U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
 
31,461 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Reputation: 8346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It isn't an welfare, sic, food stamp problem when you control immigration and not allow those who will only be a burden to enter. It becomes said problem when you have low or no standards.
I would not be opposed to using a system like Thailand. Want to immigrate here you better be able to show a sustained income and have a good chunk of money in an american bank. Check in's every 3 months with huge fines and deportation if you don't.
And illegals coming here lowballing wages for Americans isn't a problem I guess to him? And making them legal which would allow them to retain or compete for jobs and resources against Americans is no big deal? And allowing unrestricted immigration would mean letting in the 2 billion impoverished across the world to come here would have no negative impact on our country nor its citizens either?

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-19-2013 at 03:46 PM..

 
Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Tell me why you oppose unrestricted immigration... and then I can tell you why you are wrong.
NO country allows unrestricted immigration because those people will overrun it.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,705 posts, read 4,278,721 times
Reputation: 1855
Because if we allow this, we will have MUCH more people than we can handle right now.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,705 posts, read 4,278,721 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
NO country allows unrestricted immigration because those people will overrun it.
Exactly!

FTR, though, Israel does allow unrestricted immigration of Jews and people of up to 1/4 Jewish descent.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: WY
4,908 posts, read 3,485,331 times
Reputation: 5379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Tell me why you oppose unrestricted immigration... and then I can tell you why you are wrong.
1. You have no idea whether or not they have a criminal background, including violent crime

2. You have no idea what diseases they have been exposed to, what innoculations they have or have not received, and what type of health issues they may bring into the country with them

3. You have no idea how their education system compares to that of the United States. If it is not comparable it would place an unfair time and financial burden on an education system that is already overburdened

4. Not only "good guys" would come into the country. A country without controls on who enters into that country is not serious about fighting the War on Terror (or Manmade Disasters as the case may be)

5. Those who cannot demonstrate that they have work skills that are needed in this country (and the ability to financially fend for themselves and their families), can be assumed to be future welfare recipients

6. This country currently has 320 million people (as well as 11 million or 12 million or 20 million depending on who you ask) illegals currently "hiding in the shadows". We do not have enough jobs for everyone already here who wants a job. Our government spends inordinate amounts of our money already feeding, housing, clothing, babysitting millions of our current residents and citizens. Large cities charge outrageous money every month in rent because of a shortage of affordable apartments. Millions cannot afford to buy a home because wages are stagnant (if they can find a job). College grads are living in their parents basements. How many more millions does anyone think we should bring into the country? 10 million? 110 million? Do we have enough jobs? Enough homes? Enough school chairs? Enough doctors?

7. What system that we currently have in place is doing so well financially that it could effectively and efficiently accomodate unrestricted millions of new people who may or may not speak the language? Who may or may not know how to read, may or may not have law abiding intentions, may or may not carry infectious disease, may or may not hate this country and everything it stands for?

So many reasons, so little time.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Exactly!

FTR, though, Israel does allow unrestricted immigration of Jews and people of up to 1/4 Jewish descent.
I'm guessing Israel can get by with that because there are few Jews in the world and many of them live in the US where life here's pretty good for them.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM
 
38 posts, read 22,866 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wow, it is a "human right" to enter any country at will? Where is this "human right document" that allows this? Who authorized it? I have never seen it. All countries have borders and immigration laws. There is no human right to violate their borders or immigration laws.
One only has the "human right" to leave or exit their own nation, they do not have the "human right" to enter another nation without its authorization.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
 
38 posts, read 22,866 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
1) All of your families were immigrants at one time.
You can say that about every nation on this planet.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,705 posts, read 4,278,721 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus Black View Post
You can say that about every nation on this planet.
Except maybe about some African nation(s).
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Exactly!

FTR, though, Israel does allow unrestricted immigration of Jews and people of up to 1/4 Jewish descent.
At what point does the ability to migrate supersede what the relevant government authority wants?: Aliyah Bet

It's a fabulous contrast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top