Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,778,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Isn't it funny that these words were written before all the entitlements: welfare, AFDC benefits, food stamps, section eight housing, WIC programs, fuel assistance, free schooling, free healthcare.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,457,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Isn't it funny that these words were written before all the entitlements: welfare, AFDC benefits, food stamps, section eight housing, WIC programs, fuel assistance, free schooling, free healthcare.
All of those programs have nothing to do with immigration. Your point?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Tell me why you oppose unrestricted immigration... and then I can tell you why you are wrong.
Sure just as soon as you can tell me why it would be wrong for say me and all my friends to come stay in your home when ever we want , for as long as we like and you can feed us too. That is what you are asking this nation to do.
Immigration should always reflect the needs of the nation. We produce a bumper crop of uneducated low wage earners. We have no need for more.
The Government has more than a 16 trillion dollar debt. We can't afford to support what we have now.
Education is already under funded, adding to the burden will only make matters worse.
Finally this country doesn't need unrestricted immigration, we need a more restricted but streamlined system.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
All of those programs have nothing to do with immigration. Your point?
I disagree. If unrestricted immigration became a reality we would need to school their children. Provide health care when they became ill, if they have children here we would then based on income be forced to provide welfare, WIC and food stamps.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,457,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I disagree. If unrestricted immigration became a reality we would need to school their children. Provide health care when they became ill, if they have children here we would then based on income be forced to provide welfare, WIC and food stamps.
I see a welfare, wic and food stamp problem, not an immigration problem.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM

62,716 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
So in other words our government was wrong to implement immigration laws based on some poem on a statue from long ago? Really? The golden door is the front door not the back door, under a fence or swimming a river. You can't be serious that in this day and age that we should have unlimited immigration with 23 million Americans out of work, dwindling resources and our population over 315 million now.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-19-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Yet it was ok for centuries when they were Europeans...
I guess you aren't aware that there is very little immigration from Europe today and has been that way for some time now. I have posted a link in here many times indicating who holds the largest quotas for legal immigration today and that is Mexico and other Latino countries by far. You were sayin?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I see a welfare, wic and food stamp problem, not an immigration problem.
It isn't an welfare, sic, food stamp problem when you control immigration and not allow those who will only be a burden to enter. It becomes said problem when you have low or no standards.
I would not be opposed to using a system like Thailand. Want to immigrate here you better be able to show a sustained income and have a good chunk of money in an american bank. Check in's every 3 months with huge fines and deportation if you don't.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Wow, it is a "human right" to enter any country at will? Where is this "human right document" that allows this? Who authorized it? I have never seen it. All countries have borders and immigration laws. There is no human right to violate their borders or immigration laws.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,872,167 times
In many countries they only allowing immigration to those who are educated, will not be a drain on the system and speak the language (or will speak the language). Why the USA isn't like this is a problem. I don't want unlimited immigration because it means paying more in taxes (most illegals use one or more welfare programs)or more competition for jobs but legal (professional)job and illegal (unskilled)jobs. It also means catering to other people, whether it's requiring bilingual workers or allowing visa workers to push their religious or political agenda here.

If we outlawed illegals getting welfare for them and their children the numbers would decrease. Same thing if it was harder for them to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.