Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,418,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Since this thread has been an update to the situation, I think it is important to restate the original case, and provide some historical perspective as to what lead to the original convictions:

Prosecutors in Sutton's office considered the conduct of Ramos and Compean outrageous enough that the two men were charged with seven and nine counts, respectively. Both were charged with assault with intent to commit murder. At trial, government prosecutors presented a case, supported by eyewitness testimony, that alleged the following: On Feb. 17, 2005, Aldrete-Davila led Border Patrol agents on a high-speed car chase that ended at a ditch about 120 yards from Mexico. Aldrete-Davila abandoned a van with 743 pounds of marijuana inside and made a dash for the border. Compean, on foot, intercepted Aldrete-Davila, who put his hands in the air to surrender.

At that point, according to trial testimony, Compean tried to hit Aldrete-Davila with the butt of his shotgun, missed, and fell into the 11-foot-deep ditch. Aldrete-Davila took off running. Compean climbed out of the ditch, shot at him 14 times and missed. Ramos, who had watched Compean fall, then fired once. The bullet entered Aldrete-Davila's left buttock, severed his urethra and came to rest in his right thigh. He fell down, but got back up, escaping across the Rio Grande into Mexico. The two agents then covered up the incident. Compean hid some of the shell casings and asked a third agent returning to the scene later that day to dispose of the rest. Neither Ramos nor Compean ever reported the shooting. They were arrested a month later, and then only because America's border with Mexico is like a very long and skinny small town. Aldrete-Davila's mother is friends with the mother-in-law of Rene Sanchez, a Border Patrol agent in Arizona. After hearing about the incident from his mother-in-law, Sanchez sent a report to the Department of Homeland Security in Washington, which then dispatched a special agent to Texas to investigate.

At trial in the federal courthouse in El Paso, Border Patrol agents from the Fabens station took the stand to testify against Ramos and Compean. Fellow agents, including one who had observed the shooting, contradicted Compean's story about where he was and how he was positioned when he fired his weapon. The agent who had helped Compean hide shell casings admitted it under oath. Prosecutors showed that Compean had repeatedly changed his story about the shooting and that it didn't match Ramos' account. They were also able to show that although Compean had discussed the shooting with other agents after it happened, it wasn't until his arrest that he began claiming that Aldrete-Davila had had a gun.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...ean/index.html
Thank you for this because I think that allot of people do not know the whole story....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM

902 posts, read 714,758 times
You are right and the writer of that article does not know the whole story at all and he proves it by what he wrote.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,167,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
You are right and the writer of that article does not know the whole story at all and he proves it by what he wrote.
What I extracted was only the summation of the main points in the trial. It seemed to have been lost in the discussion of the case.

If you read the attached article itself, it is far more extensive in the analysis of the events leading up to the trial, the trial itself, and actions which have taken place subsequent to the trial.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,862,344 times
When I clicked on the link and saw these words at the beginning I began to wonder about the writer's agenda.

"How the anti-immigration right -- and Lou Dobbs -- turned two rogue Border Patrol agents into heroes and got Congress on their side."

There are dozens of articles out there and I wish I could get hold of the actual transcripts of the trial.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,167,795 times
Agreed Synopsis, which is why I only extracted the portion of the article having to do with the trial itself. I viewed the remainder as more of an opinion, but the trial part seemed pretty specific in stating the legal issues leading to the conviction.

If nothing else, it at least shows that other factors lead to the conviction.

I haven't read these, but at the bottom should be the transcripts themselves (can't vouch for accuracy of claim though):

U.S. Attorney's Office - Western District of Texas

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
When I clicked on the link and saw these words at the beginning I began to wonder about the writer's agenda.

"How the anti-immigration right -- and Lou Dobbs -- turned two rogue Border Patrol agents into heroes and got Congress on their side."

There are dozens of articles out there and I wish I could get hold of the actual transcripts of the trial.
Exactly!!! He starts off by stating an out and out lie and showing where he is coming from. He is pro-illegal and hates for the laws to be followed. Lou Dobbs is not anti-immigrant. He is anti-illegal, as are the majority of the people in this country. When a person states that statement he shows that the article is not inbiased in any way whatsoever.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Agreed Synopsis, which is why I only extracted the portion of the article having to do with the trial itself. I viewed the remainer as more of an opinion, but the trial part seemed pretty specific in stating the legal issues leading to the conviction.

If nothing else, it at least shows that other factors lead to the conviction.
But he fails to state the LIES that the drug runner told in court and the fact that Sutton and the judge would not allow a full defense of all arguments for the case.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,862,344 times
I think this website offers a pretty objective view. It pretty much states what the article New posted, but with rebuttal and some interesting facts or observances, such as the Texas DPS performing the investigation instead of the FBI, and some pretty suspicious behavior on behalf of their (ramos and campeon) supervisor and others involved before, during, and after the trial. It is from the US House of Representatives so I think it would be a pretty reliable source.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5uVoVVHoWoAPx1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE4b240ZDB wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0gwNDRfNzUEb ANXUzE-/SIG=132b76c4s/EXP=1196880661/**http%3a//poe.house.gov/UploadedFiles/CRS%2520Brief_Ramos%2520%26%2520Compean.pdf (broken link)

poe.house.gov/UploadedFiles/CRS Brief_Ramos & Compean.pdf

Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,418,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Actually, I'd say that's Alex Koppelman's opinion of what happened. Certainly not the historical prespective.

This is Joe Loya's version of what happened. Joe is the father-in-law of Agent Ramos.

Joe Loya Letter
Hawk Thanks! Because I myself was unaware that there were different stories out there. I usually get mine from grassfire them self in an e-mail alert.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,338,368 times
Well, I don't see how law officers can be accused of "intent to commit murder". Isn't that a little different for police? And, they thought he might have a gun, and obviously, he wasn't going to give himself up.

I think they should just have been accused of covering it up, which they probably did because they knew there would be a problem, and that the low-life drug runner would get away with whatever he said. We're kind of partial to illegals here in the U.S. , as opposed to actual citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration