Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
So decency= open borders, amnesty and all that? And decent for who? McCain never seems to get around to boo hoo-ing for the US citizens whose lives are destroyed by illegal aliens. This guy could just as easily discuss the college students who were shot execution style by illegal immigrants a few months ago. You will never hear him mention anything like that.
Nor will McCain ever support building an effective fence, which would keep the illegal aliens out of the desert in the first place.
I am proud as hell to support the most 'indecent' candidate of all. And if that makes me indecent, that bothers me not one iota.
Yep, where is their decency to the American citizens. Or are we not worthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
How does this relate to the Republican Party discussions of the issue?
Take off your moderator hat for a moment. You have posted an article that I disagree with. I am not 'calling you out'.

Quote:
Decency on Immigration
Apart from John McCain, it's hard to find that quality in the Republican presidential contest.
This is very provocative, the implication being that unless you support illegal immigration like McCain you are not a decent person.

Quote:
.... except for the fact that the person speaking is a presidential candidate -- a Republican presidential candidate, in fact -- at a time when the campaign has taken a particularly toxic tone when it comes to the issue of immigration.
I would like to know what the author considers the 'toxic tone'. Is wanting an orderly, fair immigration process that benefits the US toxic? Is it toxic to believe that the benefits system which is funded by taxpayer dollars should be reserved for US citizens?

Quote:
Indeed, even as Mr. McCain was speaking, his GOP rivals were busy turning an ugly immigration debate even uglier.
Once again, I would like to know what it is that the author finds so offensive about wanting our laws enforced.

Quote:
Illegal immigration provokes strong emotions, understandably so. But it would behoove all the candidates to engage in a little less chest-thumping and speak with more of the decency and compassion that Mr. McCain exhibited.
His definition of compassion and decency.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...93.html?sub=AR

The comments section after the article is worth reading.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Default Anyone want to "Chime In"?

No one with any decency could help but be moved by the situation--this occurs every summer, as people expire in the heat in this particular area--(a particularly hideous way to die), where many of them have chosen to cross, to avoid tighter enforcement in more populated parts of the border..(Ironically, we also occasionally hear of illegals dying of the COLD, in mountainous areas of inland San Diego County during winter storms).

I actually found myself weeping several years ago (some may remember this) when a dozen or so illegals hopped a freight train near El Paso. Their box car door inadvertently slipped "shut" (they can't be opened from inside---they should have blocked it open with a wood scrap). Shortly thereafter, the car was "spotted" on a remote desert siding, and left alone. Several days later, a rail crew discovered the illegals inside the locked car, dead of heatstroke and lack of oxygen. One man had DRILLED A HOLE through the 3" plank floor of the car with his pocket knife, in a desperate search for air. His body was found with his face pressed into the hole. That's what caused me to weep. And it does happen, every now and then.

I won't argue this, as it's been pretty well beaten to death on this forum..EXCEPT to say that a LOT of parties are guilty, and there's LOTS of blame to go around. So far, on this forum, I hear only ONE party being "castigated" for their unfeeling inhumanity--and that's the "mean, selfish" American taxpayer.

Somehow, I think a few OTHERS should be held up for blame, too.---such as the corrupt politicians and obscenely wealthy businessmen who rule resource-rich Mexico---the spineless rich American politicians who are really just highly-paid prostitutes, "selling" themselves, and their integrity, to big business---the Hispanic activist groups, refusing to see any issue in this at ALL, except the issue of "racism"---Mexican citizens themselves, unwilling or uninterested in improving their own country, looking for a "quick-fix" by just "slipping in" unnoticed to take advantage of the "neighbors"---and guilty "multicultural" open-borders types here, who see America's sole purpose for existence as providing an outlet for the whole world's problems, no matter what our own domestic needs are.

I'll admit that the "selfish American" bears some responsibility for this---is anybody out there willing to add anyone ELSE to the list of "guilty parties"?...

Last edited by macmeal; 11-26-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
No one with any decency could help but be moved by the situation--this occurs every summer, as people expire in the heat in this particular area--(a particularly hideous way to die), where many of them have chosen to cross, to avoid tighter enforcement in more populated parts of the border..(Ironically, we also occasionally hear of illegals dying of the COLD, in mountainous areas of inland San Diego County during winter storms).

I won't argue this, as it's been pretty well beaten to death on this forum..EXCEPT to say that a LOT of parties are guilty, and there's LOTS of blame to go around. So far, on this forum, I hear only ONE party being "castigated" for their unfeeling inhumanity--and that's the "mean, selfish" American taxpayer.

Somehow, I think a few OTHERS should be held up for blame, too.---such as the corrupt politicians and obscenely wealthy businessmen who rule resource-rich Mexico---the spineless rich American politicians who are really just highly-paid prostitutes, "selling" themselves, and their integrity, to big business---the Hispanic activist groups, refusing to see any issue in this at ALL, except the issue of "racism"---Mexican citizens themselves, unwilling or uninterested in improving their own country, looking for a "quick-fix" by just "slipping in" unnoticed to take advantage of the "neighbors"---and guilty "multicultural" open-borders types here, who see America's sole purpose for existence as providing an outlet for the whole world's problems, no matter what our own domestic needs are.

I'll admit that the "selfish American" bears some responsibility for this---is anybody out there willing to add anyone ELSE to the list of "guilty parties"?...
You're on! I would like to add the lowest scum of the earth- the coyotes who lead these people into the desert with insufficient water, encourage them to cross when the temp is too high and take on 'clients' whose physical condition is such that even a complete fool can see that they are not up to a multi-day desert crossing. If you are in proper physical shape and adequately prepared, you can survive in conditions like this. Our troops in the Middle East do it all the time. To me, the coyotes are high on the list of guilty parties.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
This is no surprise. John McCain's very pro illegal alien, and he's supported illegal aliens for quite a while. Heck, looking at his voting record he could probably change parties and get reelected as a democrat.

But perhaps the best way to protect the children dying in the desert is to prosecute the mothers and fathers for reckless endangerment of their children. They violate our border laws, then recklessly endanger their own children. And then that becomes just the tip of the iceberg.
WOW, Hawkeye . . . you said it all.

As far as I am concerned, John McCain has become a TRAITOR to the voters of Arizona! He was elected as a Republican and has "crawled into bed" with some of the most deceitful Democrats (Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton for openers) of the century. He has completely "turned his back" to the needs and desires of the very voters that elected him.

He is a FRAUD and will never get another vote from me!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Andreabeth, I do not find your posting to be calling me out. Your request is reasonable, and I'll respond on the core point.

The point of the editorial from the Washington Post has to do with their take on the immigration political discussion. In reading the article, the Post has stated they believe the discussions by most Republican Party candidates are poorly framed. None of the statements in the OP are from me, they are a direct extract from the initial paragraphs of the editorial. The summary issue, as expressed at the end of the editorial, is as follows:

Illegal immigration provokes strong emotions, understandably so. But it would behoove all the candidates to engage in a little less chest-thumping and speak with more of the decency and compassion that Mr. McCain exhibited.

So basically, the Post believes the Republican Party is pandering to an ugly side of the discussion, while they praise McCain for being more civil in his presentation of the issue. It doesn't have to do with the support or objection of the illegals, it has to do with how each of the candidates is framing the issue for public consumption.

That is the core topic in the original posting.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-26-2007 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM

902 posts, read 717,913 times
Quote:
How does this relate to the Republican Party discussions of the issue?
It relates because you posted in an earlier post that the editorial was about decency.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM

902 posts, read 717,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

I actually found myself weeping several years ago (some may remember this) when a dozen or so illegals hopped a freight train near El Paso. Their box car door inadvertently slipped "shut" (they can't be opened from inside---they should have blocked it open with a wood scrap). Shortly thereafter, the car was "spotted" on a remote desert siding, and left alone. Several days later, a rail crew discovered the illegals inside the locked car, dead of heatstroke and lack of oxygen. One man had DRILLED A HOLE through the 3" plank floor of the car with his pocket knife, in a desperate search for air. His body was found with his face pressed into the hole. That's what caused me to weep. And it does happen, every now and then.

There happens to be guilty ones all over but, the one who happens to be most responsible for the deaths are the illegals themselves. People have to to start accepting the responsibility of their own actions and stop blaming everyone and everything else under the sun.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
There happens to be guilty ones all over but, the one who happens to be most responsible for the deaths are the illegals themselves. People have to to start accepting the responsibility of their own actions and stop blaming everyone and everything else under the sun.
Thank you, Ozark-Baby

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone heading out into the Desert Southwest considering the obvious heat and known risk. The Sun is brutal here and it doesn't take a PhD to know to just look up and see nothing but SUN and MORE SUN while the temperature is running about 120 to 140 degrees plus the terrain is anything but loving!

Granted the coyotes may tell these illegals that there's life right over the hill but do they not have any common sense whatsoever?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Andreabeth, I do not find your posting to be calling me out. Your request is reasonable, and I'll respond on the core point.

The point of the editorial from the Washington Post has to do with their take on the immigration political discussion. In reading the article, the Post has stated they believe the discussions by most Republican Party candidates are poorly framed. None of the statements in the OP are from me, they are a direct extract from the initial paragraphs of the editorial. The summary issue, as expressed at the end of the editorial, is as follows:

So basically, the Post believes the Republican Party is pandering to an ugly side of the discussion, while they praise McCain for being more civil in his presentation of the issue. It doesn't have to do with the support or objection of the illegals, it has to do with how each of the candidates is framing the issue for public consumption.

That is the core topic in the original posting.
All politicians chest thump when they are on the campaign trail. McCain can chest thump with the best of them when it suits him to do so.
IMO, the Washington Post has long since taken a side in this issue so I don't see them as unbiased. I am not sure what is so ugly about wanting our immigration laws enforced. It is in the OBL's best interest to make it look as ugly as possible. If they can get people to focus solely on how 'mean' anyone who wants the laws enforced is, then they can distract them from all the negatives associated with illegal immigration.
Besides, we have already tried being 'decent and compassionate' back in 1986. We were very nice. We granted amnesty to millions of illegal aliens after being assured by the gov. that this was what would solve the problem. Our kind, decent, compassionate stance has been gotten us at least 9 million additional illegal immigrants. It is way past time to take off the gloves, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration