U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 AM

36,088 posts, read 16,129,553 times

Advertisements

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. —
A dozen men and women who worked at the Walnut Creek Target store claim they were unfairly fired last month and they want their jobs back.The former Target employees told KTVU a total of 45 people -- all Latino -- were let go.
Company officials asked them to provide paperwork proving their immigration status and ordered them not to return to work until further notice.

Workers Fired From Walnut Creek Target Store Cry Foul | www.ktvu.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,334,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. —
A dozen men and women who worked at the Walnut Creek Target store claim they were unfairly fired last month and they want their jobs back.The former Target employees told KTVU a total of 45 people -- all Latino -- were let go.
Company officials asked them to provide paperwork proving their immigration status and ordered them not to return to work until further notice.

Workers Fired From Walnut Creek Target Store Cry Foul | www.ktvu.com
Why are they trying the make the case about racism when all they have to do is provide legal documentation for work?

Its easy to distract from the source of the problem when your'e at fault.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,194,328 times
Very simple..show them proof that you are a citizen.

Unloading trucks and stocking shelves for 20 years ?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why are they trying the make the case about racism when all they have to do is provide legal documentation for work?

Its easy to distract from the source of the problem when your'e at fault.
One person did return home and come back with some paperwork and Target said to wait for a phone call but they were apparently fired anyway. I suspect that the paperwork was fraudulent. Since none of the others were mentioned in the article as having provided paperwork as requested by Target I also suspect that the only paperwork they had was fraudulent also. I'd like to see where this story ends up going.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lawsuit is filed on behalf of these workers claiming racism/racial profiling against them simply because they were all Latinos. It would be predictable.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 AM

423 posts, read 360,199 times
Glad to hear it. I wish more companies would take on that attitude. However it would be nice if they'd have vetted these people a little better from the get-go

Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
Glad to hear it. I wish more companies would take on that attitude. However it would be nice if they'd have vetted these people a little better from the get-go
My son applied to Target and there was lots of paperwork, background check, drug test and several rounds of interviews (I had to take him to all of these).

He told me that there were less and less people showing up after every part.
In the end though they offered him a job unloading the trucks on third shift and I convinced him NOT to take that job (not at 18 and going to college).

It does ask you for your SS number and if you are a citizen on the application.
I guess they just take your word for it ?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
You're right. I doubt that Target uses e-verify or maybe they do now but didn't when these people were hired. Illegal aliens present some pretty authentic looking fraudulent documents to gain employment. Not to get off topic but how else would that detective that was posted about under another topic been able to attain work as a LE person?

Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM

11,898 posts, read 5,635,882 times
Chains like this occasionally get Immigration audits or even IRS audits.
The DOJ then brings a lawsuit against them for 'breaking the Immigration Laws' - it's a great money making scheme for the Government.

Several years ago the Chipotle chain and Whole Foods were 'audited'. 450 were fired from Chipotle.

Quote:
It's unclear to us why they targeted these particular Latino workers. What was the rational for this action?
Why? It's the Law (whenever the Fed's decide to enforce the Law)
Rational? - Money for the Government

Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,402,919 times
They need to be deported also. They shouldn't still be here complaining, they should be home applying for jobs there.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM

So why didn't that interviewer ASK if they were legal citizens ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or