U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM

9,230 posts, read 10,858,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A physical barrier would help the Border Patrol immensely erected on the most porous areas. The double layered wall along 700 miles of our southern border which was approved by congress but never funded would have reduced illegal immigration quite a lot. That should be the goal. No one saying that it would end it altogether. I have found that those who object to it have a hidden agenda to want illegal immigration to continue unfettered.
Absolutely NOT in my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,469,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
If you've never visited the Big Bend area of Texas, for example, you can't comprehend the vast remoteness of so many of these areas. Most of the land, outside of the park, is also privately owned ranches, zillions of acres each. I think most people think of the area between San Diego and Tijuana when they think of the border. I can't even imagine how they would go about building fences along the Texas-Mexico in the most remote parts even if I DID think it was a good idea.
If you've ever been to El Paso however, you would understand why a fence is needed.

A lot of illegals aren't going to cross in a vast remoteness. Human traffickers moving through a remote area might actually be detected by cameras and apprehended but if you had any idea of how it is in a city like El Paso, you'd understand the people in that article. They've got to live in fear of the types of illegals who can easily cross from Juarez directly into their stores and homes.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you've ever been to El Paso however, you would understand why a fence is needed.

A lot of illegals aren't going to cross in a vast remoteness. Human traffickers moving through a remote area might actually be detected by cameras and apprehended but if you had any idea of how it is in a city like El Paso, you'd understand the people in that article. They've got to live in fear of the types of illegals who can easily cross from Juarez directly into their stores and homes.
Yes! I agree! El Paso (and San Diego, etc...) are where a border fence can help. But in the really, REALLY remote areas, people have no idea what it's like there, and how next to impossible it would be to do. El Paso is a good sized city. The areas I'm speaking of are a 5 hour or more drive from any city. I probably would have been all over a border wall, until I actually went to these places. Now I LAUGH when people suggest it. Even Rick Perry (I'm not a fan) knows it's ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 AM

Adding, this brings me back to my original point. Most of these people are not being brought in by "coyotes". They are walking or driving right in at Juarez/El Paso, or Laredo, or whatever. They come in with fake, and even sometimes legitimate, IDs and don't leave. My point is that a fence is a politician's way of saying he/she is doing something, but won't change a thing.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 AM

36,244 posts, read 16,208,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Absolutely NOT in my case.
Good, I am glad to hear that. I still disagree with you however that the double layered wall wouldn't cut back/deter illegal immigration and that it won't help the Border Patrol. It has already proven to work along a sector near the San Diego border.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Good, I am glad to hear that. I still disagree with you however that the double layered wall wouldn't cut back/deter illegal immigration and that it won't help the Border Patrol. It has already proven to work along a sector near the San Diego border.
See, I agree it works in populated places. I'd invite you to visit our very remote areas of Texas...not only to see what I'm talking about...but also because I think they're some of the most beautiful parts of the country. In order to build these walls, first they'd have to deal with lots of very wealthy land owners who tend to like having access to the Rio Grande. They'd have to block off the river in a national park and (huge) state park. They'd also have to build roads so they could bring supplies back and forth 200, sometimes more, miles. Really, I've told people I can't wait to get back to far West Texas because it's like visiting the moon with lots of mountains, small canyons, and a night sky that cannot be beat in the USA.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 AM

520 posts, read 961,932 times
The problem with fences is that they have to be maintained.

The existing fences are enough of a maintenance nightmare as it is. Every night, coyotes cut holes in the fences big enough to drive trucks through, and every day, they have to be repaired.

When you're talking about building more fences over the kind of expanses TXNGL is referring to, you're talking about a logistical impossibility. There aren't enough Border Patrol agents to patrol that kind of territory, let alone enough resources to keep those fences operative/effective.

Fences do their jobs in some heavily populated areas, but having fences everywhere is more of a feel-good measure, I think.

As far as the Berlin Wall, that was a different animal. It was meant more to keep people IN than out. It was also made more effective by things which would never fly on the SW U.S. border - like minefields, machine gun bunkers, and guards who would shoot first and ask questions later.

The problem with illegal immigration has never been cops not enforcing the law - it's been politicians not allowing cops to enforce the law.

I don't think we'll ever come up with a truly effective measure to thwart illegals down south as long as our country is so divided over whether we should do so or not.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:08 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,708,042 times
Let's ask Putin about building a fence that is effective.

Seems the old Soviet Union did build a fence that was hard to penetrate.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM

36,244 posts, read 16,208,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
The problem with fences is that they have to be maintained.

The existing fences are enough of a maintenance nightmare as it is. Every night, coyotes cut holes in the fences big enough to drive trucks through, and every day, they have to be repaired.

When you're talking about building more fences over the kind of expanses TXNGL is referring to, you're talking about a logistical impossibility. There aren't enough Border Patrol agents to patrol that kind of territory, let alone enough resources to keep those fences operative/effective.

Fences do their jobs in some heavily populated areas, but having fences everywhere is more of a feel-good measure, I think.

As far as the Berlin Wall, that was a different animal. It was meant more to keep people IN than out. It was also made more effective by things which would never fly on the SW U.S. border - like minefields, machine gun bunkers, and guards who would shoot first and ask questions later.

The problem with illegal immigration has never been cops not enforcing the law - it's been politicians not allowing cops to enforce the law.

I don't think we'll ever come up with a truly effective measure to thwart illegals down south as long as our country is so divided over whether we should do so or not.
What I was referring to is not a fence at all. It is the double layered wall approved by congress a few years ago but never funded. A section of it was built along the San Diego and it was very effective. Little to no maintenance.

I don't think our country's citizens are that much divided on enforcing our immigration laws. Just some of our government's leaders and some greedy employers and some ethnocentric citizens demanding that we don't. They are the minority not the majority.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM

62 posts, read 73,477 times
An electronic fence would work but few talk about that. Best solution is to put up a keep out sign and make those caught trying to sneak in learn a lesson they will NEVER FORGET... stop playing games with these invaders...Soon it will be election time here and once again as has been for the last 20 years the crooks wanting to be elected will "talk the talk" only to go silent about the illegal alien problem after they get elected.......The people elected need a lesson they will never forget also.

Last edited by ElSneak; 02-25-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration