U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,012,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
So you think all the cities that Have China towns, Japan towns and such could be the downfall of the U.S? I mean these places are more of tourist attractions than anything, it is this places that makes the cities beautiful with culture. Most of these people are recent immigrants who will carry on the traditions of their Grandparents. Just like many Americans, they didn't just abandon their culture at once. It took some generations of kids but probably til' this day, they still share some traditions of their ancestors. We each have something to contribute, and thats what makes this American culture florish.
One big difference:

The 'Japanese' and 'Chinese' are tiny minorities across most of the USA------and, too being it is such a struggle to come here from Asia, they have lots of incentive to learn English.

In fact: what does irk me is why so many second and subsequent generations of American Latinos tend to have such strong foreign accents.

Why I say that is most Vietnamese, etc. who arrive age 12 on down.....by the time they are age 18-20 they speak English just like native born 'Anglos'------no old country accent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 AM

3,432 posts, read 203,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One big difference:

The 'Japanese' and 'Chinese' are tiny minorities across most of the USA------and, too being it is such a struggle to come here from Asia, they have lots of incentive to learn English.

In fact: what does irk me is why so many second and subsequent generations of American Latinos tend to have such strong foreign accents.

Why I say that is most Vietnamese, etc. who arrive age 12 on down.....by the time they are age 18-20 they speak English just like native born 'Anglos'------no old country accent.
My English teacher was born here, still has a Korean accent to some extent.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:52 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,273,231 times
Quote:
So you think all the cities that Have China towns, Japan towns and such could be the downfall of the U.S?
Big difference between china "town" and Mexi "state". I don't want my entire state to turn into Mexico, why does that make me wrong?

Old 11-22-2007, 02:29 PM

3,432 posts, read 203,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Big difference between china "town" and Mexi "state". I don't want my entire state to turn into Mexico, why does that make me wrong?
Illegal Immigration or not, most border states have always had a big SOB presence. We see it in the culture, food, take Texas for example. They are the most Mexican state (imo) in the U.S. Look at some of the clothes they wear? Cattle ranching? Mexicans along with Blacks were the first cow boys that roamed the west. I look forward to seeing more politicians from SOB decent.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,273,231 times
Quote:
Illegal Immigration or not, most border states have always had a big SOB presence. We see it in the culture, food, take Texas for example. They are the most Mexican state (imo) in the U.S. Look at some of the clothes they wear? Cattle ranching? Mexicans along with Blacks were the first cow boys that roamed the west. I look forward to seeing more politicians from SOB decent.

I'm about 600 miles from the border, and driving around some of the cities around here you'd think you're in Mexico. This is what I don't want. What I want is my country to be full of Americans, whether they're white, black, hispanic, Asian, Indian, whatever, not Mexicans trying to turn it into Mexico.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:13 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,459,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I'm about 600 miles from the border, and driving around some of the cities around here you'd think you're in Mexico. This is what I don't want. What I want is my country to be full of Americans, whether they're white, black, hispanic, Asian, Indian, whatever, not Mexicans trying to turn it into Mexico.
Mexicans have been arriving in the US since before it was the US. Neither the Mexicans of the past, nor any OTHER group of immigrants, succeeded in "turning the US into Mexico"---(or Italy--or Ireland---or Poland--or any OTHER of their countries of origin)---because those immigrants in former years arrived in an America that INSISTED that they assimilate...by all sorts of means, both gentle and "rough". People arriving in America were coaxed, cajoled, bullied, and pushed into becoming AMERICANS--and the sooner the better. Some even saw their own KIDS become annoyed with the their parents' "foreign ways"...and some people (gasp) even CHANGED THEIR NAMES to fit in.(!)..imagine THAT...becoming an American was THAT important!....

Today, the latest "wave" of Mexicans is arriving into an America that's in love with the concept of "multiculturalism". They are no longer asked, nor do we demand, that they assimilate. All cultures are equal, we seem to believe, so who are WE to demand that anyone assimilate ?..."Shucks", we seem to say, "most cultures are actually way COOLER than ours, anyway". No one should be made to feel "awkward" just because they're not a citizen....what's important is that they're 'nice' people.....and we ALL know that many of THEM are really nicer than many of US.

In this atmosphere, it should come as little surprise that the hard-working immigrant doesn't feel any great "push" to accomodate OUR culture--he sees us trying in every way we can to accomodate HIS. Why should HE worry about preserving OUR culture, if we OURSELVES don't seem to put any great importance on it?..

Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 PM

4,805 posts, read 5,340,999 times
Assimilation is the operative word here......

Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,012,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Assimilation is the operative word here......
Damn straight.

Read that learn English and follow American social mores------although if a group of immigrants wish to follow their customs at home with the proviso that US law is not violated that would be fine

One thing I have noticed is if a specific ethnic group moves to the USA; if anything, acceptance tends to lead to assimilation.

Jewish society for example seems to thrive under adversity as in prejudice against Jews, etc. However: when Jewish people are accepted; that tends to wind up 'killing' Jewish culture off-------much easier to follow the dominant 'gentile' culture than hold out against it.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:49 PM

323 posts, read 487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Mexicans have been arriving in the US since before it was the US. Neither the Mexicans of the past, nor any OTHER group of immigrants, succeeded in "turning the US into Mexico"---(or Italy--or Ireland---or Poland--or any OTHER of their countries of origin)---because those immigrants in former years arrived in an America that INSISTED that they assimilate...by all sorts of means, both gentle and "rough". People arriving in America were coaxed, cajoled, bullied, and pushed into becoming AMERICANS--and the sooner the better. Some even saw their own KIDS become annoyed with the their parents' "foreign ways"...and some people (gasp) even CHANGED THEIR NAMES to fit in.(!)..imagine THAT...becoming an American was THAT important!....

Today, the latest "wave" of Mexicans is arriving into an America that's in love with the concept of "multiculturalism". They are no longer asked, nor do we demand, that they assimilate. All cultures are equal, we seem to believe, so who are WE to demand that anyone assimilate ?..."Shucks", we seem to say, "most cultures are actually way COOLER than ours, anyway". No one should be made to feel "awkward" just because they're not a citizen....what's important is that they're 'nice' people.....and we ALL know that many of THEM are really nicer than many of US.

In this atmosphere, it should come as little surprise that the hard-working immigrant doesn't feel any great "push" to accomodate OUR culture--he sees us trying in every way we can to accomodate HIS. Why should HE worry about preserving OUR culture, if we OURSELVES don't seem to put any great importance on it?..
Our family did on dads side. From Germany. Our name was spelled Anjel. Now it's Angel. Same meaning in both spellings. My dad can speak German but to this day he won't. He slips when he and my uncle are together and sometimes I catch him browsing an article in German on the net.

He made a promise to my grandmother. And he has kept that promise. That they would be Americans and they have successfully done that. I do wish he would have taught me the language tho. My grandparents immigrated LEGALLY.

In talking with some peoples I know to be illegal hispanics. They do not WANT citizenship. They go back once in a while and regularly send money back. That it the objective. They make big money here compared to there and they send it there. It goes farther. They can own more etc. My hubby talked with a driver. He said he will work here 5 years and go back home. Buy a farm and live like a king.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 AM

17 posts, read 23,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
You are living in a box my friend. Most Latinos don't dream of becoming future Aztec warriors and violently reconquisting their land. Most illegal immigrants just want to work and have a better life, not hurt America or Americans.
These illegal immigrants probably do not realize they are part of a plan by the Mexican government to get rid of all their impoverished and move them to America to populate it and eventually to "reconquer" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration