U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times

Advertisements

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:01 am Post subject: Elvira Arellano protests outside U.S. embassy in Mexico City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO:

YouTube - Elvira protests outside U.S. embassy in Mexico city.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mexico, November 26 (EFE) .- The Mexican activist Elvira Arellano today began a protest indefinitely front of the embassy of USA in Mexico, to require the American government to suspend raids and deportations of Mexicans in that country.

Arellano, who says that maintaining a hunger strike since ten days ago, began her protest "peaceful", accompanied by nearly a dozen members of the Network of Women in Mexico City. Arellano, who says that maintaining a hunger strike since ten days ago, began her protest "peaceful", accompanied by nearly a dozen members of the Network of Women in Mexico City.

A thirty riot police arrived at the scene to remove the activist...MOD CUT

hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/efe/20071127/twl-la-activista-elvira-arellano-inicia-e1e34ad_1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=resul t&prev=/search%3Fq%3Delvira%2Barellano%2Bembajada%26hl%3De n%26pwst%3D1]Translated version of http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/efe/20071127/twl-la-activista-elvira-arellano-inicia-e1e34ad_1.html[/url]

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-27-2007 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: link, don't copy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:01 am Post subject: Elvira Arellano protests outside U.S. embassy in Mexico City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO:

YouTube - Elvira protests outside U.S. embassy in Mexico city.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mexico, November 26 (EFE) .- The Mexican activist Elvira Arellano today began a protest indefinitely front of the embassy of USA in Mexico, to require the American government to suspend raids and deportations of Mexicans in that country.

Arellano, who says that maintaining a hunger strike since ten days ago, began her protest "peaceful", accompanied by nearly a dozen members of the Network of Women in Mexico City. Arellano, who says that maintaining a hunger strike since ten days ago, began her protest "peaceful", accompanied by nearly a dozen members of the Network of Women in Mexico City.

A thirty riot police arrived at the scene to remove the activist...MOD CUT

hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/efe/20071127/twl-la-activista-elvira-arellano-inicia-e1e34ad_1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=resul t&prev=/search%3Fq%3Delvira%2Barellano%2Bembajada%26hl%3De n%26pwst%3D1]Translated version of http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/efe/20071127/twl-la-activista-elvira-arellano-inicia-e1e34ad_1.html[/url]
Incredible. She should be protesting the Mexican governmant. That is the gov't that limits the opportunities for people like her. Why should the US have to take her in?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
It's strange she would protest in front of the US embassy. She criminally sneaked into the US and stole a job and an ID because of lack of opportunities in Mexico. I'd think she would be protesting in front of a Mexican politicians office demanding change.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM

323 posts, read 663,217 times
I don't think she would. 1) She may be shot. 2) She would disappear and never cause another problem.

She would never do that to the Mexican goverment. She's too afraid.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
I don't think she would. 1) She may be shot. 2) She would disappear and never cause another problem.

I agree.

Note too that she may be trying to weasel her way back here screaming 'political asylum'.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:

Sounds like a GOOD THING to me, Starwalker! ! ! ! !

Old 11-28-2007, 05:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:

Do you really believe that my friend?

LOL let me show you some pictures of marches here, I live in the city of marches LOL because is the capital and the government offices are here.

Source: Blogzote.com

People here are protesting, against the reforms to social security.

in these one people is protesting for the "fraud" to lopez obrador (he's the guy with the gray hair)

source: Mark in Mexico

This manifestation is because police had to enter into a town that kidnapped the city hall and created their own government, originally Fox let them because he didn't want to appear as repressive, but they were getting more violent and out of control (see the machetes)

source: Gatopardo

This march was to ask for the freedom of the people who commited violent acts on the past march (those with the machetes)

source: http://plantonsantiaguito.lunasexta.org

This is a gay pride march in the city's main square

source: Recorriendo el DF, Noticias de la Ciudad de Mexico | DFinitivo

This march is against Mexico's teacher's syndicate corrupt leader (she's the lion and the president is jumping on the hook)

source: Revoluciones: el cambio empieza en ti

http://www.revoluciones.org/fotos/01marcha020507.jpg (broken link)

I don't know what this march was for, but it was a march

source La Crónica de Hoy / 28 de Noviembre de 2007

http://www.cronica.com.mx/nimagenes/1/56cba2cc91.jpg (broken link)

Look how tolerant Mexico's government is, when Obrador lost the elections he said that they robbed him and he made his own ceremony to become "president" LOL the government said that in a democracy everybody has freedom of speech, and what he did lacked any officiality

source: http://fotos.eluniversal.com.mx/web (broken link)

Look the magnitude of some marches

source: BBC NEWS | News Front Page

source: ImageShack 404 File not Found (broken link)

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-28-2007 at 05:19 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
I think you are right travelling fella. She isn't afraid of her government. She does, however, know which purse string to pull to advance the kind of change that she wants. In my opinion, this person is just trying to make herself into an "advocate" for illegal immigrants rights. She may very well be trying to garner political asylum in the U.S.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM

436 posts, read 575,401 times
As long as her sorry butt is outside of this country, I don't care where she protests

Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think you are right travelling fella. She isn't afraid of her government. She does, however, know which purse string to pull to advance the kind of change that she wants. In my opinion, this person is just trying to make herself into an "advocate" for illegal immigrants rights. She may very well be trying to garner political asylum in the U.S.
I believe the same, but well imho she has a right if it's done peacefuly and in her country, what do you think? hmmm maybe if immigrants would do this in mexico and demanded for a more progressive immigration policy it would yield better results.

she's got iniciative at least, maybe these actions awaken something deeper within her, maybe not, only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration