Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,144,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Thats still a generation .
I assume that your school has taught you the difference between singular and plural nouns....yes?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM

377 posts, read 684,507 times
[quote=TheLadyRides;2148917](And the blacks came here because they were sold out by their own kings, to whoever would pay the price; the practice was known in Europe long before it came to our shores.)

Lol.., And I guess to find the American dream too eh.. Give us a break please….

Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,024 times
Quote:
came here because they were sold out by their own kings, to whoever would pay the price; the practice was known in Europe long before it came to our shores.)
Last time I checked the text books they were forced here by the white men against their will..?

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,550,007 times
Quote:
Last time I checked the text books they were forced here by the white men against their will..?
I've checked recent public school textbooks, and you're right. Almost ALL of the evil done in the past was by White Men, according to these textbooks--I'm looking at one on my table right now, from the local 9th grade curriculum..

But I'm confident in the accuracy of OTHER, more scholarly works on history I've read, which basically stated that these folks were gathered up in the African interior by various means--(usually they were the "losers" in inter-tribal warfare---or even collected as 'tribute' by more powerful tribes)--and were then "collected" in groups by traveling "brokers" (almost always Arabs) who force-marched them to loading areas on the coast (some of which you could visit TODAY), and THEN they were inspected and "bought" by white ship crews (many of whom were Americans) who were engaged in the vicious "triangle trade"---( A Load of cotton, molasses or tobacco from South Carolina to Boston---then a load of manufactured "trade goods" from Boston to West Africa---then a load of human beings from Africa back to America, and on an on in a "triangle" route).

Slavery was horrible and shameful. But it existed in many societies, and still does, to some extent to this day. Our "American" version became famous because WE finally, as a society, decided we could no longer tolerate its evil presence. But "White Men" couldn't have sustained it alone, and what slavery that is STILL going on, has little to do with "whites". It's a widespread human evil, like rape or torture.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've checked recent public school textbooks, and you're right. Almost ALL of the evil done in the past was by White Men, according to these textbooks--I'm looking at one on my table right now, from the local 9th grade curriculum..

But I'm confident in the accuracy of OTHER, more scholarly works on history I've read, which basically stated that these folks were gathered up in the African interior by various means--(usually they were the "losers" in inter-tribal warfare---or even collected as 'tribute' by more powerful tribes)--and were then "collected" in groups by traveling "brokers" (almost always Arabs) who force-marched them to loading areas on the coast (some of which you could visit TODAY), and THEN they were inspected and "bought" by white ship crews (many of whom were Americans) who were engaged in the vicious "triangle trade"---( A Load of cotton, molasses or tobacco from South Carolina to Boston---then a load of manufactured "trade goods" from Boston to West Africa---then a load of human beings from Africa back to America, and on an on in a "triangle" route).

Slavery was horrible and shameful. But it existed in many societies, and still does, to some extent to this day. Our "American" version became famous because WE finally, as a society, decided we could no longer tolerate its evil presence. But "White Men" couldn't have sustained it alone, and what slavery that is STILL going on, has little to do with "whites". It's a widespread human evil, like rape or torture.
Chattel Slavery still exists today.Teenage girls they are forced to work around the house with no pay, girls usually from various countries.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,115,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'

Correct: it was the British who started clamping down on shipping slaves from Africa-------to the evident chagrin of many other societies.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,550,007 times
Quote:
Chattel Slavery still exists today.Teenage girls they are forced to work around the house with no pay, girls usually from various countries.
Yep---there was a rich couple in Brentwood (I think) They were Indonesians, and had been apparently importing girls against their will right into California. Sounds like the kind of forced "housework" you are talking about. One finally "escaped" and flagged down a police car, and the couple were "busted". Even more weird, there was some sort of garment factory right near here in an industrial neighborhood, where young girls from Mainland China were forced to sew garments 60 hours per week or so. Some had been in the US for nearly a year, and had never set foot off the owners' property since they arrived. They were locked in at all times..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.