U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:45 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,812,761 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned
But to seriously ask people to conform--that sounds like something out of a futuristic novel in which there is some fascist or communist takeover. And to say that history doesn't impact our time? History is living. What is going on now is a continuation of it.[/quote]
If one were moving to Mexico permanently, it's not such an awful thing to learn their culture and language. Likewise, for those coming here, they need to learn Engligh.

Personally, most Hispanics I've met who came over here take the time to learn the language, so I think there's a bit of emotionalism to this issue.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-17-2007 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 AM

155 posts, read 696,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
... Also, English has not yet been declared as the national language. I saw a map somewhere of the Spanish-speaking populations in the United States, and I was amazed at what large percentage we have of people who speak primarily Spanish. Maybe we should lose this attitude that the United States is all about speaking English, since so many people living here don't speak it as their first language.
English may not be the "official" language, but it is spoken by more than 80% of the population. When in Rome...

Old 11-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Caa

916 posts, read 2,162,829 times
Quote:
I disagree. One of the things I dislike about this country (and I am a part of it, however involuntarily) is the fact that we don't really teach our young ones different languages. I have always heard that many European countries do this. I think we have only ourselves to blame for our ethnocentric nature. Also, English has not yet been declared as the national language. I saw a map somewhere of the Spanish-speaking populations in the United States, and I was amazed at what large percentage we have of people who speak primarily Spanish. Maybe we should lose this attitude that the United States is all about speaking English, since so many people living here don't speak it as their first language.

Especially in the cases of people from Latin American countries, I have read enough depressing history to see how our government has impacted their economies (and conditions in their countries in general) in such a negative way. I think they're more than entitled to take advantages of opportunities in the U.S.
I agree with the fact that we need to teach our kids more than one language, but they should have a choice-not just have to learn Spanish. I wanted to learn German in High School and then they cut the german class out of the school! How's that for learning? I do disagree with the last sentence in your statement-yes, they are entitled only if they are LEGAL members of this country though. I just wish that Spanish were not everywhere I look. If they are going to put other languages on stuff etc, then there should also be French as there are many non English speaking French here as well.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Caa

916 posts, read 2,162,829 times
Quote:
Is this meant in jest? As satire, it's really funny.

But to seriously ask people to conform--that sounds like something out of a futuristic novel in which there is some fascist or communist takeover. And to say that history doesn't impact our time? History is living. What is going on now is a continuation of it.
No, people should conform to the ways of the country they are in. If I went to Germany to live, I would keep my American ways at home and be "german" the rest of the time. I agree with the history statement, but I hate when people bring it up to make a point.Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-17-2007 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Way off topic

Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,220,542 times
This has been transferred to the Immigration Forum, where frequent discussions take place about the need to learn english when in the USA.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:33 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,097,154 times
Well, anyway...now that I've made it over here, thought I'd say that I can see what y'all are saying, and I agree that other language options besides Spanish would be beneficial, too. I'm not sure of the size of the population of French speakers in the U.S., but I'm sure it could be many more than I realize.

I still don't think I agree with the conforming. If I went to live in another country, I might only assimilate myself in the most necessary ways. I don't expect or really want to people who move to the U.S. to assimilate beyond their comfort level, or enough for them to survive. Plus, I'd hate to think that the people I work with (many of whom are from all over the world) acted significantly different around me because they felt like they had to.

And I see what you're saying, BRMan--I think almost every Hispanic person I've known either knew English before coming here or learned it fairly quickly. I'd guess people pick up on it inevitably if they're immersed in it.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:45 PM

86 posts, read 130,446 times
"Assimilating ... in the most necessary ways". I think that entails learning the language of the country. The biggest, and most valid argument, is that all of our laws and regulations are written in English. If they are not Literate enough in English to read those signs and laws, how would it be possible for them to abide by them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration