Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Pretty much; why should we have a double standard for the educated? All that tells me is that Ghost thinks some people are worth more than other people. Aren't we all equal?
An educated man who may feel because he is a doctor that he is above the law. When you get your visa you are given very specific instructions. What can violate your visa, change of status must be reported right a way. I know because my wife came here on a visa.. This doctor really has no excuses. Its his own fault no one elses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
An educated man who may feel because he is a doctor that he is above the law. When you get your visa you are given very specific instructions. What can violate your visa, change of status must be reported right a way. I know because my wife came here on a visa.. This doctor really has no excuses. Its his own fault no one elses.
I agree. I sponsored my ex for a visa (before he became my ex) and believe me, we read, re-read, re-re-read, etc. every scrap of paper that came from the government and followed them to the anally precise letter. Even stupid little mistakes can mean a denial.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
I agree. I sponsored my ex for a visa (before he became my ex) and believe me, we read, re-read, re-re-read, etc. every scrap of paper that came from the government and followed them to the anally precise letter. Even stupid little mistakes can mean a denial.
Oh it was a pain at times. I actually hired a lawyer that specializes in immigration and saved some hassel. Best 1200 bucks I ever spent. Note I didnt hire a cheap lawyer. Then for her residency ie green card we did it ourselves, er uhmmm I mean she did. LOL I hate paper work. This so callled doctor has as many or more resources than I do. He for what ever reason decided to ignore the process. Like the old saying. If you want to dance you got to pay the fiddler.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Oh it was a pain at times. I actually hired a lawyer that specializes in immigration and saved some hassel. Best 1200 bucks I ever spent. Note I didnt hire a cheap lawyer. Then for her residency ie green card we did it ourselves, er uhmmm I mean she did. LOL I hate paper work. This so callled doctor has as many or more resources than I do. He for what ever reason decided to ignore the process. Like the old saying. If you want to dance you got to pay the fiddler.
We didn't use a lawyer; a straightforward visa app without any waivers usually doesn't require one, but boy was it stressful. And a lot of paperwork and expense.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Exactly right and in this case its an educated man.
Ghost as for loosing 1 doctor? Oh well we have many others, his being a doctor does not earn a get out of jail free card.
My point about standards just as every other nation has is to demonstrate the fact we are dealing with a level playing field.
These laws benifit everyone, especially the nation as a whole. Besides its simply a matter of him correcting the over looked change of status and reapplying for a visa. Its not a big deal. He got caught and now they are trying to beat the system by using the media.
Exactly. And his home country undoubtedly needs his services far more than we do.

Interesting comment:

Quote:
They committed visa fraud. They chose to hide their marital status knowing that an interview with a U.S. consul and a visa would not be granted back in the Philippines. The lie continued when they got to the port of entry (when you immigrate as 2nd preference, single child of a citizen/lawful permanent resident, the immigration officials at the port of entry will ask you again about your marital status and even order you to write a statement about it). To let them stay is not fair to the truly honest prospective immigrants who wait for so long due to the preference under which they fall. It is also unfair to those who chose to disclose a change in their marital status despite their knowledge that they would not be given the interview or the visa by the U.S. Embassy in their native country if they disclosed such status. Those are the true law-abiding people, who abide by U.S. law even in their native country.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/pat...-slideshow.ece

Old 11-22-2007, 07:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Flawed how? They broke the rules. This topic has already been discussed in the immigration forum and when you marry, your preference category changes. If you don't inform the US of any life changes that change your preference category, you're pretty much committing visa fraud. Ignorance is not an excuse; it is the beneficiary's responsibility to know the rules and follow them to the letter.

I say tough *****.
I may be strongly anti illegal immigration; but, being that both people in this case had valid visas when they were single, their immigration status should not have have been affected one way or the other by marriage.

Now; if one had the visa and the other was here illegally------that would be a different story.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:51 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Very valid point, Tinman

Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I may be strongly anti illegal immigration; but, being that both people in this case had valid visas when they were single, their immigration status should not have have been affected one way or the other by marriage.

Now; if one had the visa and the other was here illegally------that would be a different story.
They weren't issued the visas until after they were married. They applied for them before they got married and the visas were actually issued later, meaning that they'd have to continue to lie, lie, lie and omit, omit, omit throughout the application process.

As far as the US government is concerned, visa fraud has been committed. I tend to agree with them; it's a common ploy, particularly in the Philippines which is a high fraud country anyway, to lie about your age and/or marital status to get a better preference category. That they claim to have done it inadvertently is not an excuse.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
They weren't issued the visas until after they were married. They applied for them before they got married and the visas were actually issued later, meaning that they'd have to continue to lie, lie, lie and omit, omit, omit throughout the application process.

As far as the US government is concerned, visa fraud has been committed. I tend to agree with them; it's a common ploy, particularly in the Philippines which is a high fraud country anyway, to lie about your age and/or marital status to get a better preference category. That they claim to have done it inadvertently is not an excuse.
That is a 'cat of a different color' then-------I agree; said couple needs to go then.

Thank you for the clarification.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sadly, GHOST, nothing in life is 100% perfect.

We are a Nation of Laws and no one should be allowed to "pick and choose" which law they prefer to honor. NO ONE!

actually, we are encouraged to practice peaceful protest and civil disobedience as a means of demonstrating our disagreements with written law. if someone can make a good case, its supposed to be reviewed through general election.

Quote:
The mere fact our immigration law is "flawed" (your claim and term, not mine) does not give anyone the right to abuse or ignore it. As an example, you may not agree with the speed limit on a particular highway but that does not give you the right to abuse or ignore that limit.
the speed limit is actually a very disputed issue. if you remember your history, it was instated to decrease fuel consumption, not because it was so much safer.

but even if you dont civilly disobey, there is still peaceful protest. that is what im doing, in regards to immigration, on this board. but like with prohibition or slavery, if proper educated actions arent swiftly taken, sometimes you do have to take matters into your own hand. all the greatest american heroes were lawbreakers: george washington (disobeyed british rule), abraham lincoln (disobeyed slavery laws in the south), rosa parks (disobeyed segregation laws). should i go on?

Quote:
By the way, what has GHOST done to "fix" the claimed flaws in our immigration process . . . other than IGNORE, DISRESPECT, BASH AND RIDICULE?

um, vote. i havent ignored immigration laws... im a citizen. but i have every right to disrespect them. 1st amendment baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration