U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,702,450 times

Advertisements

U.S. intel center wary of terrorist attack*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper (http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071125/NATION/71125002/-1/RSS_FP - broken link)

Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,232,940 times
Goes back to the reasons for the $1.4 billion in aid to Mexico to fight the drug lords. This is a discussion we have had a few times these past few weeks.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:37 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Giving money to Mexico will never solve any sort of problems, drugs or otherwise. The government is corrupt. It has been corrupt nearly since its inception and until the people of Mexico decide that they have had enough of the status quo and stage some sort of revolution, throwing money, especially American tax dollars, at any problem originating in or fostered by Mexico can be likened to running one's head into a brick wall--repeatedly.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Default DIVERSIFICATION is the Name of the Game

It's always wise, when running a business, to keep one's eyes open on ways to "diversify" and thus spread the risk, while maximizing profits.. Amtrak carries freight cars on some of their long-distance trains to augment their revenue. Greyhound has a parcel service, a well, and in Mexico, for some reason, just about every hardware store, in addition to hardware, also sells vanilla. That's "diversification".

It only makes sense to me that if you're running drugs over the border, why not pick up a few well-financed human passengers as well? It's a lot easier to get HUMANS into the US than drugs, and the penalties are probably much lighter, too. Just equip your Middle Eastern terrorist clients with baseball caps, plastic water jugs, and convince them to shave off their beards, and PRESTO...you've got an instant group of workers, headed for "el Norte" to seek employment as landscapers. (make sure you don't let them "talk to strangers" along the way, though. Some of them have problems understanding Spanish....and they don't even know enough to "cross themselves" when passing a Catholic Church.....dead giveaway...

Old 11-26-2007, 09:51 AM

9,309 posts, read 25,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Goes back to the reasons for the $1.4 billion in aid to Mexico to fight the drug lords. This is a discussion we have had a few times these past few weeks.
In the "perfect world" I would agree, NewToCA

However, giving billions to the Corrupt Mexican Government is a joke. In fact, much of the money ends up in the hands of the smugglers (both drugs and human) . . . how ridiculous is that?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM

You're more pessimistic than I am, it seems like a decent start of a cooperative approach to me.

Here is a transcript of a briefing and press conference held in October by a high ranking State Dept official discussing the program:

The Mexico/Central America Security Cooperation Package (http://www.state.gov/p/wha/rls/rm/07/q4/93955.htm - broken link)

Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM

9,309 posts, read 25,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You're more pessimistic than I am, it seems like a decent start of a cooperative approach to me.

Here is a transcript of a briefing and press conference held in October by a high ranking State Dept official discussing the program:

The Mexico/Central America Security Cooperation Package (http://www.state.gov/p/wha/rls/rm/07/q4/93955.htm - broken link)
Very interesting article, NewToCA . . . I wonder how many of those present have ever been down to The Border?

Would you not agree the ONE BILLION PLUS DOLLARS would be better spent enforcing the defense on our side where at least we have some accountability . . . The Wall as well as more Border Patrol Agents, etc?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very interesting article, NewToCA . . . I wonder how many of those present have ever been down to The Border?

Would you not agree the ONE BILLION PLUS DOLLARS would be better spent enforcing the defense on our side where at least we have some accountability . . . The Wall as well as more Border Patrol Agents, etc?
Not really, I think you need a combination of approaches to start to beat back the drug lord problem. I think you need to strengthen the border, and also eradicate the problem at the source. Mexico has already made an investment of over $3 billion to combat this problem, and they have some legitimate resentment in that the drug lords moved from Columbia to Mexico to make their distribution point closer to the end user US citizens.

These drug lords are really "free agents", not paying taxes to any nation. They just set up shop where most convenient, and intimidate the opposition. They have killed quite a few journalist in Mexico, to keep the papers and TV from reporting on the story. It is really as much of a US problem as Mexican, and working in partnership to eliminate these folks is the best way to go.

A fence only does so much. Going through the air and in from the ocean isn't all that difficult or inconvenient, considering the massive profit and distribution networks.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,376,720 times
Thumbs down This 100% Bush, the open borders crowd, and the Democrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
U.S. intel center wary of terrorist attack - - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper (http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071125/NATION/71125002/-1/RSS_FP - broken link)
I saw that and I will blame that 100% people like McCain, Bush, Ted Kennedy, and the Clintons for REFUSING to secure our borders.

The GOP has done everything it could, from pushing the Border Fence Act (Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter, both Republicans) wanted to secure the border, the law was SIGNED INTO LAW, and Bush, the open borders lawsuit team, and the Democrats have done EVERYTHING they can NOT to build the fence and to contiunue the insanity.

Now the damn terrorits have crossed through or will cross through soon with explosives and AMERICANS will die because we have a bunch in Washington DC and lawyers from the ACLU and La Raza suing to keep the borders open.

To Hell with these people. May the blood of victims be on the hands of the open borders crowd, and that includes Bush and McCain!!!

Folks, you have NO IDEA how ANGRY I am at Bush and the liberals who continue to push their corrupt agendas of illegal aliens, amnesties, and open borders against the security of Americans!! Don't these dumb asses know that if a terrorist attack takes place in US, the economy will hit the toilet as it did after 9/11?? ? ?

Go to hell you stupid liberals and trial lawyers. I will not volunteer 10 hours of my weekends from Super Tuesday to Nov 2, 2008 and HELP the candidates who will close the damn border and end illegal immigration. *********, special interest groups!!

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-26-2007 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: language

Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I saw that and I will blame that 100% people like McCain, Bush, Ted Kennedy, and the Clintons for REFUSING to secure our borders.

The GOP has done everything it could, from pushing the Border Fence Act (Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter, both Republicans) wanted to secure the border, the law was SIGNED INTO LAW, and Bush, the open borders lawsuit team, and the Democrats have done EVERYTHING they can NOT to build the fence and to contiunue the insanity.

Now the damn terrorits have crossed through or will cross through soon with explosives and AMERICANS will die because we have a bunch in Washington DC and lawyers from the ACLU and La Raza suing to keep the borders open.

To Hell with these people. May the blood of victims be on the hands of the open borders crowd, and that includes Bush and McCain!!!

Folks, you have NO IDEA how ANGRY I am at Bush and the liberals who continue to push their corrupt agendas of illegal aliens, amnesties, and open borders against the security of Americans!! Don't these dumb asses know that if a terrorist attack takes place in US, the economy will hit the toilet as it did after 9/11?? ? ?

Go to hell you stupid liberals and trial lawyers. I will not volunteer 10 hours of my weekends from Super Tuesday to Nov 2, 2008 and HELP the candidates who will close the damn border and end illegal immigration. *********, special interest groups!!
I worry somewhat about your blood pressure, but I do agree with you. As I've often said, "Political Correctness isn't only naive, dishonest and silly--Political Correctness someday is going to KILL US". Any 6-year old could tell you that "If you don't check who's coming over the border, then, by definition, you don't know who they ARE....and if you don't know who they ARE, then, by definition, they could be ANYBODY"....pretty simple to me, but our leaders just won't "discuss" it. They're AFRAID to bring it up.

Someday, some spineless soul will answer for this HUGE dereliction of duty. Trouble is, when he "goes down", we'll all go with him.

One morning we'll all wake up, turn on the TV, and find that Denver---or Kansas City---simply no longer exist. Then we'll do a STUDY of how the "bad guys" who did this horrific act were able to GET here, and--sure enough---we'll find out that they "walked in" over the border. And we'll rant, rave, curse, fume, and trade accusations, and wonder "why wasn't something DONE ABOUT this?"..Then, in a month or so, we'll get back to "business as usual". Life will be normal, except that we'll just be missing "one city"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or