Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 PM

89 posts, read 118,902 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid that I was a little too hasty yesterday in lashing out and blaming you all for being so anti-illegal immigration. Trust me, I know how you feel. If Ireland were invaded by millions of Brits, I think I'd feel the same way!

I do have a soft spot for those Mexicans though, stemming from my time living in Los Angeles. I would often venture into East LA for a dodgy burrito (that'd give me major stomach problems) and to see my friends Juan-Pablo, Jose and Hector. They would shout at me "olele vato!" (or something like that) and I'd sit with them for a while, chatting about stuff, although I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me - the "crazy white man". I miss my dodgy burritos swimming in fat, the bachata music, the reggaetron and drinking Coronas with my friends.

I do understand the problem with illegal immigration though, but you people really need to take it up with your government (in order for them to tighten border controls) and employers need to be punished heavily (or even shut down) if they are found to be employing illegals. Still, you can't completely blame the immigrants themselves. Say, if you were born in a shack in Tijuana and had America on your doorstep, wouldn't you try to do everything in your power (for your sake and for your family's sake) to start a new life?

Well, build a huge-arse steel wall with bells and whistles on top or something and bring all of your troops home from Iraq and have them guard your borders.

Oh well, I traded Corona for Guinness and dodgy burritos and soft tacos for Irish stew, but I really wish we had Taco Bell over here. Perhaps you should send some of your best Mexicans over here as there's a real lack of Mexican food in Ireland. I do plan on investing in a low rider, some chains and a wife-beater shirt as I want to be the first to bring some East LA flavour to tranquil Cork City, along with some of that reggaetron music.

Anyway, rock on...have a Guinness on me...the crazy, drunk-posting Irishman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM

1,511 posts, read 977,740 times
its orale (oh-rah-lay) vato. it basically means "whats up, dude"...

and its reggaeTON (not tron). no big deal, just thought id let you know.

peace.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Heck: one of your Irish leaders has a US born 'Hispanic'------Eamon de Valera.

As for your genuine Mexican food fix------try over in London the Mestizo Restaurant.

Yes; I know it is in England, it will not kill you

Besides: there are actually things like RHD 1964 Chevy Impala's over in the UK if you want to go true 'vato'

Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM

402 posts, read 1,060,869 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should send some of your best Mexicans over here as there's a real lack of Mexican food in Ireland. I do plan on investing in a low rider, some chains and a wife-beater shirt as I want to be the first to bring some East LA flavour to tranquil Cork City, along with some of that reggaetron music.
You want all these illegals? come get them (at your expense) however I doubt seriously your countryman/women will be appreciative when they get there. Better buy some running shoes (with wings) to go with your new outfit. You'll be needing them when word gets out they are on their way.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Thanks for the cyber round of Guinness, and fathoming other points of view as expressed here. Watch out, I'm gonna stereotype... I've always thought the Irish are the most intelligent ones in that sector of the world-- so many great modern writers !!!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
I'm afraid that I was a little too hasty yesterday in lashing out and blaming you all for being so anti-illegal immigration. Trust me, I know how you feel. If Ireland were invaded by millions of Brits, I think I'd feel the same way!

I do have a soft spot for those Mexicans though, stemming from my time living in Los Angeles. I would often venture into East LA for a dodgy burrito (that'd give me major stomach problems) and to see my friends Juan-Pablo, Jose and Hector. They would shout at me "olele vato!" (or something like that) and I'd sit with them for a while, chatting about stuff, although I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me - the "crazy white man". I miss my dodgy burritos swimming in fat, the bachata music, the reggaetron and drinking Coronas with my friends.

I do understand the problem with illegal immigration though, but you people really need to take it up with your government (in order for them to tighten border controls) and employers need to be punished heavily (or even shut down) if they are found to be employing illegals. Still, you can't completely blame the immigrants themselves. Say, if you were born in a shack in Tijuana and had America on your doorstep, wouldn't you try to do everything in your power (for your sake and for your family's sake) to start a new life?

Well, build a huge-arse steel wall with bells and whistles on top or something and bring all of your troops home from Iraq and have them guard your borders.

Oh well, I traded Corona for Guinness and dodgy burritos and soft tacos for Irish stew, but I really wish we had Taco Bell over here. Perhaps you should send some of your best Mexicans over here as there's a real lack of Mexican food in Ireland. I do plan on investing in a low rider, some chains and a wife-beater shirt as I want to be the first to bring some East LA flavour to tranquil Cork City, along with some of that reggaetron music.

I think the reason people are so pissed at the illegals is because the government has repeatedly failed to do anything about the problem, with some wanting to give them amnesty (which many of us feel would exacerbate the problem) and not nearly enough of them wanting to deport the lot of them.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post

What you lack in Mexican food you make up for in Mexican ex-Presidents. Pres. Carlos Salinas de Gortari lives in Ireland (or DID)....he was having legal problems back home.

If he's not busy these days, he may want to meet you for lunch. You'll probably get an "ear full" of stories..

Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
its orale (oh-rah-lay) vato. it basically means "whats up, dude"...

and its reggaeTON (not tron). no big deal, just thought id let you know.

peace.
I always thought it was reggaetron and I'm a big fan of Don Omars and Daddee Wankee.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
What you lack in Mexican food you make up for in Mexican ex-Presidents. Pres. Carlos Salinas de Gortari lives in Ireland (or DID)....he was having legal problems back home.

If he's not busy these days, he may want to meet you for lunch. You'll probably get an "ear full" of stories..
I'll have to look him up!

Does he live in Cork? I'd love to wax lyrical with him over a nice warm pint of stout. Perhaps he'll make me a burrito, just like those wonderful burritos I enjoyed in East LA?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I think the reason people are so pissed at the illegals is because the government has repeatedly failed to do anything about the problem, with some wanting to give them amnesty (which many of us feel would exacerbate the problem) and not nearly enough of them wanting to deport the lot of them.
I'd be pissed off about that too. Seriously, you guys need to get the message across to your government so that they take notice and tighten border security. The only reason that illegal immigrants come to the United States is because they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration