U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 982 times

Advertisements

An individual crossing the border and washing dishes is not the issue at all. After we started demanding livable wages and safe working conditions, is when the Bush administration invited the Mexican Veterans over to protect us from communism. (entitling them to food stamps, rent assistance, education for families, and a lot of other assistance we do not get) They took the middle class American jobs, shipbuilding, construction, etc. They also brought their entire families that are now working the fast food, janitorial, and the menial jobs.
The poor border jumper had a little assistance at first, but is now forced to use the pitiful homeless resources. They were also led to beleive that they should not have contact with the poor American Citizen, as we will just beat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 PM

1,150 posts, read 595,787 times
I think part of it is the old "America has streets paved with gold" falacy. It's imbedded in the psyches of uneducated third world people. It's one of those stories that's been around so long, it 'must be true.' Helping to verify this picture of the US is that most people who don't travel, get their view of the US from television, and movies, and don't realize most families don't live like the actors in "Dallas."

Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,639,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I think part of it is the old "America has streets paved with gold" falacy. It's imbedded in the psyches of uneducated third world people. It's one of those stories that's been around so long, it 'must be true.' Helping to verify this picture of the US is that most people who don't travel, get their view of the US from television, and movies, and don't realize most families don't live like the actors in "Dallas."
And if discussing Mexico: its poverty is a far cry from, say, Haiti's--------the latter place is truly poor.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 876 times
I agree that the government is very corrupt which is a reason why the country is the way it is...

P.S...can anyone give me a list of the poorest cities in Mexico? PLEASE I REALLY NEED THESE!!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
Default Do these people look like they could make it across the desert into the US?

Seriously. And then, do you think they'd be employable if they did make it? Only strong people who are in relatively good shape can make the journey, and many of them die. If they make it and find jobs, they send money (millions every year) back across the border to the ones who are too hungry, weak, young or old to make it across, like the woman and children in the picture. If you had to choose someone in your poverty-stricken village to go, on the chance that money would come back to help the starving, whom would you pick? Who would volunteer to go? A machismo, young man with cajones is whom I'd pick, and he'd want to go, to help his abuela and the children of the village and, yes, because of his own ambitions. Stay and watch and be part of the misery, or go and take the chance at a better life for those left behind and yourself. It's the clear choice most of our ancestors made.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 PM

14,307 posts, read 6,387,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag1 View Post
Seriously. And then, do you think they'd be employable if they did make it? Only strong people who are in relatively good shape can make the journey, and many of them die. If they make it and find jobs, they send money (millions every year) back across the border to the ones who are too hungry, weak, young or old to make it across, like the woman and children in the picture. If you had to choose someone in your poverty-stricken village to go, on the chance that money would come back to help the starving, whom would you pick? Who would volunteer to go? A machismo, young man with cajones is whom I'd pick, and he'd want to go, to help his abuela and the children of the village and, yes, because of his own ambitions. Stay and watch and be part of the misery, or go and take the chance at a better life for those left behind and yourself. It's the clear choice most of our ancestors made.
First off most Mexicans aren't starving in their countries. Second, no one has the right to a better life by breaking laws and negatively affecting other's lives. The past immigrants for the most part came here within our immigration laws so your comparison is moot.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 AM

15,102 posts, read 9,446,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehomelesspresident View Post
An individual crossing the border and washing dishes is not the issue at all. After we started demanding livable wages and safe working conditions, is when the Bush administration invited the Mexican Veterans over to protect us from communism. (entitling them to food stamps, rent assistance, education for families, and a lot of other assistance we do not get) They took the middle class American jobs, shipbuilding, construction, etc. They also brought their entire families that are now working the fast food, janitorial, and the menial jobs.
The poor border jumper had a little assistance at first, but is now forced to use the pitiful homeless resources. They were also led to beleive that they should not have contact with the poor American Citizen, as we will just beat them.

Oh yeah, the "blame it on Bush" scenario... time to wake up, the GOVERNMENT is the cause here not one particular political person.

I wish the government could protect this country as well as it protects the frigging trees.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 AM

15,102 posts, read 9,446,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr8peopleLooserworld View Post
I agree that the government is very corrupt which is a reason why the country is the way it is...

P.S...can anyone give me a list of the poorest cities in Mexico? PLEASE I REALLY NEED THESE!!
Look here:

Where are the poorest places in Mexico? - Yahoo! Answers

In fact as per the UNO these are the poorest cities in latin america:

Chiapas, Oaxaca and Guerrero.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 AM

323 posts, read 498,346 times
I just wanted to update everyone about us.

My husbands business failed after it started with great results. I really thought we would be ok. With only 8 month's to pay the payments on his equipment (HUGE payments)... My mother became ill and had no prescription insurance. Her medicine costs were 1,200.00 a WEEK! She passed away within a few month's of pancreatic cancer. I cared for her at home until the last 3 days.

We thought we could recuperate....Then within 4 month's after losing her. My dad became ill. He developed Congestive Heart Disease. (I think he passed of a broken heart) I just lost him April 29th 2010. He passed away ON my birthday!

I also cared for him at home until the last month. I could no longer manage his medicines as they changed dosages almost by the hour. I did stay with him everyday. I have been through battles with the health care system so many times because they just wanted to let him die even though he is Catholic and requested treatments himself. The major one was a feeding tube. I had to call in Father Reid to make them not starve him to death.

Of course the doctors etc all tried to come after me for the co-pays etc after they passed. I signed no papers. They couldn't and I quit fretting over it when my one cousin gave me advice. He's a judge.

My friends...Karen and Mark live on 695.00 a MONTH. Now SS says they will not pay for the life saving medicines she needs to survive. Others she needs they will only pay half. They have to pay utilities out of that,food and her medicines. They do get food stamps but it's not much. She is no longer in remission and her health is day to day. I took them over food from my garden I canned this year to help them out. I had a really good garden this past summer.

We are still struggling. Just trying to dig out of the whole from illness and death. Our mortgage lender will not redo the loan in any way shape or form. They are doing to us what Bank of America did to so many people. We pay 8%!

There is no Christmas this year yet again. I didn't even bother putting up a tree. We have to save every penny for the mortgage payment.

My husband is an over the road truck driver. I see him maybe 2 to 3 days a month. Yet at the chicken plant close to us. An illegal was making almost 30.00 an HOUR!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM

1,150 posts, read 595,787 times
Has Mexico had such a corrupt government since it's inception? Why weren't they able to keep up with Canada and the US? Of the three North American countries, why did they get left behind? Why didn't they become industrialized when we did? Why didn't they build good schools, and promote education? Why is there such disparity in the value of the dollar, and the peso? Why did they fall so far behind? Why didn't they advance more? There's very little illegal immigration from Canada, and much of what there is, is people from other countries just passing through to the US. I understand why we have the problem with Mexico now, but I don't understand why Mexico was allowed to stagnate, or deteriorate, to the pont where millions of it's citizens see their only option as fleeing to the US illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration