U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:01 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,209,773 times

Advertisements

Elvira Arellano divide al Parlamento Migrante (http://www.laopinion.com/primerapagina/?rkey=00000000000002678550 - broken link)

Elvira Arellano divides Al Migrant Parliament

Gardenia Mendoza Aguilar Correspondent of The Opinion
November 17, 2007

MEXICO, D.F.— The activist Elvira Arellano said yesterday —in the framework of the First Parliament of Migrant Leaders that live in the United States— that would she initiate a hunger strike, in order to pressure the government so that it supports a migratory agreement.
Nevertheless, a pair of hours later she seemed to change her mind, pressured by her old friends from Chicago, she various barbecue tacos prepared by cooks from Hidalgo.
"I did it so that they (friends) would not feel badly to eat while I only observed", said Elvira. "I will begin the hunger strike at night".
During the inauguration of the parliament, the presence of Arellano started with timid applauses and the irritation of the Congresswoman of the National Action Party (PAN), Dolores González, who in tribunal asked that Elvira not be proclaimed "representative of immigrants".
"I respect Elvira as a worker, immigrant and single mother, but not as an activist, because she goes against the sovereignty and the laws of another country that is not hers", notified the Congresswoman after being done at the tribunal.
The reaction of the Congress came immidietly: whistlings and shouts were heard in the first rows of the legislative precinct of San Lazarus, headquarters of the encounter: "Get out, racist", migrant leaders shouted from the seats of the Congress. "We are not all Elvira", shouted others. "Promoter of the Ku Kux Klan", said others.
At the end of the ceremony of inauguration, two representatives were asked about the "moral quality" of Arellano in the immigration meeting.
Luis de la Garza, of the League of United Latin-American Citizens (LULAC), with headquarters in Chicago, argued among shouts that, to require respect from the U.S. goverment, one must offer it first.
"That country has given us the opportunity that has not been found in Mexico. It has opened us the doors and we are abusing, we cannot require it, challenge it as this lady [Elvira]; the U.S. goverment has its norms and its regulations", he explained.
"To whom we have to demand is the government of Mexico by not generating jobs".
To some meters from De la Garza, Francisco Chavira, of Laredo, Texas, responded: "All the support for Elvira Arellano. All. Aren't you hurt by the deportations? We have problems with the Anti-immigrant groups, with the border wall, the state laws that deports us here?".
The discussion was diluted between mutual claims of respect and the petition of the organizers to keep the order.
Elvira Arellano, in turn, only declared that her hunger strike would initiate at lunch and would extend to December 12, time that she would remain in Mexico City in order not to worry her parents in Maravatío, Michoacán, where she lives with her son Saúl.
The failure at the meeting marked two radical positions that gave the spirit of the discussions of the encounter: to counterattack or to respect.
Hugo Loyo, an immigrant from Tamaulipas situated in Milwaukee, added to the position of the League against the Discrimination of Mexicans in the United States —announced the past Wednesday— to establish law practices of lawyers in the cities where there is a greater number of undocumented.
"We ask the Legislative to consider assigning more resources to sponsor this type of legal actions", he said.
Ana Ochoa, of the Coalition of Human Rights of Tucson, did an urgent call to create an economic fund to prompt the accusations for all the international media.
Other proposals that were emphasized were to seek an urgent mechanism to give immediate answer to the million of undocumented that are expected for the first semester of 2008.
Raúl Inns, of the Association of Leaders of Durango in Chicago, who participated on the work table for the development of the migrant communities, indicated that is necessary to change the priorities of the Program 3x1, in which by each weight that contribute the associations of migrant, the federal and state governments contribute another more each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,931,397 times
Man, that is HARD to read. Whoever wrote that article shouldn't be called a writer, it is difficult to understand and runs all over the place. But, I get the gist of it. Wow.

Last edited by Synopsis; 11-18-2007 at 06:05 AM..

Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Man, that is HARD to read. Whoever wrote that article shouldn't be called a writer, it is difficult to understand and runs all over the place. But, I get the gist of it. Wow.
Thank you; Synopis for your synopsis (NO pun intended) about the poor composition of the above article.

And; this opinion coming from someone who damn near flunked out of High School due bad English grades.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,299,768 times
This is very true, but if you can extract some facts the article can be interesting

Quote:
During the inauguration of the parliament, the presence of Arellano started with timid applauses and the irritation of the Congresswoman of the National Action Party (PAN), Dolores González, who in tribunal asked that Elvira not be proclaimed "representative of immigrants".
"I respect Elvira as a worker, immigrant and single mother, but not as an activist, because she goes against the sovereignty and the laws of another country that is not hers", notified the Congresswoman after being done at the tribunal.
I believe that activism could be positive, but you have to be very wise to be a good activist, just like Gandhi was, and unfortunately Elvira lacks the wisdom or willpower to be a good activist.

It is positive though, that the mexican government is taking it's distance, imho if illegals want to be activists it's ok because they chose to break the law which they might find unfair, but the mexican government has nothing to do with it, if they chose to break the law then they should be fully aware of the consequences this will have, which Gandhi or Martin Luther King were.

Quote:
Nevertheless, a pair of hours later she seemed to change her mind, pressured by her old friends from Chicago, she various barbecue tacos prepared by cooks from Hidalgo.
"I did it so that they (friends) would not feel badly to eat while I only observed", said Elvira. "I will begin the hunger strike at night".
See what I mean? being an activist requires a huge compromise, lots of wisdom, willpower, intuition and a strong and developed soul, things that Elvira Arellano seems to lack.

True activists use the powerful energies of spiritual force to create union and harmony, not divisions.

Divisions are created when the energies of delusion are used, ignorance creates these vibrations which seems to be the case.

Respect!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:15 AM

402 posts, read 938,572 times
Quote:
Hugo Loyo, an immigrant from Tamaulipas situated in Milwaukee, added to the position of the League against the Discrimination of Mexicans in the United States —announced the past Wednesday— to establish law practices of lawyers in the cities where there is a greater number of undocumented.

I don't know of anyone who discriminates against Mexicans. The dislike and anger from our citizens is againt ALL illegal aliens, no matter what their nationality.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 AM

402 posts, read 938,572 times
Truth be known, She got hungry.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,209,773 times
This was translated over to English without being re-edited. I have found that most articles written in spanish first could use a once over in english, but many times leaving them "as is" brings out the true colors, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-18-2007 at 09:42 AM..

Old 11-18-2007, 09:37 AM

9,308 posts, read 25,674,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
I don't know of anyone who discriminates against Mexicans. The dislike and anger from our citizens is againt ALL illegal aliens, no matter what their nationality.
Great poit, Choctaw

If these Hate Stirring Hispanic and/or Mexican Groups in this country would drop the damn "Race Card" and "pity me" approach and address the true problem . . . ILLEGALS . . . we would all be better off.

I agree with you . . . this has nothing to do with Mexicans. If you have entered this country ILEGALLY, regardless your country of origin, then you are a COMMON CRIMINAL and your status needs to be addressed appropriately.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
Quote:
" Nevertheless, a pair of hours later she seemed"
I lol'd when I read that.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,976,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Amen to that. I don't care where they're from or what color they are. Illegals have no right to be here and need to be shown the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration