Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
YES, I think wages for AMERICANS should be higher! Bull hockey to your other comment. Read about Costco and how they pay a living wage to their employees and have had record profits.
Higher wages hurt the small business even more then large corporations. So, basically you don't care if shut down 1000's of small business and causing many people to go on welfare as long as people get higher wages.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM

79 posts, read 100,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For those of us who know families that immigrated, whether friends or relatives we understand what they went through. They did come her for a better life, but not a life of living off the government or working here and sending all their money back to their country. They came here, via a sponsor, learned English as soon as they could, got jobs and couldn't wait to become citizens. I remember, shortly after WW2, a young boy came to our class, I think we were 4th grade about. With his mom, dad and sister he came from Italy. He spoke no English, nor did his parents but they opened a small Italian restaurant in our town. The sister was in her teens and spoke enough English to be able to communicate with customers. By the end of a year, the restaurant was doing well, no, I doubt they became millionaires but it was keeping food on the table ( no pun intended) Hugo, spoke English with no accent by the end of that year as well. He eventually graduated from high school and joined the Army. I don't know what happened to them, but I know they were proud to be Americans. My step moms parents came here from Poland. They too couldn't wait to become citizens and to learn the English language.

raina starling: we are talking about illegals here, and you think they should be paid a living wage when they won't even speak our language? Read the Canada thread and see how many people come from Canada, cross over into America to do their shopping, because our products are so much cheaper with lower taxes. And you don't think salary has anything to do with what merchandise costs?
That is why I highlighted AMERICANS getting higher wages. Yes, I do and you know what? I don't care if stuff costs more. The overall benefit of those on the lower end making more money is obvious. Don't you get that taxpayers subsidize the working poor? So you pay one way or the other. And Mall-Wart and other greedy bastards take all the profits! They don't pay their workers enough and those workers have to get EBT cards and other benefits. B*llsh*t!

Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 9,472 times
The problem is anchor babies, that's why they will crawl across the border to have them here. Surely we will not deport them and put their children in foster care so that's why they make sure a baby is born here who automatically is a citizen. I am Hispanic, and yes, you can still get a green card even if you come here illegally, but why should they? They can work under a stolen identity, not have pay taxes, and yes, Luis Gutierrez, they do NOT pay taxes! They have learned that if they claim 14 dependents they do not have to pay taxes and when the government catches up with them then they just change their name, and guess what? Their employers let them! I've seen it first hand and it's not Walmart, it's the restaurants, all of them.
Walmart requires a background check and drug test, I know this because my husband is a manger there. So please only speak of what you know. My father speaks perfect English, still has an accent but is always grammatically correct. He is a US Citizen, he drives legally or at least he did before he went blind. So tired of the victim mentality.
But we can't blame them because if low life companies wouldn't hire them, guess what, they wouldn't come here.
As far as welfare is concerned, yes, they are getting welfare too. That's another job of the anchor baby.
I have a friend from St. Vincent who is legally married to an American and the attorney handling her paperwork didn't submit it on time. They were considering deportation even though she was a full time student, didn't receive government handouts, and had been living here 5 years legally. Her family cannot visit because it is up to the agents in St. Vincent to decide whether or not they can come to the US. They looked at her mother and said she looks like trouble, like she won't come back and wouldn't give her permission to visit the US. That's just sick. Meanwhile, it's a free for all in the US. We tell everyone it's ok to come over illegally from Mexico but everyone else, you have to do it the right way. Doesn't make sense.
So please tell the whole story. Obviously those of you who think it is ok have never had someone work, buy a car, or buy a house in your name. Look it up, they steal your identity, they have all the rights, not you.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
That is why I highlighted AMERICANS getting higher wages. Yes, I do and you know what? I don't care if stuff costs more. The overall benefit of those on the lower end making more money is obvious. Don't you get that taxpayers subsidize the working poor? So you pay one way or the other. And Mall-Wart and other greedy bastards take all the profits! They don't pay their workers enough and those workers have to get EBT cards and other benefits. B*llsh*t!
sorry, but your ideas are very idealistic when we need to be realistic. You start with raising the wages for entre level jobs, then you have to raise them for middle income and low management, up the line. The next thing you know that $12.00 you just gave to the part time employee wont but him a hamburger.

Now as for WalMart, which is how it now spelled, you might not realize, they hire employees that are not even hirable in most companies. Yes, the wages are minimum (but not min wage most of the time) yes the are often part time, but they still give jobs to those who would not be working at all if it weren't for them. Plus what you do not understand, most of the people who work for the Walmarts, the Micky D's etc do not intend to make this their main income.

More than what you and I are debating, I am still at a loss as to why you think illegals should be hired and paid a decent wage?

Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, but your ideas are very idealistic when we need to be realistic. You start with raising the wages for entre level jobs, then you have to raise them for middle income and low management, up the line. The next thing you know that $12.00 you just gave to the part time employee wont but him a hamburger.

Now as for WalMart, which is how it now spelled, you might not realize, they hire employees that are not even hirable in most companies. Yes, the wages are minimum (but not min wage most of the time) yes the are often part time, but they still give jobs to those who would not be working at all if it weren't for them. Plus what you do not understand, most of the people who work for the Walmarts, the Micky D's etc do not intend to make this their main income.

More than what you and I are debating, I am still at a loss as to why you think illegals should be hired and paid a decent wage?
I am starting to wonder if English is your first language or if you just didn't feel like actually reading all my posts. Like the one where I said I am against illegal immigration.

I am against illegal immigration. For those here, I am for living wages (NOT illegals; legal workers). I am suspecting that you are a greedy, lazy contractor who exploits people. You are full of it if you think that Mall-Wart is full of employees working for hat money. I bet most of the women there are single mothers. You're just justifying pisspoor wages. Here is a story of a fast food place paying their workers $12.50 an hour: Fast food joint pays workers $12 an hour, and lives to tell the tale

Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Um...we are talking about undocumented Mexicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That is NOT TRUE of all Mexican Illegals and some who are legal. Some are married to legal Mexican women or American women of Mexican ancestry and they do not and have never held a steady job to help financially.

Generalizations across the board cannot be used for any group or topic for anything because humans are so different and not everyone fits into that generalized mold.
So the person with Mexican nationality but born here or third generation is an American first and foremost. And like most Americans, there is a certain....don't want to say laziness, but usually a lack of the type of hustle by undocumented Mexicans. But doesn't that just make sense? In Mexico, it's basically sink or swim so people get used to working long and hard. I don't aspire to that! However, I am not going to write some bullsheet about illegals and act like they are all lazy and on handouts. Obviously you cannot broadbrush but the person saying they're all on handouts, etc. was doing the same and yet you chose to focus on my comments. Interesting...

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The deportation will likely be to MD. She will be welcomed and her driver's license will be issued almost immediately. If she moves to Takoma Park, just outside DC, she will be able to vote in local elections.

Isn't America grand?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Default If people don't believe this is being done by design

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The deportation will likely be to MD. She will be welcomed and her driver's license will be issued almost immediately. If she moves to Takoma Park, just outside DC, she will be able to vote in local elections.

Isn't America grand?
I don't know what to think.

Just That is all...

Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I am starting to wonder if English is your first language or if you just didn't feel like actually reading all my posts. Like the one where I said I am against illegal immigration.

I am against illegal immigration. For those here, I am for living wages (NOT illegals; legal workers). I am suspecting that you are a greedy, lazy contractor who exploits people. You are full of it if you think that Mall-Wart is full of employees working for hat money. I bet most of the women there are single mothers. You're just justifying pisspoor wages. Here is a story of a fast food place paying their workers $12.50 an hour: Fast food joint pays workers $12 an hour, and lives to tell the tale
Of course I am I am a lazy contractor who exploits people, that is why, my husband has a small business so we can make ends meet on our SS checks and some investments. That is why I worked, even at my age, until a few months ago and that is why we have learned to cut back where we can, so we don't have to depend on help from the government or anyone else. I happen to know 3 people who have been hired by WalMart that were not hirable by many other companies. They were thrilled to be able to work, even part time. Many of the people who work for places like Walmart do not work full time, just like those who work in the fast food industry. They are people seeking second incomes, those who want to suplement their SS or want extra spending money. Those who do work full time are, generally uneducated or, as I have mentioned, for whatever reason not able to find employment any other place. Would you rather see them on welfare?

As for anything we see on MSNBC, most of us take it with a grain of salt. Even the most liberal, if they have a brain, admit MSNBC is very slanted. The only fast food place I can think of that would pay their employees anywhere near $12 an hour is In&Out. The example MSNBC gives is one single fast food restaurant and there is no mention of what the price of say, a hamburger is. There are a lot of fast food restaurants that are not priced like Micky Ds and Burger King.

Oh, and btw, you do realize, calling someone that contributes to CD a lazy, greedy contractor is consider a personal attack don't you?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since your link didn't work and part of your post is in Spanish, I'll outline the story. She has been here illegally for fourteen years. She has three children who were born here. She was arrested for driving without a license and now she is being deported.

Groups are fighting to help her and I think there will be some loophole that allows her to stay, but I don't think people should come illegally and be allowed to stay.

She sneaked in, somehow supported herself without ever getting a green card (because she was illegal and couldn't), had three kids, drove a car without a license and now she thinks she should be allowed to stay. No one wants to tear families apart, but she should have come here the legal way and now she may have to go back to Mexico and take her kids with her.

Immigration needs to be made easier so that people who are qualified will be able to come. That way if she had been eligible in the first place she could easily have come legally and not had to sneak in.
Thank you for clarification of the story. I agree with every word you have said here......it just doesn't make sense to me how they should feel they are "entitled" to break the law......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration