U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 PM
 
2,667 posts, read 2,735,910 times
Reputation: 7700

Advertisements

It will probably pass because the Dems are in charge, but you sure can't call it "Reform" , it's just the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It will probably pass because the Dems are in charge, but you sure can't call it "Reform" , it's just the opposite.
The Democrats only hold a majority in the Senate. The House is controlled by the Republicans. You're right it isn't reform it is amnesty plain and simple. I seriously doubt that anything that closely resembles amnesty will get through the House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why does e-verify have to be accompanied by a legal status for illegals here now? Sounds like blackmail to me. Oh, I know all about the Democrat agenda. Most want a path to citizenship for illegals because they would most likely vote Democrat after becoming citizens. Why would enforcing our immigration laws alienate Hispanics? Aren't they obligated to respect our immigration laws just like everyone else? I haven't heard about any Asian voters thumbing their noses at our immigration laws and making demands for their ethnic group here illegally. I suppose there are some but you never hear about them and probably because most don't expect that. What makes Hispanics think their ethnic group should get a pass on our immigration laws and rewarded with citizenship or legality for breaking them. Are they special?

There are members of both parties who have their corporate masters in the backs of their pockets not just the Republicans.
Don't ask me why, just telling you how it is. As far as Asian voters, the majority of them just like Hispanics have either friend or family that are in the country illegally, and want to see them given a chance to earn legal status. Immigration is just as much a personal issue with Asians as with Hispanics.
I believe the biggest current surge in the illegal population are those from India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Democrats only hold a majority in the Senate. The House is controlled by the Republicans. You're right it isn't reform it is amnesty plain and simple. I seriously doubt that anything that closely resembles amnesty will get through the House.
If the House put the Senate bill on the floor for a vote of course it would pass. It only needs 218 votes. Take the 23 Repubs from my previous post with 195 of the 201 Dems it passes. That is why Boehner is not putting it up for a vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
If the House put the Senate bill on the floor for a vote of course it would pass. It only needs 218 votes. Take the 23 Repubs from my previous post with 195 of the 201 Dems it passes. That is why Boehner is not putting it up for a vote.
The Senate bill however is not going to be put up for a vote in the House. Good for Boehner! I still seriously doubt that the Senate bill in its present form would pass anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Don't ask me why, just telling you how it is. As far as Asian voters, the majority of them just like Hispanics have either friend or family that are in the country illegally, and want to see them given a chance to earn legal status. Immigration is just as much a personal issue with Asians as with Hispanics.
I believe the biggest current surge in the illegal population are those from India.
If the Asian community is demanding amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally why aren't they more vocal about it then? I haven't heard about them blackmailing our politicians for votes so they will cave into their ethnocentric demands. So our immigration laws should be thumbed at because of personal issues? Is that what this country has come down to? "It's all about me"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If the Asian community is demanding amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally why aren't they more vocal about it then? I haven't heard about them blackmailing our politicians for votes so they will cave into their ethnocentric demands. So our immigration laws should be thumbed at because of personal issues? Is that what this country has come down to? "It's all about me"?
Asians are very docile in public. They voice their opinions at the polls. Immigration played a significant factor in 70 percent of Asians voting for Barack Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Those thinking that all those millions of illegal aliens (including those with "anchor babies") will all be deported are deluding themselves.
It ain't EVER gonna happen.
Those folks are here for good & aren't going anywhere.
That's just the way it is - and whether it's right or wrong isn't going to change that.
The GOP will either cave on the issue (which it's pretty much already starting to do) - or it will be buried under a demographic tidal wave.

Ken
Let's see: cut off birthright, E verify for everybody, deport any illegal alien found, and so on. Most will get the word and leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,946 posts, read 21,933,320 times
Reputation: 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Let's see: cut off birthright, E verify for everybody, deport any illegal alien found, and so on. Most will get teh word and leave.
Except those things WON'T HAPPEN.


What makes you think ANY of those things will happen - let alone ALL of them?

Your expectations are about as realistic as someone who says "we can get rid of all crime by: jailing everyone who commits a crime, most who want to commit a crime will get the word and not do it" - it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Except those things WON'T HAPPEN.


What makes you think ANY of those things will happen - let alone ALL of them?

Your expectations are about as realistic as someone who says "we can get rid of all crime by: jailing everyone who commits a crime, most who want to commit a crime will get the word and not do it" - it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Ken
Never say "never". Did the legal aliens coming here in 1910 know in about 10 years that'd it became almost impossible to immigrate to the US?

Things go in cycles and it's time again the borders will be closed. If not today; def real soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top