Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM

752 posts, read 1,162,229 times

Advertisements

And that is full true. It is not problem that they get instate tuition price (as wrote in another tread) then after they get in state tuition price they get federal pell grant and help from social service. Why I have to pay for some Indian or Chinese to study? How if my money would go to wounded veterans or theirs children? Past year Romney said at Fox news:” as is right now any one from any where in world can come here at tourist visa and study at expenses of US citizens. For me it is criminal.”. If someone would do such tricks in Germany they would take him to jail. What is wrong with this country as illegal can study for free and US citizens do not have money for college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 AM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
And that is full true. It is not problem that they get instate tuition price (as wrote in another tread) then after they get in state tuition price they get federal pell grant and help from social service. Why I have to pay for some Indian or Chinese to study? How if my money would go to wounded veterans or theirs children? Past year Romney said at Fox news:” as is right now any one from any where in world can come here at tourist visa and study at expenses of US citizens. For me it is criminal.”. If someone would do such tricks in Germany they would take him to jail. What is wrong with this country as illegal can study for free and US citizens do not have money for college?
This is the illegal immigration forum, however. The objection is to giving them in-state tuition breaks when they don't even have a right to be in this country in the first place.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,771 times
Quote:
My wife has a nephew that used his Border Crossing Card to go to UTEP. They even have a program ("Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil") for Juarez residents to pay in-state tuition. It's actually common there: Hundreds of Juarez students commute daily to class at UTEP | Borderzine

BTW, can you source that Romney quote?...

Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
The fact is many foreign students get freebies to come here. At the college where I attended grad school they have work study. The majority of the students who qualify are foreign students because they can't get other assistance. Meanwhile American students go in debt. Work study is tax payer funded and should never go to foreign students and if they can't afford school here don't attend.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM

752 posts, read 1,162,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
My wife has a nephew that used his Border Crossing Card to go to UTEP. They even have a program ("Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil") for Juarez residents to pay in-state tuition. It's actually common there: Hundreds of Juarez students commute daily to class at UTEP | Borderzine

BTW, can you source that Romney quote?...
You should Google it alone. Romney was talking with O'Reilly like one month before last presidential vote. It was around that time at O'Reilly "Factors" a couple times about that problem. I’m from Europe and it is above our comprehension capability that some country require its citizens to pay for education and give same education to illegal for free and plus social help.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The fact is many foreign students get freebies to come here. At the college where I attended grad school they have work study. The majority of the students who qualify are foreign students because they can't get other assistance. Meanwhile American students go in debt. Work study is tax payer funded and should never go to foreign students and if they can't afford school here don't attend.
While so many Americans go without, including the taxpayers having their income confiscated to reward foreign freeloaders.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,771 times
Quote:
You should Google it alone. Romney was talking with O'Reilly like one month before last presidential vote. It was around that time at O'Reilly "Factors" a couple times about that problem...
I tried, it brought up another C-D post in August where you said the same thing, and no other hits. Usually if it is out there, I can find it. Throw me a bone, please.

Quote:
...I’m from Europe and it is above our comprehension capability that some country require its citizens to pay for education and give same education to illegal for free and plus social help.
But my wife's nephew hasn't been present illegally in the United States. He used a Border Crossing Card to enter before his classes for the day, and crossed back later to Juarez after they were finished. Same effect as studies under a non-immigrant "Tourist Visa", the premise of the thread you started (don't move the goalposts just yet, or deflect, as threads here are prone to do). Didn't you read the article I sourced?

I first enrolled my stepchildren (I'm a heavily-decorated combat veteran that served in both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy for a total of 22 years) for grade school in the United States while they were on "non-immigrant" (K-4) visas...

Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
While so many Americans go without, including the taxpayers having their income confiscated to reward foreign freeloaders.
I know, it's disgusting. I asked the woman at school why this happens and she said she agreed but to remember we were in Illinois and we know why this happens. Then of course taxes on cigarettes and booze is going up to pay for Medicaid and guess who gets the majority of medicaid in Illinois?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,697,206 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: too personal, please focus on the topic, not other members

I would rather my tax dollars go for someone's education than a veteran and their family. Nobody made them sign up to join and they get enough benefits as it is.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2013 at 04:31 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I tried, it brought up another C-D post in August where you said the same thing, and no other hits. Usually if it is out there, I can find it. Throw me a bone, please.

But my wife's nephew hasn't been present illegally in the United States. He used a Border Crossing Card to enter before his classes for the day, and crossed back later to Juarez after they were finished. Same effect as studies under a non-immigrant "Tourist Visa", the premise of the thread you started (don't move the goalposts just yet, or deflect, as threads here are prone to do). Didn't you read the article I sourced?

I first enrolled my stepchildren (I'm a heavily-decorated combat veteran that served in both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy for a total of 22 years) for grade school in the United States while they were on "non-immigrant" (K-4) visas...
If they including this nephew are legal and law abiding why bring them up in this forum? How many lega l foreign student visas given out doesn't have to do with lawbreakers coming over with their hands out. That's not to say that government handouts to legal foreign students wouldn't be a good topic for discussion. No wonder the debt is so incredibly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration