Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

I always have been a strong supporter of protecting American jobs - especially from people who come here illegally to take those jobs.

It is obvious to anyone who lives and works in rural Ohio we have an illegal immigration crisis. There are Americans who go without work, and there are illegal immigrants who receive benefits provided by a system that they do not pay into. I always have believed this was wrong.

But traveling to the U.S.-Mexico border this week has given me a much more comprehensive view of this crisis. I went to Tucson, Ariz., and El Paso, Texas, where I visited with Border Patrol agents, inspected police facilities and ventured out along the border.
Despite the Border Patrol agents' best efforts, the flow of illegal immigrants into our country continues virtually unabated, and that is completely unacceptable.

I saw smugglers sitting just inside Mexico with radios they would use to alert others when Border Patrol agents approach. I learned smugglers must be caught with 500 pounds of marijuana before they would be arrested and prosecuted. I witnessed people climbing over rudimentary barriers with little trouble - anything less and they are turned loose. This was an eye-opening experience that revealed just how porous our border really is.

Chillicothe Gazette - www.chillicothegazette.com - Chillicothe, OH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
This has been going on for several decades. The only way to really stop it is to put the military on the border, and unfortunately neither Bush or anyone else in Washington has the leadership or courage necessary to do what needs to be done. We currently have thousands of illegals crossing over every single day. Many, as has been pointed out in other threads, are extremely violent criminals and drug smugglers. Knowing all this what does Bush do? He arrests border patrol agents and throws them in prison. What's going to happen when the democrats control both the congress and the presidency? They'll probably start selling citizenship's down at the local 7-11.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
A very sad scenario, John

Due to the approval and support from the wonderful Mexican Government, the ILLEGALS are actually proud of their accomplishments. Entering this country illegally has become somewhat of a sport mainly because the penalty, if any, is a big joke.

A "shoot to kill" policy for our Border Patrol Agents would curtail this blatant disrespect immediately.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
For those posters who try to frame the issue as liberal Democrats supporting illegals, please note that the author of the article was identified as:

Zack Space, D-Dover, representing Ohio's 18th Congressional District, including Chillicothe

Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
For those posters who try to frame the issue as liberal Democrats supporting illegals, please note that the author of the article was identified as:

Zack Space, D-Dover, representing Ohio's 18th Congressional District, including Chillicothe
Actually, as my post indicates above both sides are catering to illegal aliens. However in the interest of fairness, it does need to be said liberal democrats favor illegal aliens being here far more than republicans do. Just look at the way the border fence votes have gone. At best most democrats favor an imaginary or virtual fence over an actual one. Once in a while you will find a democrat that actually favors a hard line stance on the border, but not too often. They are definately a minority in the democratic party.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Seeing someone cross the U.S/Mexico border is no rare site. I've seen video of this man crossing el rio grande every morning to go to work. He would take off all his clothes, put it in a bag, throw it over and then swim across. He had a job at a local fast food restaurant. This video was filmed by border patrol agents. They know the guy and have caught him several times. There's nothing really they can do anymore but to just let him go since he keeps being deported back to his home. The only way to keep them out is with a gun to their face-- yet the Government will never allow it.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM

377 posts, read 684,745 times
1. This country was built virtually in a cheap labor model. E.g.,

a) Slavery; This form of labor was used at an early time in Europe and in European Colonies around the world. This form of labor was later used and adopted in the U.S.A. This was continued even after the seven Colonies become independent from Britain.
b) Share Cropping; this form of indirect slavery was used primarily after the civil war in southern states of the U.S.A. The share croppers were trapped in a financial dilemma that was usually difficult to escape from.
c) Illegal Immigrant Labor: This is another form of slavery altogether where by the worker doesn’t have many or any rights e.g, Workman Compensation for injuries acquired in the job, any representation whatsoever at the job, or even any paid vacation or sick leave pay.

2. The new American family as we know it is degenerating. E.g.,

a) Women are becoming more independent and more carrier oriented in the U.S. And for that matter, there are less Women having children and playing the mothers typical role as we once new it. I guess it’s typical in most countries to expect there daughters to aim high and achieve a degree. I know I would….
b) The feminists movement hasn’t helped much with the gender issue either.
c) Many people have been rendered useless by society in the U.S. due to drugs, alcohol, crime and mental problems caused by family brake-up or brake-down.
d) For that matter, The U.S. really cannot compete with the rest of the world if it cant produce a decent supply of productive citizens.

3. And not least, there is a bunch of politicians or political connected individuals in labor from both sides of the border who will and have made a killing in the labor industry. From the early times of this world slavery was there and will continue be here one way or another regardless of what people call it.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Swordfish Slave labor = forced labor. Nobody is forcing illegals to cross the border and lowball work. They made that choice themselves. True they dont get workmans comp or paid vacation or sick days. Nor do they pay into such programs. Paid vacation isnt a right its a benifit. Small business owners dont either. They save up for vacation.
The US competes with the world everyday. We make some of the most advanced cutting edge products in the world. What hurts the US more than anything is our Gov who allows other countries to steal our patented ideas and reproduce cheaper inferior copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration