Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,840,389 times

Advertisements

(Reuters) - Illegal immigrants can be licensed to practice law in California under one of eight bills expanding immigrant rights that were signed by Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday.

The California Supreme Court, which finalizes requests of applicants to be licensed as a lawyer in California, is now authorized to approve qualified applicants regardless of their immigration status.

Illegal immigrants allowed to practice law in California

I'm just shaking my head here. Sheesh!

Well; maybe this WILL hurt the richer people in Cali where it hurts; their wallets.

Tho what DID hit me was Yahoo using the word "illegal" in the title; NOT "undocumented".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,646,875 times
Who would allow an undocumented person to represent them? lol

Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If the price was low enough and the defendant was scared enough, anything's possible.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:55 AM

62,609 posts, read 28,801,743 times
Quote:
They would probably have no knowledge that the person who is representing them is an "illegal alien".

Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,162,301 times
I was under the impression that all lawyers are considered an officer of the court and as such can not knowingly be in violation of or be participating in violation of the law. Being an illegal is pretty much knowingly violating the law.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 AM

408 posts, read 392,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I was under the impression that all lawyers are considered an officer of the court and as such can not knowingly be in violation of or be participating in violation of the law. Being an illegal is pretty much knowingly violating the law.
Wrong.

Being an undocumented alien is a "document offense;" it's similar in character to driving without your driver's license or without registration and proof of insurance in the car. It's no more serious, from a legal perspective, than receiving a speeding or parking ticket. And the last time I checked, they didn't disbar attorneys or pull their law licenses for getting parking tickets.

I know that some folks would like to think that it's a misdemeanor or even a felony, but it's not.

Assuming there's anyone answering the phones there, call up your nearest ICE office and ask them. They'll tell you the same thing.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
Wrong.

Being an undocumented alien is a "document offense;" it's similar in character to driving without your driver's license or without registration and proof of insurance in the car. It's no more serious, from a legal perspective, than receiving a speeding or parking ticket. And the last time I checked, they didn't disbar attorneys or pull their law licenses for getting parking tickets.

I know that some folks would like to think that it's a misdemeanor or even a felony, but it's not.

Assuming there's anyone answering the phones there, call up your nearest ICE office and ask them. They'll tell you the same thing.
Being in the US illegally is a misdemeanor which IS a crime. Getting caught and deported a 2nd time is a felony. Speeding and so on are just "infractions" which WON'T stay on your record your whole life. Misdemeanors and felonies WILL.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:38 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,526,365 times
Quote:
Other illegals and those planning on claiming discrimination against them for their choice of representation.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 AM

408 posts, read 392,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Being in the US illegally is a misdemeanor
No, it's not.

Quote:
Getting caught and deported a 2nd time is a felony.
No, it's not. Reentering without documentation after being deported is a civil offense, not a criminal one. In any event, being here without documentation isn't a criminal offense, regardless of how you entered the US.

Quote:
Speeding and so on are just "infractions" which WON'T stay on your record your whole life. Misdemeanors and felonies WILL.
Give ICE a call and ask for the Enforcement Division. They'll bring you up to speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration