Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 PM

215 posts, read 297,425 times

Advertisements

California, Texas, New York, Utah, Washington, Oklahoma, Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, Nebraska, Maryland, and Connecticut are among states who offer the in-state tuition benefit to illegal immigrants who attended K-12 school in their states.

Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, Democrat, signed the bill into law for the state of Kansas in 2004 when she was the governor of Kansas. This was especially disheartening to American citizens who lived across the state line in Missouri and had to pay out-of-state tuition to attend Kansas schools nearby.

When will American citizens sue the states for this?

Isn't this illegal?

Isn't there a federal law that prohibits states from offering in-state tuition to illegals unless they offer it American citizens as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
As a Texas taxpayer, I think it is completely unacceptable that illegals are charged in-state tuition. I've contacted my representatives regularly about this and will continue to do so.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
California, Texas, New York, Utah, Washington, Oklahoma, Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, Nebraska, Maryland, and Connecticut are among states who offer the in-state tuition benefit to illegal immigrants who attended K-12 school in their states.

Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, Democrat, signed the bill into law for the state of Kansas in 2004 when she was the governor of Kansas. This was especially disheartening to American citizens who lived across the state line in Missouri and had to pay out-of-state tuition to attend Kansas schools nearby.

Isn't this illegal?

Isn't there a federal law that prohibits states from offering in-state tuition to illegals unless they offer it American citizens as well?
Very bad. Far too many Americans cannot afford college or are facing huge loans and how unfair that foreigners with "undocumented" incomes can grab up all the financial aid. No illegal should get financial aid until each American student has it. What other country gives preference to foreigners breaking its laws over citizens?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very bad. Far too many Americans cannot afford college or are facing huge loans and how unfair that foreigners with "undocumented" incomes can grab up all the financial aid. No illegal should get financial aid until each American student has it. What other country gives preference to foreigners breaking its laws over citizens?
So how are you turning qualifying for in-state tuition rates into qualifying for "financial aid"?...

Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So how are you turning qualifying for in-state tuition rates into qualifying for "financial aid"?...
Uh; how about NoT allowing illegal aliens to even go to school in the US? Problem solved. That idea I can get behind.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; how about NoT allowing illegal aliens to even go to school in the US? Problem solved. That idea I can get behind.
But no comment about a seemingly deceptive (or unknowing) statement?...

Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM

215 posts, read 297,425 times
Quote:
The difference in cost between in-state and out-of-state tuition is the financial aid that goes to the illegal immigrant who attended K-12 schools in that state, compared to the American citizen who pays out-of-state tuition for living across the state line.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Strange isn't it that law abiding foreign students pay a much higher rate of tuition but the liars and cheats are rewarded with the lowest rate. What a rip off to those doing things the legal and right way.

And there are all kinds of pandering politicians promising the illegals scholarship and other financial aid. You can research that. Why should lawbreakers get in on in-state tuition? Let them do as legal foreign students are expected to do, apply for student visas and pay the foreign student rate.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post

Isn't this illegal?

You forgot California and Colorado. Many other states are considering doing the same.

It's a state issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
As a Texas taxpayer, I think it is completely unacceptable that illegals are charged in-state tuition. I've contacted my representatives regularly about this and will continue to do so.
Rick Perry signed this into law about ten years ago.

It's a tad inconsistent for some residents of the great state of Texas to have benefitted from illegal workers for decades and not expected there to be any consequences. Of course this is not limited to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
How about imposing a huge state tax on those who have and continue to employ illegal workers? That would likely be perceived as a War on Small Business and politically unacceptable.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2013 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Rick Perry signed this into law about ten years ago.

It's a tad inconsistent for some residents of the great state of Texas to have benefitted from illegal workers for decades and not expected there to be any consequences. Of course this is not limited to Texas.
I was living abroad 10 years ago. I've never voted for Rick Perry.

How do I "benefit"? Can you prove that these illegals are not a net drain on our state coffers? As for me personally, I don't hire them and I don't patronize businesses whom I suspect of hiring illegals. And yes, that does greatly limit my restaurant options...but I'm a woman of principle. I avoid "benefiting" from illegal labor wherever I can. I'd be a hypocrite otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration