Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times

Advertisements

Illegal is illegal. There are no exceptions. Isn't that what the legal system is all about? Applying the law across the board? Sob stories do not make a difference. In case you haven't noticed, life isn't what we might consider fair, even to us legal citizens. But it can and should remain lawful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
To me, the main item in the story is that she has been here since age 8, and I don't think she made a decision to come here on her own. She is really a victim here of her parent decisions.
Time spent illegally in the US as a minor does not "count" against you; ICE usually considers you deportable after you've overstayed a visa for more than six months or if you're over 18 and have been here illegally 6 months after your 18th birthday, so she's clearly deportable.

This girl should have returned to Mexico when she turned 18 if she wanted to follow the laws of the United States. She had that choice. She didn't do it. She's responsible for her illegal status now, and should be blaming her parents for putting her in the situation of having to choose to remain here illegally or returning to a country she hasn't seen in over ten years. It's not our fault, and I refuse to feel guilty for it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
She should be mad at her parents then. They are the ones who showed a lack of morals and no family values by oputting her into a situation of being an illegal and a criminal.
Yes. She needs to ask her parents why they put her in this situation instead of running to the media.

Quote:
A 20-year-old college student, Alejandra Trujillo, is probably going to be deported after being arrested on misdemeanor fraud charges on Nov. 16.

Her academic advisor, Brenda Maldonado, said it's also true that Trujillo is a student leader at Portland Community College's Rock Creek campus, giving back to her community by mentoring Latino youth to set high goals and achieve success through higher education.

Unfortunately, she produced incorrect identification when she went to have her driver's license renewed at the Hillsboro Department of Motor Vehicles' office.
So she came to the attention of ICE when she tried to get a driver's license renewed using a fake ID, which is not a very smart thing to do. "Unfortunately, she produced incorrect identification..." What do you mean 'unfortunately'? She knew she had a fake ID and since she had gotten away with using it before, she assumed she could continue to do so.

Quote:
While not blaming judges, she says they have been conditioned to inquire about the ICE status of Hispanics during court appearances.

"(They don't) ask every white person, or every black or Asian," Maldonado said.
Then her supporters pull out the race card- surprise! Next they will call MALDEF, La Raza and all the other ethnic advocacy groups. If they haven't done so already.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
Quote:
A 20-year-old college student, Alejandra Trujillo, is probably going to be deported after being arrested on misdemeanor fraud charges on Nov. 16.

Model Citizen

Fraudulent citizen is more like it. She is an adult now, responsible for her own actions. Where are these parents who put her in this situation? They should be deported right along with her if they are still living here.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
"Her academic advisor, Brenda Maldonado, said it's also true that Trujillo is a student leader at Portland Community College's Rock Creek campus, giving back to her community by mentoring Latino youth to set high goals and achieve success through higher education."

I thought that was a nice touch.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"Her academic advisor, Brenda Maldonado, said it's also true that Trujillo is a student leader at Portland Community College's Rock Creek campus, giving back to her community by mentoring Latino youth to set high goals and achieve success through higher education."

I thought that was a nice touch.
Yep...not youth. LATINO youth. When I was in college I did some volunteer work, mostly tutoring junior high and high school students. I didn't pick and choose who I helped on the basis of color or ethnicity. I'm white, so maybe I should have just helped the white kids and left the Latino kids for the Latino volunteers? Nah...I'll just help whoever NEEDS help.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM

26 posts, read 30,366 times
Wait, I don't get it.

Was she here legally or illegally??

And as far as her mentoring Latino Youth; I have this to say.

I believe racial profiling is wrong. I am against Affirmative Action because things like that only serve to drive the racial divides in this country deeper.'

HOWEVER: I don't think that any of us can really argue against the fact that many minorities such as African Americans and Non-White Hispanics are in low socioeconomic situations...many times at no fault of their own. With that said, given their underprivlidged status and high temptation for drugs and gangs I see no harm in mentoring those kids in the right direction.

On that note; I have always advocated University scholarships based on your income and not on your race. There should be no "black or Latino scholarships" but "low income scholarships" because not all African Americans or Latinos are poor. We should help the poor in this country, regardless if they are white, black, hispanic, or asian.

So, I'm just playing the devils advocate here. I hate racial divides as much as the next guy but I also understand the whole Latino Mentoring thing to a degree.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yep...not youth. LATINO youth. When I was in college I did some volunteer work, mostly tutoring junior high and high school students. I didn't pick and choose who I helped on the basis of color or ethnicity. I'm white, so maybe I should have just helped the white kids and left the Latino kids for the Latino volunteers? Nah...I'll just help whoever NEEDS help.

If you had done that, you would have been called racist.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
How are you a model citizen if your breaking the law?

That is a contradiction in terms.
Rosa Parks, for one. She was a criminal for not following the Jim Crow laws. Sit-in participants are another. They are lawbreakers too for breaking the same Jim Crow laws.

The law can be used as a tool of oppression. Keep doing that and the law is useless as a guide for justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Time spent illegally in the US as a minor does not "count" against you; ICE usually considers you deportable after you've overstayed a visa for more than six months or if you're over 18 and have been here illegally 6 months after your 18th birthday, so she's clearly deportable.

This girl should have returned to Mexico when she turned 18 if she wanted to follow the laws of the United States. She had that choice. She didn't do it. She's responsible for her illegal status now, and should be blaming her parents for putting her in the situation of having to choose to remain here illegally or returning to a country she hasn't seen in over ten years. It's not our fault, and I refuse to feel guilty for it.
Sounds like ICE is in the grocery store picking ripe fruit. The girl might not be able to adapt to life in Mexico--doesn't Mike Huckabee agree with that statement?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,403 times
nobody knows any model citizens? cant name one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration