighting to help her and I think there will be some loophole that allows her to stay, but I don't think people should come illegally and be allowed to stay.

She sneaked in, somehow supported herself without ever getting a green card (because she was illegal and couldn't), had three kids, drove a car without a license and now she thinks she should be allowed to stay. No one wants to tear families apart, but she should have come here the legal way and now she may have to go back to Mexico and take her kids with her.

Immigration needs to be made easier so that people who are qualified will be able to come. That way if she had been eligible in the first place she could easily have come legally and not had to sneak in.
Make it easier for her? Why should we do that? Why is her situation so much more difficult than anyone else who has come her the legal way? The easier we make it, the more people will walk over our laws with more excuses as to why they don't need to abide by them. The old don't separate me from my children routine is getting old. Should've thought about that before she came here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or