U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM

88 posts, read 240,220 times

Advertisements

faces rising costs linked to higher poverty rates, lower educational achievement and lack of medical insurance that plague those families, according to a report released today. Orlando Sentinel today Section B for Local and State.
FLORIDA TRAILS ONLY CALIFORNIA AND NEW YORK in the size of it's immigrant population.
It tells how much they rely more on government assistance than the native born ones and 27% of them receive government assistance. For the illegal ones it rose to 37%.
Now do you people still want to move to ORLANDO or FLORIDA at all? Are you sure? Keeping you out of towners tuned into reality not what Careerbuilder tries to portray with false jobs online, the Chamber of Commerce, Disney (tourism industry) would have you believe. true blue, moonbeam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM

169 posts, read 594,952 times
Government Handouts is expected from "todays" immigrant's who as a whole are a far cry from the immigrant's in the early 20th century who actually had goals to learn english and assimilate. This is breaking news: We've finally done it, we've officially become a "diverse" nation. In addition, at last check we've gone from 1 to 162 in the World Power rankings and the American Dollar has never been worse less. Congratulations AMERICA!!! You've earned it.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,787,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
Government Handouts is expected from "todays" immigrant's who as a whole are a far cry from the immigrant's in the early 20th century who actually had goals to learn english and assimilate.
My uncle married an Asian woman he met while he was overseas and I remember how hard she tried to learn English and while she does maintain pride for her culture and heritage, she is happy to be an American.

It always confuses me when I run across people, who speak very little English and have no desire to learn and seem to hate everything American. I always wonder; what are you doing here?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:08 PM

544 posts, read 918,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It always confuses me when I run across people, who speak very little English and have no desire to learn and seem to hate everything American. I always wonder; what are you doing here?
because the govt has made it easy for them to open hair stores, gas stations and liquor stores. So while you spent 13 years in school, more if you went to college, Abu can come over here, not speak a lick of English other than "i want no trouble" and get on govt assistance until he has enough to open a nice lil corner store on Parramore.

Welcome to America.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 AM

143 posts, read 576,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
because the govt has made it easy for them to open hair stores, gas stations and liquor stores. So while you spent 13 years in school, more if you went to college, Abu can come over here, not speak a lick of English other than "i want no trouble" and get on govt assistance until he has enough to open a nice lil corner store on Parramore.

Welcome to America.
I'll admit, we need some imigration reform, but I don't think its the shop owners who are the problem. I could be wrong, but I think they are doing OK without gov't assistance. And besides, they are contributing to their community. As for reform, I think most americans would agree (once again, I could be wrong), that we shouldn't give federal assistance to illegal imigrants, with the exception of medical care. There are plenty of pirvate orginizations who will do so. Frankly, they're not all bad, becuase the cheap labor benfits us all, whether we know it or not. Without them, we would all be paying more for fruit, roofs, and roads. Sure, americans would do the job, but not at the same price. And the american fruit pickers and road workers are finding alternative, probably better work, because unemployment is at 3-4%

If you really want to fix illegal immigration, set the minimum wage for those with a green card at $2, then raise the fines for companies who hire illegals. With a minimum wage of $2, the companies will have no incentive to hire illegals, and without the employment or gov't assistance, there will be less incentive for illegals to come over here. The $2 may sound heartless, but thats already what they are getting paid anyways. We keep our cheap labor, and limit the flow of illegals.

Just an idea that will never come to realization.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,336,221 times
Default To: kingouix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
Government Handouts is expected from "todays" immigrant's who as a whole are a far cry from the immigrant's in the early 20th century who actually had goals to learn english and assimilate. This is breaking news: We've finally done it, we've officially become a "diverse" nation. In addition, at last check we've gone from 1 to 162 in the World Power rankings and the American Dollar has never been worse less. Congratulations AMERICA!!! You've earned it.
I think you need to read Glen Beck's new book. It will expose you to other perspectives. Blame your current government for all the problems on immigration.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,336,221 times
Default To: AtLater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post

Welcome to America.
As a clinical psychologist, I worked with many disadvantaged families immigrants and non. In all my 35 years' of service, I never met a family who was able to open a store, with the help of the government. What these families are given is soooo basic, that after paying rent and food, there is nothing else left. Many of these families, are female-headed-households, with children. Some of these females had to resort to their present relationships, (with their males partners, who only stay temporarily until they get what they are after) in order to buy their children toys and clothing. Many of them are unable to work because they cannot pay for their children to be cared for, and there is no help for that. Even when many of them wanted to upgrade themselves and get more education in order to learn English, and get better jobs, the help was not available. Many of them, who were lucky enough to get babysitters and work at jobs at the minimum wage, were not able to hold them because children do get sick often when they are small, and after taxes, there was nothing left. Is easy to generalize when one does not know the facts. "Abu," may have been doing illegal things to get his money to open up a store. He certainly did not get it through the government!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
I was born, raised and still live in south Florida. This area has been destroyed by relentless immigration. It started in the 60's before I was born. Cuban refugees from the dictator Castro were the first group. but they were only going to be here temporarily, till Castro was out of power. Well at least many were hard workers....things remained OK for a while. Next the US economy faltered after Peak Oil, the trade deficit brought in foreign investors, especially Arabs who began to drive up the cost of some property. Many got a reputation for being corrupt, and many businesses faltered. Things stabilized by the late 70's. In 1980 or so everything changed. Castro allowed all his undesireables to flee to Florida, and a huge invasion called the Mariel Boatlift took place. This established a foothold of Spanish speaking immigrants that overwhelmed neighborhoods and began the unstoppable decline of Florida. These refugees included many criminals and were from a communist country where the corruption and deceit were necessary to survive. The 80's were a time of rampant crime, drug dealing and Miami Vice. Rivers of dirty money created the real estate bubble that has since overtaken the entire state of Florida. Yet most of these people were "legal" immigrants because of a special promise from the US government to Cuban citizens, after all they were escaping an enemy nation ruled by a brutal dictator. The concentration of people who speak Spanish attracted other refugees from Central America. Rich Venezuelans and others found Miami a safe place to funnel their profits. This was the case in many rich, but unstable Latin American countries. This created a dual economy in Miami, one local and the other from foreign money. It has become so bad that only the fortunate few, or criminals can afford a good standard of living anywhere in South Florida.

Unlike most areas the majority of problems in Miami are from LEGAL immigrants. The sheer volume of them has pushed south Florida to build-out. Poor refugees from Haiti, while largely repatriated exist in areas around the immigration office. Poverty exists steps from affluence, a true sign of a Latin American country. Anyone who wants to see what massive immigration can do, come to Miami. It is like a whole other country, because it is.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
My uncle married an Asian woman he met while he was overseas and I remember how hard she tried to learn English and while she does maintain pride for her culture and heritage, she is happy to be an American.

It isn't really not a desire to learn English. They have families to support and a job to maintain. They really have no time to learn English. And if they hate America so much, they wouldn't be making mine and your hamburgers for minimum wage.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,971,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
It isn't really not a desire to learn English. They have families to support and a job to maintain. They really have no time to learn English. And if they hate America so much, they wouldn't be making mine and your hamburgers for minimum wage.
I don't want them making my hamburgers. I'd rather pay more for a hamburger made by an American who gives a ***** about this country.

Today my BF and I went to Firehouse Subs and the owner of the franchise was right there behind the counter. The place was spotless and the food was fantastic; service was outstanding. Everbody working there was American. Go to a place like Quizno's or Subway and it's full of H2 visa holders or illegals...could be one or the other really...and the service sucks. They don't give a *****, they're only there to send money home and suckle off this country's teat. If things go ****-up in this country they can just stroll back across the border. We Americans have to go down with the ship. That makes a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or