Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,527 times

Advertisements

Personally, yes I do know some illegal immigrants and yes I do know for a fact that they are illegal, personally I don't have any problems w/those who are here trying to make a better life for themselves and for their families, however I have a very big beef w/those who are here illegaly, working here in these United States to send monies back to make a better life for themselves and their families back at home, GET REAL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also don't appreciate those who are here illegally, using fraudulent social security numbers and the fact that our Government don't know about which is just ridiculous and yes I do know someone that is doing that, but because the children are american citizens, I can't bring myself to do anything about it for the sake of the children, I refuse to have any child pay for the faults of their parents, but it kind of soars me to think by using a fraudulent social and papers they recieve benefits that many american citizens don't w/real social security numbers. All in all, I am divided as far as where I stand with the illegal issue, because there are so many people out there who deserve to be here but the few bad apples makes it seem to bad for the whole bushel, unless they can come up with some way to weed them out, as far as those complaints about illegal immigrants taking our jobs, come on now, alot of american citizens out there would not think twice about doing the jobs that are given to these illegal immigrants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
People on this board seem to enjoy talking trash about those terrible illegal aliens but I wonder how many of you actually know one personally. I am not talking about someone you see walking down the street looking for day labor, who you assume is illegal, but someone you know personally. You have to know for sure they are illegal.

Tell us about the illegal aliens you know personally. What are their stories and what are they like? Do you feel differently about the topic of illegal immigration because you know an illegal alien personally?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
I've ran around some both legal and illegal immigrants in my travels, here are the stories of some.

They are not just illegal immigrants who broke into America, but other countries as well

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...t-stories.html

Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM

1,511 posts, read 977,740 times
i know quite a few. they seem to be just the same as you or me. im sure some are receiving benefits or not following laws concerning car insurance or whatever, but its not like i cant say the same for many of my citizen friends!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default Yes, but I still think believe in enforcement of the laws

Back in the late 1980's when they had the last amnesty, I knew a few illegals, and they were nice people. I even signed papers for one of them to get residency under that amnesty - He was a good guy.

And, I now casually know a few, and, they also seem to be nice guys - though they seem to have a way about them that makes me wonder about how they really feel about (U.S.) Americans.

Though they are polite and appear to be hard working, every once in a while I find them giving each other a look, when they think that I'm not paying attention - you know, one of those "rolling their eyes in their heads" looks. But, it's no big deal, I have no dealings or responsibilities towards them, other than saying hello, and having some small talk with them...

What makes me against amnesty this time is the fact that we did it once already - why do we have to do it again, especially with so many others seeking entry through the legal way (which is time consuming and costly)...What about them?

We made the last amnesty too simple, and I can argue that, as I helped someone with their paperwork - It was too simple...

And, that was a mistake...There should have been more requirements.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
I believe I have a few family members (aunts or uncles, probably some cousins as well) that are illegal. And I probably know way more, I just don't know they are illegal. Nothing wrong, never have gotten any "diseases" or none of that. I also know a few illegal chinese immigrants who were shipped here. Most of my family is legal though-- at least from my dads side.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Most of the ones I know will readily admit they are illegal, they will even tell you 'when they came from Mexico' - most of them are from Mexico but you find some from El Salvador and Guatemala.

Yep I speak enough Spanish to know when I am being dissed 'behind my back'.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Were I to list all, City-data.com would ban this for "flooding." So here's today's profile. Legal couple next door from Mexico with nice kids born here started to import all the couple's illegal siblings to crowd into their house. The police eventually questioned me about them (which is how I know they were illegal), since one started a car theft ring once he was here, coinciding with a spate of stolen cars and dumped cars on our immediate block. The legal residents used to be pleasant people to all, I even made a point of telling his visiting boss what nice neighbors they were, and we all regularly let our dogs and their kids play together in our back yard.

But... now, since their illegal sibs moved in, they have shot at our nice dogs through fence, tried to wreck the fence, thrown trash over the fence, and come over on to our property to vandalize it (cutting down trees that were 12 feet onto our property, of course without permission) The adults are suddenly loud and obnoxious about amplified music, wholly unrelated to the kids' normal noise. They regularly parked nine cars and commercial trucks out on the street, disallowing all surrounding neighbors of even space for their trash collection. It's as if the illegals in the household told the legal residents not to bother being nice to Americans any more, and they bought it. Gee, what a great cultural addition to the U.S.A.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Over the years I have known a number of illegals (virtually all Mexicans--one Belizean) who, once they know me personally, seem to have no trouble admitting their status...doesn't seem any more earth-shaking that one friend admitting to another that he "added a bedroom without getting a building permit".

I've helped a few of these people personally to navigate "the system"--though most were disappointed to learn that the actual American private citizen can do very little to make things simpler. But I've helped translate, made a few phone calls, given a little moral support, etc.

Some of these people have gone on to become citizens. One guy I know does NOT want to be, thinking this will make him ineligible to own his property in Mexico (don't know if this is still true or not).

I have a number of in-laws of in-laws who came illegally here, decades ago, but none recently....

Illegal immigration has only become a "hot topic" in the past 2 decades or so. Prior to that, it was considered a "victimless crime" and nobody around here (border region) seriously objected to it....and the average American in the East, I don't believe even THOUGHT of it one way or another. That's all changed now, and illegals are getting lots of attention--some of it well-founded and reasonable, and some of it just plain silly. It's a whole different situation now than it once was...

Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Were I to list all, City-data.com would ban this for "flooding." So here's today's profile. Legal couple next door from Mexico with nice kids born here started to import all the couple's illegal siblings. The police eventually questioned me about them (which is how I know they were illegal), since one started a car theft ring once he was here, coinciding with a spate of stolen cars and dumped cars on our immediate block. The legal residents used to be pleasant people to all, I even made a point of telling his visiting boss what nice neighbors they were, and we all regularly let our dogs and their kids play together in our back yard.

But... now, since their illegal sibs moved in, they have shot at our nice dogs through fence, tried to wreck the fence, thrown trash over the fence, and come over on to our property to vandalize it (cutting down trees that were 12 feet onto our property, of course without permission) They regularly parked nine cars and commercial trucks out on the street, disallowing all surrounding neighbors of even space for their trash collection. It's as if the illegals in the household told the legal residents not to bother being nice to Americans any more, and they bought it. Gee, what a great cultural addition to the U.S.A.
Yep all too familiar...and that's just one house, try having several on one block.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Were I to list all, City-data.com would ban this for "flooding." So here's today's profile. Legal couple next door from Mexico with nice kids born here started to import all the couple's illegal siblings. The police eventually questioned me about them (which is how I know they were illegal), since one started a car theft ring once he was here, coinciding with a spate of stolen cars and dumped cars on our immediate block. The legal residents used to be pleasant people to all, I even made a point of telling his visiting boss what nice neighbors they were, and we all regularly let our dogs and their kids play together in our back yard.

But... now, since their illegal sibs moved in, they have shot at our nice dogs through fence, tried to wreck the fence, thrown trash over the fence, and come over on to our property to vandalize it (cutting down trees that were 12 feet onto our property, of course without permission) They regularly parked nine cars and commercial trucks out on the street, disallowing all surrounding neighbors of even space for their trash collection. It's as if the illegals in the household told the legal residents not to bother being nice to Americans any more, and they bought it. Gee, what a great cultural addition to the U.S.A.
Just curious, do you live in L.A.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration