Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What bothers you the most of illegal immigrants?
The fact they are here illegally, the violated my border, stole a SS #, etc you know? 56 75.68%
I wouldn't mind if they were well behaved and tried to adapt, it's their actions! 18 24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
I didn't allude to a 'card game'.

What does or does not 'fly' with you has nothing to do with what I stated.

You want to say you aren't racist, that's something you can do.

But there's no dismissing the overt racism attached to this issue by attempting to pass it off as someone 'playing a card'.

The racism doesn't disappear because you want to frame it with a talking point.
Perhaps his point was that the only time race is brought up in this forum is by pro-illegals like yourself. NOT ONCE have I read someone saying they hate Mexicans, or they don't want Mexicans here. They say they don't want ILLEGALS here. People on here are tired of being labelled racist because they are against illegal immigration when it has absolutely NOTHING do with race, it has to do with people not respecting our country's laws or sovereignty. Most people on here are intelligent enough to know the difference. Am I supposed to believe YOU can't comprehend that? If you want to present your agrument, perhaps you could do so with a little more class and not purposely try to anger people by being belligerent.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Perhaps his point was that the only time race is brought up in this forum is by pro-illegals like yourself. NOT ONCE have I read someone saying they hate Mexicans, or they don't want Mexicans here. They say they don't want ILLEGALS here. People on here are tired of being labelled racist because they are against illegal immigration when it has absolutely NOTHING do with race, it has to do with people not respecting our country's laws or sovereignty. Most people on here are intelligent enough to know the difference. Am I supposed to believe YOU can't comprehend that? If you want to present your agrument, perhaps you could do so with a little more class and not purposely try to anger people by being belligerent.
Thanks for covering for me

What is evident to me is that the blatantly pro illegal crowd is becoming more and more 'shrill'--------their side is losing big time.

As it has been said: keep up the pressure.

Perhaps we 'should' copy down Mexico's ways of how they handle illegal immigration from Guatemala, etc.--------then, get ready to hear the screams of indignation from the pro illegals. Can someone say flagrant hypocrisy then?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
I didn't allude to a 'card game'.

What does or does not 'fly' with you has nothing to do with what I stated.

You want to say you aren't racist, that's something you can do.

But there's no dismissing the overt racism attached to this issue by attempting to pass it off as someone 'playing a card'.

The racism doesn't disappear because you want to frame it with a talking point.
The race card is an old, old trick. It doesn't work with us, because it has no meaning here.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,613 times
Default Lol...................................

You have to be kidding me. I seriously don't agree. I know you know someone that is Illegal. Be real. Look at our Country. We are number 1. There coutries are like 0's,literally. Why not take a risk on crossing the fence to live the American dream. We are the ones. Stop giving questions to provoke hate and lets be real. If only we go back to good old America. First and farmost in God we trust. Secondly, America circulates around money. I say set up national accounts. Mexicans pay mexican taxes. Chinese pay chinese taxes ect. In return we take that money and separate it. Half goes back to their country citizens for deportation of their illegals that come through and half comes back to Americans for our needs. Its simple and everyone is happy. By the way. Let them go back home. They are not as civilized. It takes a lot for them to adapt, and there crowding our schools.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 AM

Its true that illegals are driving, working and doing just about everything else in our country illegally. The true problem is how do we pick them out from the rest of the people who decided to do things legally. We cant. It will take years . We dont have that time. All Americans can be noted. Every other nationality will have to pay there own taxes to our goverment.They also should only recieve temporary passes to stay in our country if they cant prove to have income that will allow them to be self suffient. It only makes since. It doesnt matter if we debate for years on this subject. The fact of the matter is if we don't implement a law,we would have done nothing about this problem. Think about it.Illegals are working under the table. Which means we have no account on how many thousands of are U.S. dollars are being spent in other countries. Keep it home. Make them pay. For every dollar that goes over seas, take a quater. For every time an illegal gets caught driving and doesnt have license dont deport him, make him pay a big fine. Lets get our money back. What happend to America.We should have some dignity. Human life is more important then money. However,money makes our world go around.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 AM

In my opinion,( and I am an African American) racism is a factor. However this problem has to do with any race that breaks our laws.Not just one in particular. What since does it make to critize your neighbor. The America that raised me taught me that in God I trust.To love thy neighbor. Lets fix OUR problem without being so self righteous. Truely we come from all backrounds and different religions in life.No matter how much we debate, our laws are being broken. Our schools are over crowded and millions and millions of are dollars are going to other countries. Stop making it about "them" and focus on us.Nobody owns this land. We dont have one nationality. Hell we dont even have a chosen language. But you know as well as I, that in fact we live our lives based on economic advancement. SO.......... Stop making it about them. Its our problem. Lets make them pay to fix it, and stop sending our money away. For every dollar that is wired out of country, tax it. For every Illegal who wants to drive(they are gonna do it anyway)Tax them. From what I have found living among illegals, (I live in south Florida) they will pay.As much as we might not agree. I have witness someone save up 5,000 for license. Just to drive. Guess what though. An American took the money! So he entered him in the system as legal. Go figure! How do we know whos really legal.Set it up to where landlords, car salesman, banks and anyone collecting money in big quantities gives us those taxes.Immigrants are willing to pay. I think its time for Americans to collect. In return the money is split(Half to better develop our economy). You should only be allowed to stay if you prove to be self suffient. That way each child could have the American dream because the rest of the money could go to their education, health and well being - who would more then likely grow to marry one of our American sons and daughters.

Last edited by onecrystallove; 12-04-2007 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
The race card is an old, old trick. It doesn't work with us, because it has no meaning here.
"We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works."
- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant, and former candidate for the Arizona governership, quoted in The ProEnglish Advocate, 1st quarter, 2002

Today, as Alfredo Gutierrez approaches his 60th birthday, he is returning to his roots - a Latino activist, marching and protesting, championing a powerless, friendless population: Spanish-speaking (illegal) immigrants, the same people he protested for at ASU.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
You've got a strange idea that the U.S. is somehow unique, when it's not.
You're right---I've been to about 25 countries, and they're all pretty much like the US. That's why we have lots of immigrants coming here--they want to move to a place that's "just like home". Trouble between the races---religious killings----genocide---female mutilation---newspaper editors jailed for their opinions---. Yes, like you say, it's pretty much the same here as elsewhere.
The more I think about it, I don't see why anyone would want to come here at ALL...

Last edited by macmeal; 12-04-2007 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrystallove View Post
In my opinion,( and I am an African American) racism is a factor. However this problem has to do with any race that breaks our laws.Not just one in particular. What since does it make to critize your neighbor. The America that raised me taught me that in God I trust.To love thy neighbor. Lets fix OUR problem without being so self righteous. Truely we come from all backrounds and different religions in life.No matter how much we debate, our laws are being broken. Our schools are over crowded and millions and millions of are dollars are going to other countries. Stop making it about "them" and focus on us.Nobody owns this land. We dont have one nationality. Hell we dont even have a chosen language. But you know as well as I, that in fact we live our lives based on economic advancement. SO.......... Stop making it about them. Its our problem. Lets make them pay to fix it, and stop sending our money away. For every dollar that is wired out of country, tax it. For every Illegal who wants to drive(they are gonna do it anyway)Tax them. From what I have found living among illegals, (I live in south Florida) they will pay.As much as we might not agree. I have witness someone save up 5,000 for license. Just to drive. Guess what though. An American took the money! So he entered him in the system as legal. Go figure! How do we know whos really legal.Set it up to where landlords, car salesman, banks and anyone collecting money in big quantities gives us those taxes.Immigrants are willing to pay. I think its time for Americans to collect. In return the money is split(Half to better develop our economy). You should only be allowed to stay if you prove to be self suffient. That way each child could have the American dream because the rest of the money could go to their education, health and well being - who would more then likely grow to marry one of our American sons and daughters.
This sounds fine, and LOTS of what you say is already part of our laws---but how do you get anyone to enforce it? That's a lot of the problem. And, of course, when you're talking about illegal imigration, then of course, at some point, you're going to have to talk about "them". The whole idea is that illegals come here illegally, putting extra burdens on those who are citizens, as well as those immigrating legally. So it IS about "them", at least to a certain extent..

Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Thanks for covering for me

What is evident to me is that the blatantly pro illegal crowd is becoming more and more 'shrill'--------their side is losing big time.

As it has been said: keep up the pressure.

Perhaps we 'should' copy down Mexico's ways of how they handle illegal immigration from Guatemala, etc.--------then, get ready to hear the screams of indignation from the pro illegals. Can someone say flagrant hypocrisy then?
Excellent points.....yes, "Shrill"...I like that. Good description of what we're seeing...."Shrill".... Seriously, though, the normal human reaction to the discovery that you're losing credibilty in your argument is to just get LOUDER....I've seen it a thousand times, in the media, in the workplace, and in private conversation.

Early day civil rights spokesmen, like Dr. Martin Luther King, spoke in moderate, measured, well-reasoned tones. The tremendous "rightness" of what they were saying spoke for itself. No reasonable person could contradict them--at least not with a straight face. Dr. King could make his points quietly, because he HAD a point, and a very GOOD one.

Nowadays, there are a lot of civil rights disagreements that are just plain silly, bringing 'racism' into the picture at every opportunity. And, sensing the weakness of their arguments, some of these spokesmen today do get pretty "shrill"....they HAVE to, because otherwise, no one would listen. And, unfortunately, we're hearing a lot of this poorly-reasoned stuff right here on the "immigration" forum, scattered in among the more lucid posts...Immigration should have nothing to do with race....but some people on BOTH sides are determined that it should be a factor---indeed, in some cases the MAIN factor..

Thanks for reminding us of the "shrill" factor...

Last edited by macmeal; 12-04-2007 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration