Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 PM

67 posts, read 256,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Haha! If she turns up her nose at working in a restaurant, just wait until she sees some of the stuff she has to deal with in medicine.

yea really, still can't believe it but her heart's in the right place. She does have a babysitting job..and works as a clerk at Albertson's..so I think her work ethic is just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Had to smile there: Portuguese swing 'both ways'------I have seen Americans of the above group claim both Anglo and Hispanic heritage.
I'll tell you what though. My sign language teacher's mother is from Cape Verde and claims herself Latina. My uncle who is from Madeira, listens to Ranchera. When we go to their house we get to eat Mexican food with a hint of Portuguese. Hows that for multi cultural?

Old 12-02-2007, 04:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
In my area illegals do the following:
Nanny/Day care
Housekeeper
Lawn Care/Landscaper
Dishwasher
Bus Boy
Golf course maintenance
Banquet server
Fast Food
Home Construction
Home Remodeling
Kitchen help/cooks
Waiter/waitress
Retail
Fast food
Laundry
Plumber
Fence building
Tree trimming

We hired illegals at one of my former jobs - well, unknowingly because you don't know it until SSA sends you the list - but they were paid $8-15/hour to start. No Americans applied for the positions, except perhaps for legal relatives of the illegals.

I have no problems with the illegals. Most of them are are good hard workers. There is one fast food place near me that doesn't have any and it's a trip to see white English speakers working there. You just don't see that anymore. But whatever. If this new law or whatever it is gets going - the one that is stayed right now - then it will be interesting to see how it goes. With the current education focus being to get every student in America into and through college who will mow the grass on the golf course?

Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Sounds to me your sister might be alittle spoiled. There are plenty of kids working in the food industry after school hours and while they are in college.

Try taking her food away from her for a couple of days and see if she would work in the food industry then.

I really don't think she is going to start out as a CEO of a 500 company when she gets out of college.
I worked in a cafe in high school and a couple of retail jobs in college, but my main gig was working in a one-hour photo lab...hot, dangerous work from time to time. It really motivates you to finish your education. However, if that's ALL I could do in order to feed myself, I'd take a job in retail or food service. Am I SOOOOOOOOO much better than other people that I'd rather starve and be homeless than do a thankless job? Eh...NO. Just because I don't want to does not mean I wouldn't if circumstances dictated it.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I'll tell you what though. My sign language teacher's mother is from Cape Verde and claims herself Latina. My uncle who is from Madeira, listens to Ranchera. When we go to their house we get to eat Mexican food with a hint of Portuguese. Hows that for multi cultural?
And; on the other side of the coin, I referred to a full blood Portuguese American as a Hispanic-------Leah (her name) turned towards me and told me she was White, not Hispanic at all.

Note that I meant no disrespect towards the woman.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I

I have no problems with the illegals. Most of them are are good hard workers. There is one fast food place near me that doesn't have any and it's a trip to see white English speakers working there. You just don't see that anymore. But whatever. If this new law or whatever it is gets going - the one that is stayed right now - then it will be interesting to see how it goes. With the current education focus being to get every student in America into and through college who will mow the grass on the golf course?
To be blunt:

A college degree no longer carries the punch it once did-------40 years ago a BA/BS was the ticket to the white collar good life.

Now; the entry degree for many jobs is a Masters.......and, the wages oftentimes are not all that great--------teachers come to mind.

Now: as fewer and fewer people enter blue collar fields; the wages will be forced upwards hence attracting more qualified applicants-------especially as the illegal immigrant flow is being shut off.

Besides: what many college recruiters fail to mention is of the main reasons of not the biggest one that many Yuppies make the bigger $$$ is because they work and/or are 'on call' 60-80 hours a week.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
I am an American with Irish heritage. Luckily, there were no illegals in the town where I went to college, because in order to pay for college I had to work in retail, wash dishes, and worked as a busser. If the town I went to college in had been overran by illegals, I would not have gotten any of my previous retail jobs or bussing jobs or dishwashing jobs. Without my previous retail and bussing experience I would not have had the money to finish college. I know many college students in the town I currently live in who are being forced to drop out of school because they can't find a job because the city I live in now is overran by illegals. We don't need illegals here because there are people who don't have parents paying for college who have to take any job they can find to pay for college. Scholarships, grants, and student loans just don't simply cover everything you need in college.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am an American with Irish heritage. Luckily, there were no illegals in the town where I went to college, because in order to pay for college I had to work in retail, wash dishes, and worked as a busser. If the town I went to college in had been overran by illegals, I would not have gotten any of my previous retail jobs or bussing jobs or dishwashing jobs. Without my previous retail and bussing experience I would not have had the money to finish college. I know many college students in the town I currently live in who are being forced to drop out of school because they can't find a job because the city I live in now is overran by illegals. We don't need illegals here because there are people who don't have parents paying for college who have to take any job they can find to pay for college. Scholarships, grants, and student loans just don't simply cover everything you need in college.
When situations call for desperate measures, one must move. Why wait for jobs to come to you? Also, are you aware that there are Government grants available and student loans which you can pay off a year later or once you have a job?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
When situations call for desperate measures, one must move. Why wait for jobs to come to you? Also, are you aware that there are Government grants available and student loans which you can pay off a year later or once you have a job?
Everyone can not get a grant. And maybe they needed the money to eat and for rent. My son finished college six years ago and had I not paid off his student loans for him he would still be paying on them.

And even more, WHY should an American be forced to move because of illegals. Last I heard this was still the United States of America.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Everyone can not get a grant. And maybe they needed the money to eat and for rent. My son finished college six years ago and had I not paid off his student loans for him he would still be paying on them.

And even more, WHY should an American be forced to move because of illegals. Last I heard this was still the United States of America.
Like I said, desperate calls call for desperate measures. Theres nothing we as Americans can do to stop illegal immigration. The government always has the final word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration